Poll: Hands in Tank

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by dbl, Feb 26, 2018.

?
  1. Yes - I always wash before putting hands in tank

477 vote(s)
    47.8%
  2. Yes - I wash and wear gloves

59 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. No - But I wear gloves

43 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. No - I just get after it and do what has to be done

166 vote(s)
    16.6%
  5. After - I always wash my hands after being in the tank

459 vote(s)
    46.0%
  6. After - No, I just dry off

151 vote(s)
    15.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dbl

dbl It Takes Less Energy to be Nice Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

I spent some long overdue time in the tank this weekend and it reminded me of a poll another member suggested. I've tried to live by the rule of keeping my hands out of the tank, but when I do have to, I've always taken the time to scrub my hands and arms with dish soap and water prior to putting them in the tank. The question is do others do the same or do they just go at it. Do others were gloves? So let's see what the general consensus is with hands in the tank.

bubbaque and NowGlazeIT like this.
    Tags:

2. Grelby

Grelby Active Member

I don’t use soap but I scrub my hands and arms with hot water.

3. wolfpackdl90

wolfpackdl90 Member

I typically wear gloves.

4. KMench

KMench Well-Known Member Delaware Reef Club Build Thread Contributor

My main concern with using bare skin and soap is any of the residue from soap ending up in the tank. I try to keep my hands out in general, but when I do put them in hot water before and then soap after.

LbulletM and NowGlazeIT like this.
  5. DSC reef

DSC reef Coral wasted R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

I like to wash my hands with regular dawn then dry off before going into the tank. Always wash after being in the tank as well.

6. Oleshp

Oleshp Member

Being an auto mechanic by trade, there's always the potential of some pretty nasty stuff on my hands and arms. I usually wash with a good hand cleaner and then dawn antibacterial soap and then rinse, rinse, and rinse again. I may go a little overboard, but like I said, I never know what's on my hands

sfin52, Zack K and NowGlazeIT like this.
  7. Frizzles7

Frizzles7 Active Member R2R Supporter MTRCMember Build Thread Contributor

If my hands have to go in, I always wash before (with multiple rinses) and after. I also remove my rings.

8. Luno

Luno Active Member

Meh, if my hands are dirty I'll give them a wash with water in the sink. Otherwise I just dive in

Elmer, hllywd, jahnje and 2 others like this.
  9. Gareth elliott

Gareth elliott Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

I wear gloves if what im doing may poke or sting me. So if picking up a rock i wear gloves, if just doing a wc i dont. Really this is because i have experinced what a bristle worm feels like lol. When i first started i used gloves for everything, gained a level of confidense with certain tasks. I do the same with my bees, even though im alergic, some tasks i wear a suit others like a simple taking the top off inspection or fall feeding i dont.

Luno likes this.
  10. Mccool

Mccool Active Member Build Thread Contributor

I'm with Grelby. A good scrub with water only beforehand, don't want soap residue getting in the tank.

After... sometimes I'll wash with soap, sometimes I'm lazy and just towel dry and go about my business.

NowGlazeIT likes this.
  11. cracker

cracker Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Depends on where Iv'e had my hands .

Zack K and NowGlazeIT like this.
  12. LadyMac

LadyMac Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Usually I don’t unless I’ve had my hands in paint ( I’m an artist) or just got done cleaning/ Loading the washer. Otherwise I just plop time right in. I’ll wear gloves when messing with the corals if I have to move them.

S.O.B and Zack K like this.
  13. zachxlutz

zachxlutz 120 Gallons of FUN R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

First and foremost, hands ONLY go in when absolutely needed. If I'm flipping a snail or cleaning the sandbed I use long tools.

I always wash up before I put my hands/arms in the tank. I use Reef Suds from @Bulk Reef Supply .

Who knows what ends up on my hands... I know I don't want unknowns going in my tank. I usually wash up afterwards with a moisturizing soap, salt water tends to dry my hands out.

bubbaque likes this.
  14. Kman237

Kman237 Active Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

I always wash my hands before and after. I rinse my hands off multiple times before going into the tank to make sure any leftover soap isn't on my hands. I wear gloves depending on what I doing in the tank.

15. Bob Weigant

Bob Weigant Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Always wash before and after

DSC reef likes this.
  16. Newb73

Newb73 Valuable Member Partner Member 2018

I am in my tank so much my fish have accepted me as one of their own and actually school with my hands and rub against me.

Well, the baslets do. The tangs do a little and even the fox face. The clowns bite.

No negative impacts that i can tell what so ever. But then I run ozone, UV and change 80g a month.

17. Greybeard

Greybeard Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

One of my primary goals in life is to keep my grubby mitts out of the tank. I have a bit of acrylic rod, and a big pair of hemostats that help me in this goal. In the rare occasions when I can't avoid putting my hands in the tank, I'll first evaluate what I've done since my last shower or good hand washing... and wash again if I need to. If that evaluation leads me to think about the weed eater I was running this morning, with all of the gas, oil, grease, dirt, etc that kind of thing involves, the right answer may well be to wait on the tank maintenance.

I'm fairly certain that I killed my old cube by noticing, as I walked by, that a plug of zoanthids had blown off the rock, and were upside down in the sand. Just reached in, real quick, and moved it back where it belonged. I spent some time in my reloading room that day, exposed to solvents, cleaners, oils, and all manner of nastiness that comes along with firearms. It's not a mistake I'll make again.

Wash after? Whafor? I know, it's possible to pick up some nasty stuff from our aquariums... I suppose, if I was mucking around with a colony of palythoa, I would probably wash again, but no, I typically just towel my hands off and move on.

DarkSky, Newb73 and zachxlutz like this.
  18. DarkSky

DarkSky Active Member

Where's the "just before" option? If I'm going to be in my tank, I hot water scrub my hands as much as possible and then put them in.

I just towel off after. I prefer to not put them in at all if possible.

Greybeard likes this.
  19. Greenstreet.1

Greenstreet.1 Valuable Member

Gloves at all times.

20. Greybeard

Greybeard Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

All of you that voted gloves... How does that work?

Rubber gloves would flood as soon as you get the wrist underwater, right? I would think surgical type gloves would be torn in no time when dealing with encrusted live rock... What, you have opera length rubber gloves? I'm picturing the kind of thing a vet uses when assisting in delivering a new colt :p

Draft saved Draft deleted