Votes: 334 57.5%

• Total voters

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went Sunday, arrived at 10:30ish and got in line (which was a couple hundred long at the time) which ended up in snagging a bag of freebies. I enjoy talking to the vendors and made sure I made my rounds to see some of the products I've been wanting to see in person (like the Neptune Systems Trident). I spent a lot more time this year talking to some of the bigger vendors which made the day pass much faster. I left about 5:30 which was after all the raffles (which are obviously rigged as I didn't win anything ;)).

This is the first year that I left without buying a coral, all I got this time was a magnetic frag rack (almost got a reef racks but ended up with a Eshopps Lotus mag at my wife's request) to get some of my frags away from my malicious nassarius snails.

A few positives:
-Good array of dealers/vendors
-New products on display (ReefBot by Reef Kinetics, Trident by Neptune Systems, Klir Roll filter by IceCap)
-Still has a very positive, friendly atmosphere

A few negatives:
-This was my 3rd year and it seemed like all of the coral vendors jacked up their prices (don't know if RAP raised booth fees and this is how they compensated), but corals that I see in store for $10/polyp were being sold here at $15/polyp, seemed consistent throughout most booths
-Aisles "felt" smaller/narrower there were times where I found myself seriously sidestepping through people looking at booths, I hope next year's location allows for just a little more room for the aisles.
-One that can't be fixed by RAP, people oblivious to the amount of room they are taking up near a booth preventing others from being able to look as well
-Raffle felt a little sparse, there was no "big tank" give-away this year, and more random products than normal - some felt like things that booths were just trying to unload

ChelleBelle127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already had the week off for work and I'm originally from Tampa so I went down to visit family Thurs and Friday. Then went to RAP on Saturday and headed home after. I hit the road at 2:30pm and ended up getting home at Midnight because the entire state of Michigan apparently went to Florida for Spring Break and caused tons of traffic.

I wish the event was held in a bigger space because it looked like the NYSE trading floor in an 80s movie. Props on getting all of those people through the door so quickly. I was surprised at just how much variety there was when it came to pricing...Curious if that's being caused at the supplier level or at the vendor level. I was excited to sit in on Kent's lecture but, after some reflection on it, the premise was just a retaliatory presentation against Triton (or someone like Triton) for negging him. He also could have really done with a trial run at home.

PROs:
-Lots of vendors
-Surprisingly decent amount of softies. I got a nepthea and a neon toadstool. Who would have figured people would have those at the swap in this stick-crazed hobby?
-I'm really not into haggling so I was glad that most prices seemed good enough without having to do so
-Coolest thing I saw on the day were the Walking Dendros
-Got a year's supply of Chemipure Blue for my IM10 (which is only a few of the sample packets)

CONs:
-I really wish there had been more bargain bin options. And what few there were only had zoas (which is great, I'm just maxed out on them)
-I absolutely love the reef foundations and the idea of saving reefs but I didn't like how pushy their sales tactics were.
-Strollers! You're spending $20/person on tickets, and (probably) dropping hundreds of dollars on coral, you couldn't get a babysitter? I absolutely understand that, at its root, this is a children's hobby. I was happy to get out of several kid's way so they could see the frag tanks better, but there was absolutely not enough space for your double-baby stroller.

TLDR: I had a great time, got good coral (and a clam) at good prices. I don't like crowds so take my complaints with a grain of salt.

Can I get an amen on the stroller comment!!! I got run over several times.

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so bummed I missed it but my husband had emergency surgery on Thursday so that killed my weekend plans. Fortunately he is recovering nicely so I will just have to make it next year.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When does the Cali pregame start??
It already started for some, September for others.

PM me if you want to volunteer to work the event. The perks include not being able to enjoy the show as a regular people, and seeing that coral vendors are people too.

pharazon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It already started for some, September for others.

PM me if you want to volunteer to work the event. The perks include not being able to enjoy the show as a regular people, and seeing that coral vendors are people too.

Does being a volunteer mean I can drink on the job since I’m not on payroll?

I think I’m going to design a fashionable ankle-guard to combat all these stroller related incidents. How hard is it to become a vendor?

Last edited:

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does being a volunteer mean I can drink on the job since I’m not on payroll?

I think I’m going to design a fashionable ankle-guard to combat all these stroller related incidents. How hard is it to become a vendor?

It's a requirement, that's the only way @mdbannister can deal with the show (or being a mod)

Becoming a vendor is a very complicated process involving giving us money.

Actually the real issue is we have great repeat vendors. Something like 75% of next years max capacity is booked as soon as our Cali event ends. And I think I'm being conservative at 75%.

If you want to become a vendor seriously PM me and I'll direct you to the proper peoples. Myself and @mdbannister will naturally need some free coral samples to gauge quality. For science and stuff too.

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anyone get the name of the guys who had a big tank full of rock flower anemones for $20? I guess I didn't grab their card and I can't find them by looking at the floorplan.
It might have been "AZ n Nutty's Saltwater Connection". They were on the opposite end of the main floor entrance, near the middle of the room.

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few negatives:

-One that can't be fixed by RAP, people oblivious to the amount of room they are taking up near a booth preventing others from being able to look as well
[/QUOTE]
Ditto on that one. Angle in people!

Raindog3030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where's the hammer
Wanted to wait for it to puff up for a decent photo, which still doesn't do it justice!

20180410_193406.jpg

mucky1957

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are there any videos of the show..based in the UK it would be the nearest I will get to one...unfortunately

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why isn’t there one in the Midwest. Like Chicago would be. Legit spot. Plus I have family there. ;)

Chicago would be nice! I'm in Louisville, not sure the 3 rap events could be any further away. Guess when my daughter is older there's always the Disney excuse!

pugcrush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RAP was great. Always fun see Rev & family. I didn't win anything in the R2R raffle & they had some cool stuff.

It was crazy packed both days but cleared out after 4 or so. Tough to walk around early on. Picked up some nice looking frags. Well worth the trip!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back