Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a review and found I've lost 5 of my first 36 coral frags (not including shipping losses). That's 14% and was wondering where that falls within everyone's experience.

I added 0% loss as that success level needs to be on it's own, and I have 100% loss rate as things happen (power losses, heater failures) that have nothing to do with coral husbandry.

Estimates are fine. :)

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost 6 acros my first year, I put them in the system too soon, I have 60+ frags, so less than 10%.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on the type of coral you are asking about. Losing softies, zoas, mushrooms, even LPS, I think the numbers would be lower. Losing acros is probably higher as they are more sensitive. I am currently at a 0% coral loss almost 2 years in, but I currently only have a single SPS in my system, the rest are zoas, mushrooms, LPS, etc.

OP
OP
Quietman

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only 6 months since adding first coral and hope to improve my success rate. My losses were primarily zoas in QT early on. I went to just dip and no QT. Since then over last 4 months with 20 corals I'm at 5% loss rate (lost 1 very thin small chalice that shattered when dropped during dipping).

OP
OP
Quietman

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on the type of coral you are asking about. Losing softies, zoas, mushrooms, even LPS, I think the numbers would be lower. Losing acros is probably higher as they are more sensitive. I am currently at a 0% coral loss almost 2 years in, but I currently only have a single SPS in my system, the rest are zoas, mushrooms, LPS, etc.
Agreed...wanted to keep it fairly simple poll though.

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thread idea! I just checked Aquarium Note and I've lost 4 out of 43 coral frags I've purchased in the first year of my tank, so just shy of 10%. I lost a hammer coral early on to a peppermint shrimp (literally caught the guy eating it), and I lost a frogspawn to a crab (I think), but I never actually caught him eating it. I also lost an alveopora frag that I got before my tank had matured and stabilized. Finally, I lost a jedimindtrick montipora by putting it too high in the tank and burning it out.

Surprisingly, I actually have a xenia frag (my first coral) that's almost melted away. (I'm not writing it off just yet though.) The thing basically committed suicide as it tried splitting to another rock and ended up letting go of the original rock before it completely split which has caused it to start melting. I can't say I'm upset though as I didn't want it on that rock anyways. :p

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't we recently have a thread just like this one?

I'd say mine was around 10% the first year. Probably from getting corals I had no business getting that early in the first place :)

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you asking the first year of your tank or first year of any coral you get? What I would love to have a good estimate on is the survival rate across the hobby the first year of any frag. My gut says it is less than 50%.

OP
OP
Quietman

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you asking the first year of your tank or first year of any coral you get? What I would love to have a good estimate on is the survival rate across the hobby the first year of any frag. My gut says it is less than 50%.
Yeah I just curious about overall coral success rate that first year of a system. One year frag survivability (or thrive-ability) would be interesting to know as well. Sounds like another poll. :)

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I'm 5 months in and I have not totally lost any frags but I've lost a few heads on zoas, and nothing has really grown. Although I've made my first good correction.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back