Poll: Favorite Crab

What is Your Favorite Crab? (Discuss particulars in thread)

• Hermits

Votes: 126 26.4%
  • Emeralds

Votes: 115 24.1%
  • Porcelain

Votes: 57 11.9%
  • Arrow

Votes: 10 2.1%
  • Horseshoe

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • Pom Pom

Votes: 51 10.7%
  • Sally Lightfoot

Votes: 10 2.1%
  • None

Votes: 62 13.0%
  • Acro Crabs (SPS crabs)

Votes: 43 9.0%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sticking with the clean-up theme, we discussed shrimp on Monday and snails yesterday, let's see what your favorite crab is today. Far too many to list individually, so I've categorized them. Please discuss your reasons and particular favorite within the species.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting for dinner to be delivered.
IMG_5132.JPG

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OTHER: Acro Crabs (SPS crabs)

They protect the corals, they may fight off pests to a degree, they're amazing looking, they don't cause havoc or get big enough to opportunistically eat a small fish.. Lots to like!

Last edited:

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OTHER: SPS Crabs.

Is there a trustworthy online supplier you use? I had looked at adding pocilopora crabs, but also read that can be hard to differentiate between good or bad crabs. And live aquaria lists acro/poci crabs together but then other sites say they are coral species specific?

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a trustworthy online supplier you use? I had looked at adding pocilopora crabs, but also read that can be hard to differentiate between good or bad crabs. And live aquaria lists acro/poci crabs together but then other sites say they are coral species specific?

Live Aquaria differentiate them, unless something has changed recently.

otherwise, find a shop that gets wild pieces and will allow you to help remove them (they'd probably have to know you very well)

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OTHER: SPS Crabs.

They protect the corals, they may fight off pests to a degree, they're amazing looking, they don't cause havoc or get big enough to opportunistically eat a small fish.. Lots to like!

That's the first one I looked for. Decent color variety as well. If you have a nice sized colony with compact growth they'll thrive. Cool to see the claws pop out from branches during feeding time. Seem fragile and easily picked off by the wrong wrasse/fish.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't trust crabs . Maybe a little blue leg hermit but that's it ! I did once have a tiny porcelain crab as a hitchhiker. Very cool.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only had emeralds and hermits, but I enjoy the look of porcelain crabs. I have always wanted one. I'm about done with my hermits though :mad:

I love porcelain crabs, unfortunately they can be opportunistic as well, and have been known (albeit uncommon) to take fish.

The only crab i trust are the tiny acro crabs that max out under an inch and couldn't take any fish! lol.

That's the first one I looked for. Decent color variety as well. If you have a nice sized colony with compact growth they'll thrive. Cool to see the claws pop out from branches during feeding time. Seem fragile and easily picked off by the wrong wrasse/fish.

They're so cool, i'm enamored by the suckers. My corals aren't big enough for them yet, I keep fragging things for friends :( haha

Eagle aquatics315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sally lightfoots are my favorite simply because of how they act. They are also pretty big which is cool and they have a very aggressive feeding response which make them fun to feed.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OTHER: Acro Crabs (SPS crabs)

It's so weird that this thread popped up when it did. I JUST spotted one in my garf bonsai colony. I will try to get a pic when I get home from work, but this is exactly what it looks like:
littlecrab_original.jpg

littlecrab_original.jpg

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted porcelain but for me acro crabs are probably my favorite as well. 3rd is definitely strawberry crab

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's so weird that this thread popped up when it did. I JUST spotted one in my garf bonsai colony. I will try to get a pic when I get home from work, but this is exactly what it looks like:

One of my favorites -- A very simple pattern but a beauty in it's simplicity. The speckled ones are nice too, but that one is a personal fav.

I could maybe do like... One hermit. Just to have one. But he'd eat all my small snails so, no pinchy pets in the sand box

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back