Votes: 334 57.5%

• Total voters

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife and I made the trip out from California. We always have a great time at RAP Orlando. Trying to decide if we're going to NY RAP. Being a part of the crew who puts on the Anaheim California show makes that one a no brainier.
Really enjoyed the after gathering at WWC with @revhtree and the Reef2Reef crew. Actually walked away with a Vectra L1 in that raffle.
As much fun as it is to buy corals/gear at these shows, the best part for me is getting to see friends, and making new ones from all over the country.
Here we are, the Anaheim RAP crew with Rev, Vic and Lou from WWC at today's R2R gathering at WWC
IMG_20180409_143935965.jpg

Last edited:

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already had the week off for work and I'm originally from Tampa so I went down to visit family Thurs and Friday. Then went to RAP on Saturday and headed home after. I hit the road at 2:30pm and ended up getting home at Midnight because the entire state of Michigan apparently went to Florida for Spring Break and caused tons of traffic.

I wish the event was held in a bigger space because it looked like the NYSE trading floor in an 80s movie. Props on getting all of those people through the door so quickly. I was surprised at just how much variety there was when it came to pricing...Curious if that's being caused at the supplier level or at the vendor level. I was excited to sit in on Kent's lecture but, after some reflection on it, the premise was just a retaliatory presentation against Triton (or someone like Triton) for negging him. He also could have really done with a trial run at home.

PROs:
-Lots of vendors
-Surprisingly decent amount of softies. I got a nepthea and a neon toadstool. Who would have figured people would have those at the swap in this stick-crazed hobby?
-I'm really not into haggling so I was glad that most prices seemed good enough without having to do so
-Coolest thing I saw on the day were the Walking Dendros
-Got a year's supply of Chemipure Blue for my IM10 (which is only a few of the sample packets)

CONs:
-I really wish there had been more bargain bin options. And what few there were only had zoas (which is great, I'm just maxed out on them)
-I absolutely love the reef foundations and the idea of saving reefs but I didn't like how pushy their sales tactics were.
-Strollers! You're spending $20/person on tickets, and (probably) dropping hundreds of dollars on coral, you couldn't get a babysitter? I absolutely understand that, at its root, this is a children's hobby. I was happy to get out of several kid's way so they could see the frag tanks better, but there was absolutely not enough space for your double-baby stroller.

TLDR: I had a great time, got good coral (and a clam) at good prices. I don't like crowds so take my complaints with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

edc_aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was my first time going and it was a lot better then I thought, there was a lot of good looking corals for some good prices

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband and I didn't make it this year. Between me being 13 weeks away from having a baby and we are closing on first house soon. It was just to much to try and plan. We will be there next year for sure!
@DSC reef

Congrats on new house and new addition to the family. Exciting times lay ahead. ;)

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0D0C8946-7C4D-4EF0-87D2-DA4FA640C62B.jpeg
5849B80F-7B92-4713-86CF-EDF202A7FEFF.jpeg
971B1F99-36AB-4E8A-95FC-C92D19495C88.jpeg
EC6CA67B-757A-4BC5-BEAC-C8AE131DF8B2.jpeg
I went Saturday w my son. Met Rev and his wife. Super nice peeps!!
Picked up some Awesome Zoa’s from Josh Pork sandwich, Jason Fox, and unique Corals. All real Nice
Blues Clues
Illuminati’s
Sick Magicians
Speckled Kraks
Blow pops
Treehouse of Horrors
JF Fairy Tales
And some other insane super bright skirt No names. Also filled up on Aqua Rx replacement filters, and a few other things. Great time. Spent all day there.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahahaha.
I told em , “will work for coral”.

As the supposed head of the security team I give you full authority to bother WWC, RR, and whomever else you wish as much as your heart desires.

^^ How to lose a job in one post

Appaloosa1224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anyone get the name of the guys who had a big tank full of rock flower anemones for $20? I guess I didn't grab their card and I can't find them by looking at the floorplan.

bobbyM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My family had a great time! Nobody trampled or abducted my one year old and he did not destroy even one booth because we had him strapped down in a stroller, and I got to introduce my family to long time friends in the industry. It was a great family event! My wife picked up several pieces for her new 20 gallon reef tank. So did I. I felt like there were deals out there. The more you talk to venders before asking for the best price helps. <-- Pro Tip. I understand venders not wanting to deal first day. These venders travel a long way and have lots of expenses themselves just to be there. Best deals are usually when they are packing up to leave, bring cash. But, I found a vender that kept dropping prices on the stuff I was looking at day one. Jerk took all my money because I couldn't not pay what he was asking. lol We spent a total of $110 and took home 8 pieces. These were a couple of my favorites.

IMG_5471.jpg

IMG_5469.jpg

Jr'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made it this year, had a great time. Walked out with 14 frags [emoji28]
I do agree that it should be put in a larger area next year. It was a little to tight. Loved the @gotcorals booth and R2R booth

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad they are moving it next year. I hope the new venue is much larger because this was way too tight and cramped.

I did get the new Apex unit at 10% off so that was great. Other than that, the prices seemed to be all over the place. Good deals, typical prices and some over priced.

We probably won't go early again. The raffles are at 4:00PM and there's no way I could spend 5 hours walking around there. The freebies for the first 500 aren't worth it for the crowd and the time waiting in line to get in. We'll probably go late in the day next year. From what I've heard the crowds dies out by then and you can actually walk around and see things and talk to vendors.

The R2R event on Monday at WWC was very cool. I didn't have any idea what a coral farm would look like so I didn't know what to expect. What an amazing place.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back