Poll: Converting people to the hobby? How many?

How many people are you responsible for bringing to the "dark side"

Votes: 208 41.7%
  • 1-2

Votes: 191 38.3%
  • 3-4

Votes: 49 9.8%
  • 4-5

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • 6-9

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 10+ spreading love for this hobby is a full-time job!

Votes: 38 7.6%

• Total voters

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't help anybody unless they ask me a dozen times over a period of six months. They see my tank and it looks easy, but they have no idea. The only guy that I have brought into the hobby worked his way through African cichlids, freshwater planted and now reef and has really done a good job of gaining the necessary experience and temperament. He is thriving. ...the rest just want it now with no work.

It is easier just to become friends with folks who are in the hobby already.

Doug 7727

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm told I'm just obsessed with the hobby I try and I do emphasize try to convert everyone I meet. Saltwater I've only been doing it for a few months and went straight to reef tank love it though
8873aca87a0c2b23bc0b9949761018bc.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on it. lol I have a good friend who is fascinated by my tank, and i've offered to get him started, but he's to afraid to take the plunge. But I'm hoping one day at least one of my two girls will get into it.

KMSReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to put a big zero in the poll. After seeing pictures and videos of my tank, my wife's parents had me set one up at their place but they avoid calling it their tank at all costs and when the topic of teaching them how to do anything comes up they just tell me I'm just going to have to come visit a lot.

lightningreef2690

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend who is just as much of an animal person as i am and we got into keeping and breeding reptiles together and when i made the switch away from reptiles to marine he followed suit. Its nice to have someone to talk reefing with.

So yeah 1 convert so far...

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3-4 but I try to change over to the dark side all the time. I got my in laws into fresh water. Trying to convert them to salty side of the world.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
freshwater can do some neat neat stuff. I have been experimenting with a system so hands off, its got dust on the outside I have to wipe off occasionally :)

ill never be without a freshwater tank for sure. many of the hands off/self balancing ecosystems people want are found right there in freshwater arrangements ripe for experimentation, reefers have to enjoy the tinkering a bit as a side hobby it seems to really keep it up long term. there are set and forget planted systems that anyone could keep with shockingly low maintenance. I just barely fed mine, last time I fed it was prob October. I hadn't even topped it off in nearly that long, it had almost drained down to nothing and shrimps were crowded but they adapt. such is the flood plain biology and weather action/

people really want systems that are not natural tinkerers but enjoy the horticulture and biology aspects. I think making stand alone, ultra low maintenance systems is the way to get more into the science long term. those that want to experiment can, but those who want a simple long working system totally low maintenance has that option as well. as we crank out more innovations we'll get tons of new participants

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I see I’m not alone in my efforts!!

Reef Jeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that gif says it all...Haha! I'm at zero too. Hmmm...I can't find anyone who wants to start a new addiction, spend a ton of money, play with lots of new gadgets and spend their free time on forums, testing, water changes and trips to the LFS? Guess I'm the crazy one...lol. On the other hand, this forum has a TON of members so there are a lot of crazies out there. I don't know, there is just something really appealing about this hobby. My other hobby is classic cars and that forum doesn't have near as many members.

This sure beats the other addictive options. Haven't seen any "reef" rehabs open up lately.

burtbollinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0...this isnt not the type of hobby I've ever advocated to anyone who isnt super into it.

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried and as soon as I tell them whats involved in getting the fish qt before they go into the display, almost everyone loses interest and calls me crazy for doing what I do lol... "what? hospital tank? one whole month? you mean you can't just dump them in?...you paid that much for that fish?" LOL.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working for a pet store I have had a few people that I got to start a saltwater tank.

I worked for a pet store for a while too so I answered 10+. I have never ensnared someone I knew well, but it was a good friend who got me to switch from freshwater to saltwater.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried to help others.
Most of the time they are unwilling to learn about the nitrogen cycle and the process with setting up a new tank.

They put in too many things too fast that leads to... :eek:

You really have to want to be an amateur marine biologist to keep aquariums. I love the biology, chemistry and math. Most of the learning begins with only a basic high school level understanding needed.

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None.

One of the problems with living in a high cost of living area is that no one else has any disposable income. Add to that fires, mudslides, perpetual drought and earthquakes and you get nothing but eye-rolls when the hobby comes up in conversation.

Haven't let any of that stop me though... TALLY-HO!!

Vincent100

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friends that come into my house just stand and stare at my tank
All of them say they want one and start asking about cost and how much I've spent since starting ....... That's when they sit down and start talking about getting a dog or cat instead lol
I did get one friend to the dark side but he spilt with he's partner couldn't look after the tank properly and it started to crash
I ended up with the tank equipment corals and fish

Pivitol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anything I have probably deterred people from this hobby, when i ask them "have you ever kept fish" and they respond "oh ya I have had a 20 gal with goldfish and some neons for about 2 months now" then I usually give them this
giphy (73).gif

And then when I tell them about cost and maintenance they are usually like

giphy (79).gif

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back