• Only when "needed"

Votes: 177 22.4%

• Total voters

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using GFO on a daily basis for about 9 months to keep po4 down (about 20% less than BRS's calculator recommends for my 43 gallons total volume) but recently stopped after getting a chaeto reactor up and running and seeing that it has been just as effective in controlling po4 and even keeps that tiny trace amount I want in the water. Shout out to Somatic for giving away those reactors at RAP California! =)

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use GFO 24/7. Smaller amount then recommended . No negative effect to my tank

AquaFX-PB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use High capacity phos-blaster (AquaFX High Capcity GFO) in a media reactor as needed - algae free since 93' ;Stop

I have been considering firing up an algae reactor for fun tho...... ;Shamefullyembarrased;Shamefullyembarrased

Last edited:

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it 24/7 heavy but sripped all po out of tank and caused issues now don’t use it at all.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always, but I definitely don’t replace media near as often as I should, so it’s worthless for probably half of the time I run it LOL

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run it 24/7 in a reactor. When my phosphate gets above .030 I change it out. Usually once a month. I'm not religious about testing for phosphate, but I usually test a few days after a waterchange. If it's above 10 on the hanna ulr phosphorus I put new gfo in the reactor.

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always, but I definitely don’t replace media near as often as I should, so it’s worthless for probably half of the time I run it LOL
But you have a buttload (literally, haha) of fish. For coral heavy tanks, and particularly sps heavy, the use of PO4 media can be a killer if PO4 levels aren't carefully monitored.

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tanks don’t have any need for GFO. The story goes like this - a person sets up a new tank, saw some algae, set up GFO, corals go pale, no coralite algae, corals die, the person wonders why, spend more money and add amino acids and vitamins... I don’t wanna be a conspiracy theorist but I’m really wondering who pushed these trends. The first thing many new comers worry about is how to eradicate NP.

GFO/PhosGuard/ Cheato etc are problem solvers. If you don’t even have a problem, do not use them. For a new tank having algae and brown dino is normal. If you test 0 on phosphate it means you need to take that thing off. Many reef tanks with a good skimmer never end up needing one because phosphate never goes out of range. But I keep seeing a lot of people asking why their P is zero and why their acros are pale and not growing. This hobby used to encourage people to aggressively tackle nutrient problems by prophylactically setting up carbon-GFO reactors and oversized skimmers plus refugium and some even took pride of showing zero NO3 and zero PO4. That age is gone but old articles and posts continue to haunt.
Great post, Peng!

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have a small amount of GFO (RowaPhos) and a somewhat larger amount of GAC in the reactor. I agree that GFO can be very dangerous if you use too much, and personally, I wouldn't recommend using it at all without twice-weekly phosphorus testing. I feel the same way with regard to carbon dosing and nitrate testing.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But you have a buttload (literally, haha) of fish. For coral heavy tanks, and particularly sps heavy, the use of PO4 media can be a killer if PO4 levels aren't carefully monitored.
Makes sense to me!

xCry0x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do people use for phosphate export instead?

Are those saying "No" to GFO using something similar such as phosguard? Do you have a decent sized fuge with macro algae? ATS? Carbon dosing? Or truely nothing aside from water changes?

When I take whatever phosphate sponge I have in my reactor offline my p04 levels seem to jump up quickly. I went from 0.02/03 ish to 0.07 in 2 days when my maxijet started to crap out on me and I had the reactor offline while waiting for a new pump.

That said, I am also starting to realize for the past 4 years I have been overly aggressive on nutrient export. So, interested in what people deem acceptable p04 and when they start to panic and consider using gfo/whatever to export. Or, if everyone is poo pooing on GFO while running an ATS instead =)

AndrewJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not run GFO. My current tank setup leaves me with limited space for equipment, so I skipped setting up a macroalgae refugium. I carbon dose instead.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow ton of responses. Love it. I am gonna try and go gfo free and see what happens. I can’t seem to keep a happy medium. When I run even 1/4 what I am supposed to run for my tank size I still end up with 0.00 on my Hannah checker. My tank might be too new yet.

SteadyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to run GFO, but now I’m micro and macro algae. Don’t even look back at GFO.

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank right at 11 yrs old. I just started using Chemipure elite. I have an bryopsis out break. I have no measurable NO3 and PO4 before using. Thought this would help. But it isn’t. Been doing a 5 gallon H2O change 2-3 times a week on a 90 gal. Seems to be working. Guess I will use fluconazole treatment and go from there. Or maybe I will just do a soft rest on tank. I neeed more coral space anyway. I’m not a big believer of GFO, this just confirms for me. But everybody’s tank is different. Unless you have a heavy fish load and feed a lot with minimal water changes, you shouldn’t need GFO. Old tanks with high bio mass maybe. Just depends. Watch your tank, it will show you the way. Just takes time. I have an ULN tank an I have to use amino acids for my corals. Had to use a different brand cause I couldn’t find Elos Omega and the bryopsis started. Hopefully it was just a coincidence. My corals are growing like crazy, I just don’t like the bryopsis.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back