Poll: Converting people to the hobby? How many?

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by 4FordFamily, Jan 18, 2018.

?
  1. 0

207 vote(s)
    41.6%
  2. 1-2

191 vote(s)
    38.4%
  3. 3-4

49 vote(s)
    9.8%
  4. 4-5

12 vote(s)
    2.4%
  5. 6-9

1 vote(s)
    0.2%
  6. 10+ spreading love for this hobby is a full-time job!

38 vote(s)
    7.6%
  1. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Curious to see how many of you have converted friends or people local to the hobby. I feel like I am a big cheerleader for this hobby, and I am constantly (without realizing it sometimes) trying to find local people to share my passion with.

For me, it's one. @HotRockTarBaby is a local friend and he jumped in to this hobby HARD! Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL, quarantine tank, rock and coral quarantines, and he learns FAST. It's nice to have someone local to help (because no one else has the patience for this hobby that isn't in it or understands), to bounce ideas off of, trade with, etc.

He's a bad influence to me too, tells me we are buying Gem tangs in December 2018!

I know some people "sell" lots of people on this hobby, how many people have you "converted?"

Tags:

2. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

I'm a slacker and haven't converted anyone. That may change in the near future as several people have seen my system in the last few months and expressed interest.

GoVols, WWIII, jsker and 1 other person like this.
  3. happyhourhero

happyhourhero Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

I am at zero. I get to talking about it and after a few minutes its this...
    ttt.gif

4. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Boy is that a fact! hahaha

mtamorrow, WWIII and jsker like this.
  5. Haggisman14

Haggisman14 Active Member Build Thread Contributor

I'm working on 2 :) My father and father-in-law.

My dad's a big pond guy...has had koi ponds that he's made and remade for the last 25 years. He just moved local to me, and he's trying to decide if he wants to do a pond first, or a tank...tank's probably a few years out...if he ends up doing it.

My father-in-law has never been in the hobby, but has seen pics of my old tanks, and sees my passion for it now. Especially after seeing videos of the corals from some of the guys like Battle Corals, Jason Fox, Boom Corals, Cherry Corals, and World Wide Corals...he wants to have his own slice of the ocean. Right now he's just trying to figure out what he wants, and how "big" he wants to go.

GoVols and 4FordFamily like this.
  6. Haggisman14

Haggisman14 Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Yup Amen to that. I feel like unless people are standing in front of your tank when you're talking about it....most lose interest really really quickly!

7. jsker

jsker Reefing is all about the adventure Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

I have tried, then I get that stare, you know the one
    Crazy stare.gif

8. DSC reef

DSC reef Coral wasted R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Does my wife count? Lol.

NY_Caveman, JoshH, Brew12 and 6 others like this.
  9. jsker

jsker Reefing is all about the adventure Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Yep!!;)

cracker, Brew12, GoVols and 4 others like this.
  10. WWIII

WWIII Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor LMAS Member

Gotta start young I guess? Hoping my daughter will be interested in the hobby! She's only 4 months, loves the tank so far. Haha.

Yeah people just don't understand. If they are there in front of the tank they think it's cool. Just talking to them about my hobby, say at dinner or whatever, they don't really have much to say. Outsiders are more impressed and intrigued when they see my basement equipment room than anything else. "All this for that tank upstairs? How did you know how to do all this?" Very common

Cameron Wise, JoshH, GoVols and 4 others like this.
  11. DSC reef

DSC reef Coral wasted R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

She's got those freshwater skills like no other, it just needed a dash of salt...;Hilarious;)

GoVols, jsker, 4FordFamily and 2 others like this.
  12. WWIII

WWIII Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor LMAS Member

Definitely have gotten this look, more than once!

GoVols, jsker and DSC reef like this.
  13. 4FordFamily

My equipment turns people off, they say it’s too much! In truth, relative to most of you my tanks are VERY minimal!

sfin52, JoshH, Brew12 and 4 others like this.
  14. DSC reef

That's awesome, I remember when our toddler was just 4 months old staring at the tank. I think the true test to see if our children are into the hobby is there reaction when I ask them to change the skimmer cup;) Our 2 year old can actualy name some corals in the tank like zoas, acans, monti. Lol

sfin52, 4FordFamily, Dsnakes and 4 others like this.
  15. Lovemyreef2015

Lovemyreef2015 I love Acans! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Working for a pet store I have had a few people that I got to start a saltwater tank.

16. jsker

Kind of how I got started, My parents used to set me in the crib, in front of the fresh water tank a long time ago in a far far away galaxy of childhood. It was all over from there.:D

17. jsker

You know she reading this:rolleyes:;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

sfin52, crabs_mcjones, JoshH and 6 others like this.
  18. XNavyDiver

XNavyDiver Insightful answer loading... please wait. R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

You have a nice situation. I wish my wife and I had something similar. The few people were around give us that "I have no idea what you're talking about and don't care" look.

19. Lovemyreef2015

Lovemyreef2015 I love Acans! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

:D;)

GoVols and DSC reef like this.
  20. XNavyDiver

XNavyDiver Insightful answer loading... please wait. R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Yep. I'm familiar with that look.

sfin52, 4FordFamily, GoVols and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted