Poll: Ever had an aquarium nightmare?

Ever had an aquarium nightmare? (Discuss in thread)

• Yes - Ran to tank and found it was just a bad dream

Votes: 72 29.5%
  • Yes - Ran to tank to discover it wasn't just a dream

Votes: 37 15.2%
  • Yes - Slept through it only to find a problem in the morning

Votes: 29 11.9%
  • No - I sleep like a baby

Votes: 106 43.4%

• Total voters

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure it counts as a nightmare but after I finished making RODI water and turned the valve to flush I forgot to turn off the water overnight. Woke up in the morning and immediately realized I hadn't turned it off so it just flushed water all night.

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time, I forget that I have a tank. So no maintenance or feeding. Then, I find everything starved and the reef dead.

Wonder what that means haha?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never dreamed about my aquariums. Probably will now !

TheLadyCrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time, I forget that I have a tank. So no maintenance or feeding. Then, I find everything starved and the reef dead.

YES!! THIS ONE.

I have tank nightmares at least once a week (I’ve had bad nightmares my whole life). Scenarios that occur most often:

1.) I overstocked my tank to the point the fish were all squished together until they couldn’t move and are plastered to the glass.
2.) I forget I have a tank and come back to it disgusting and overgrown but somehow the fish are alive.....or they’re all dead.
3.) I am taking the fish out by hand (don’t know why) and I keep dropping them onto the floor where they perish.
4.) The usual tank leak scenario.
5.) My tank has crazy fish in it that keep trying to attack and bite me (I’m talking attacks by lionfish, fox face, eels...none of which I have).

I think my reefing addiction is taking over....

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dreamt I could hear water running from my tank, then ran downstairs and found my tank had split on the base glass dumping water out. Saved all the livestock luckily p, but freaky because there is no way I could have heard the water running from my bedroom!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A leak in my 360g tank and loss of 90% of fish/coral at about $4009

Artillerydrill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a re accruing nightmare that i have so many aquariums in my house that i forget to feed all the tanks, somehow days and weeks go by before i find all the aquariums and the fish always look real bad... weird anxiety dream i guess

captainsmitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My worst was having a 55 gal split a seam and watching it all run down through an older wooden floor into my neighbors place. Oh man that hurt the wallet. right on top of there TV, stereo center. Guess who got brand new equipment...
I too am guilty of leaving the RODI running

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My worst was having a 55 gal split a seam and watching it all run down through an older wooden floor into my neighbors place. Oh man that hurt the wallet. right on top of there TV, stereo center. Guess who got brand new equipment...
I too am guilty of leaving the RODI running
How old was the tank if you don't mind me asking?

captainsmitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the tank from a friend who had it set up for a couple of years (less than 3).
I have had tanks since i was 7 and now am 64. This was the first plexi tank i had owned. I started another plexi tank about 8 years ago and was my first salt water tank. That tank got me hooked on salt water. But being a plastic tank it scratched so easily and looked like crap after a couple of years. I just purchased a 120 gal tank and stand that is glass (starfire glass). I still have a glass tank (20 gal) that I have had for over 25 years (all glass) and that tank is as good as the day I bought it. I will never get another plastic tank.

I am super excited about setting up my new 120!! I want to make it the state of the art with all the controllers like the apex. With ATO, Auto water change, I have a sump and will be getting a skimmer etc for it.
I want to thank the Reef2reef community and BRS vids for there education i have recieved!!

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know about everyone but I can definitely admit to having a couple sleepless nights after setting up a new tank. A few days later and I’m fine and tell myself “what happens, happens.I can’t predict the bad” I just try to be prepared as best as possible. Otherwise I have yet to wake up to a nightmare and coming across anything actually happening. *knock on wood*

My Rodi always does this. I have a shut off valve and my ocd still kicks in to double check 10 times if I actually closed the valve lol.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
based on this thread, in the entirety of typed reefing cached online, at least 2 individuals have probably posted a thread about an unexpected tank loss/param spike resulting from sleep dosing. statistically it has to be there. there's concrete watering, driving places and not even knowing it, walking around the neighborhood at nite/dont recall...heck .02% of the populace should keep their kalk locked up at night with a question and answer/ biometrics and wake verifying pass key somehow.
\
why is my alk 18.9? the salt mix must be bad.

Caswal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a nightmare last night, so I had to search on the forums about nightmares. Hence resurrecting this thread.

My nightmare was that my 2 clownfish had died (the only fish in my tank). While moving them from 1 system to another.

Coral Hygiene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too long ago, I had sleep paralysis where I was having a nightmare but aware of still being asleep. I was basically trapped in my sleeping body where my conscience was awake. In that nightmare, I was stuck inside my tank and I was slowly suffocating in the water and the pain felt legit (the saltwater even tasted real). Idk it sounds weird but thats what it felt like.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 137 60.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.8%
Back