Poll: Favorite Crab

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by dbl, Jan 24, 2018.

?
  1. Hermits

124 vote(s)
    26.4%
  2. Emeralds

113 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. Porcelain

56 vote(s)
    11.9%
  4. Arrow

9 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Horseshoe

4 vote(s)
    0.9%
  6. Pom Pom

50 vote(s)
    10.6%
  7. Sally Lightfoot

9 vote(s)
    1.9%
  8. None

62 vote(s)
    13.2%
  9. Acro Crabs (SPS crabs)

43 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. dbl

dbl It Takes Less Energy to be Nice Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Sticking with the clean-up theme, we discussed shrimp on Monday and snails yesterday, let's see what your favorite crab is today. Far too many to list individually, so I've categorized them. Please discuss your reasons and particular favorite within the species.

kireek, Dsnakes and jsker like this.
    Tags:

2. jsker

jsker Reefing is all about the adventure Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Waiting for dinner to be delivered.
    IMG_5132.JPG

3. Rakie

Rakie Federal Coral Reserve R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award SCMAS Member Build Thread Contributor

OTHER: Acro Crabs (SPS crabs)

They protect the corals, they may fight off pests to a degree, they're amazing looking, they don't cause havoc or get big enough to opportunistically eat a small fish.. Lots to like!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    kireek, DSC reef, XNavyDiver and 2 others like this.
  4. Gareth elliott

Gareth elliott Active Member

Is there a trustworthy online supplier you use? I had looked at adding pocilopora crabs, but also read that can be hard to differentiate between good or bad crabs. And live aquaria lists acro/poci crabs together but then other sites say they are coral species specific?

Dsnakes and Rakie like this.
  5. Rakie

Rakie Federal Coral Reserve R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award SCMAS Member Build Thread Contributor

Live Aquaria differentiate them, unless something has changed recently.

otherwise, find a shop that gets wild pieces and will allow you to help remove them (they'd probably have to know you very well)

Dsnakes and Gareth elliott like this.
  6. Smite

Smite Active Member

That's the first one I looked for. Decent color variety as well. If you have a nice sized colony with compact growth they'll thrive. Cool to see the claws pop out from branches during feeding time. Seem fragile and easily picked off by the wrong wrasse/fish.

Rakie and Dsnakes like this.
  7. Heliarc19

Heliarc19 Active Member

Arrow for sure, based on 90% looks 10% other lol. I have just alway been intrigued by them

kireek and Dsnakes like this.
  8. Dsnakes

Dsnakes Knight Reefer R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I have only had emeralds and hermits, but I enjoy the look of porcelain crabs. I have always wanted one. I'm about done with my hermits though :mad:

kireek, DSC reef and Rakie like this.
  9. saltyhog

saltyhog Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018

Other, Alaskan King crabs....with melted butter.:D

10. cracker

cracker Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I don't trust crabs . Maybe a little blue leg hermit but that's it ! I did once have a tiny porcelain crab as a hitchhiker. Very cool.

DSC reef and Dsnakes like this.
  11. Rakie

I love porcelain crabs, unfortunately they can be opportunistic as well, and have been known (albeit uncommon) to take fish.

The only crab i trust are the tiny acro crabs that max out under an inch and couldn't take any fish! lol.

They're so cool, i'm enamored by the suckers. My corals aren't big enough for them yet, I keep fragging things for friends :( haha

DSC reef and Dsnakes like this.
  12. Eagle aquatics315

Eagle aquatics315 Member

Sally lightfoots are my favorite simply because of how they act. They are also pretty big which is cool and they have a very aggressive feeding response which make them fun to feed.

kireek likes this.
  13. David Bell

David Bell Member

Emerald crab because I have two that eat cyanobacteria :)

sfin52 likes this.
  14. dbl

dbl It Takes Less Energy to be Nice Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Okay...I added this one...probably should have been included originally. Go change your vote @Rakie

Although I agree, they're not making the cut this time...lol.

saltyhog, Dsnakes and sfin52 like this.
  15. XNavyDiver

XNavyDiver Insightful answer loading... please wait. R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

It's so weird that this thread popped up when it did. I JUST spotted one in my garf bonsai colony. I will try to get a pic when I get home from work, but this is exactly what it looks like:
    littlecrab_original.jpg

littlecrab_original.jpg

Kmsutows, kireek, Rakie and 1 other person like this.
  16. DSC reef

DSC reef Coral wasted R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

No crabs, I don't trust them. I prefer snails:D They are fun to watch though, in my wife's tank ;)

17. LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay Active Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

We love our porcelain crab, he's mostly white and we call him the Night King (from Game of Thrones), lol. Its so entertaining watching him hold his arms up in the air to filter the water.

kireek likes this.
  18. Kmsutows

Kmsutows Active Member

I voted porcelain but for me acro crabs are probably my favorite as well. 3rd is definitely strawberry crab

kireek likes this.
  19. Bouncingsoul39

Bouncingsoul39 Well-Known Member

For CUC, this is my favorite crab, the Halloween Hermit. For just the cool factor alone, I think Arrow crabs are really neat.
    download.jpg

kireek and Dsnakes like this.
  20. Rakie

One of my favorites -- A very simple pattern but a beauty in it's simplicity. The speckled ones are nice too, but that one is a personal fav.

I could maybe do like... One hermit. Just to have one. But he'd eat all my small snails so, no pinchy pets in the sand box

XNavyDiver likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted