POLL for those who have had DINOS

If you have or had a DINO outbreak, check a box for each existing condition in that tank

• Used DRY rock and NO live rock

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • ULNS - phos less than .03 and nitrate less than 5

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Nitrates more than 5 but Phos less than .03

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Phos more than .05 but Nitrates less than 5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No UV

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Use Phos lowering media (ROWA, etc)

• Use NoPox

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • USED LIVE ROCK

• USED LIVE SAND

• USED LIVE ROCK & SAND

• Bonus - did you eradicate your dinos for more than 1 month

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • HIGH Nitrate (more than 5) and Phos (more than .05)

• HIGH Nitrate (more than 5), low phos

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • HIGH Phos (more than .05), low nitrate

• Total voters

CherBear811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to gain some insight into conditions that might point to a trend. I personally have come to think lack of bio diversity and too low of phos and nitrate are the primary conditions that cause dino outbreaks to bloom, but since no one knows for sure, thought I would give this a try.

Thanks for voting!

Feel free to add a condition.

+++++ Note, I left off LEDs intentionally, as most new tanks have LEDs and I just don't think LEDs are any more likely than any other lighting capable of supporting high demand coral to cause a dino problem.

*********** If you have successfully eradicated dinos, please comment on what worked for you and what strain of dinos you had, if you are sure of the ID.

christopher wainright

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what strain I had but my phos and nitrate levels were undetectable. I was doing 10% water changes weekly to keep from dosing or using kalk. I ended up getting a uv and going to 1 w.c a month and they cleared up.

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rock, dry sand, went full gfo and matrix at start. low nitrates and 0 phosphate (Hanna ULR) . Went waaaay to clean on this tank compared to my last (torn down for a move didn’t keep anything ) . Never had uglies but got Dino’s instead :(

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we know that 0 is bad for both nitrate and phosphate. That the cause of the blooms is that these things go from photosynthesis to predators. They than release toxins to further further kill off competition.

I found out the lr that I was buying was bleached by the lfs and sold as live rock. Further I was running heavy gfo and dropped it phosphate to 0. Realized I had dino by that time lost Almost all my LPs and softies were not happy.

Last edited:

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant worked for me dynos and bubble algae but dinos are back after I stopped it’s mild now but I don’t want to depend on anything to keep these buggers down hopefully tank can settle

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tells my story. Tank is 13 years old started with live Fiji rock and sand. I was away and my wife doubled the nopox......
I have been Dino free since May 2018
AC45EB35-F23A-4853-A47C-BA262FC5088B.jpeg

Back