Poll: Hands in Tank

Do you wash your hands before and after?

• Yes - I always wash before putting hands in tank

Votes: 495 48.2%
  • Yes - I wash and wear gloves

Votes: 61 5.9%
  • No - But I wear gloves

Votes: 43 4.2%
  • No - I just get after it and do what has to be done

Votes: 172 16.7%
  • After - I always wash my hands after being in the tank

Votes: 466 45.4%
  • After - No, I just dry off

Votes: 152 14.8%

• Total voters

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always give my hands & arms a good scrub before putting them in the water. I don't use any soap though, just the hottest water I can stand.
When I'm done I just wipe my hand and arms down with a towel and go about my business. Eventually I'll get back to the sink. ;)

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO there are specific conditions when you wash hands and doesn't matter. After words as well.
To Wash hands 1) hands are dirty from handling anything that can cross contaminate. Such as cleaners,dirt, chemicals,greases and lotions of any kind. ( Note: never use perfumed Soaps)

Not Required to wash Hands 1) hands are Free from contaminates that could effect water chemistry/fish or Corals

When to Dry and or wash: Yes (Wash then Dry)---When you handled Live Stock or Corals that have a slime coating on them. ( Such as leathers and Green slimmer Acro's) Plus after feeding frozen Foods too.

No (Just Dry) Use a Dedicated Aquarium use ONLY Towel. Moving rock, dry food feeding or water adding or changes.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of you that voted gloves... How does that work?

Rubber gloves would flood as soon as you get the wrist underwater, right? I would think surgical type gloves would be torn in no time when dealing with encrusted live rock... What, you have opera length rubber gloves? I'm picturing the kind of thing a vet uses when assisting in delivering a new colt :p

43c2e1bea5a9418c44e6a760609e440f.jpg

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that @Tahoe61 did some experimenting with this back in the 3reef days. I cant remember how many days she went without placing hands in the tank, but I want to say it was a few months? Maybe way off.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Greenstreet...

Yup, look just like the ones the vet uses to deliver a colt :p

I laugh in the face of danger... I think I'll keep risking bare handed reefing.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that I just don’t want to take the chance of something that may not be good for my reef being on my hands and causing problems I would not forgive myself if that was to happen so I try play it safe.

van7271

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was with soap and water and include a thorough rinse before I go into the tank to rinse of as much soap residue as I can.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No soap, but I don't touch the tank until after I've had a shower coming home from work and an hour or two has passed since the shower. I work in a power plant so I could have anything on my arms from coal, to ash, to limestone, to gypsum, to oil and grease... none of which are reef safe.

When I have to go in the tank, it's bare arms and I just dry off afterwards. Grew up around salt water, doesn't bother me one bit.

Last edited:

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pfft, I've grabbed zoas and washed them in a sink under hot tap water bare handed.

They were covered in cyano and i sort of wanted the rock for something else and figured they would die anyway....I was more or less trying to kill them...not only did they not die, they were back open within 3 days. Decided to keep them.

Of course i did immediately wash my hands after and make sure not to get it near my eyes or mouth.

It was this colony, although a bit smaller then.
1519677285333.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one was a multiple answer I wash my hand before I do anything out of habit. That being said, if my hands are clean I just go right in other wise hands are washed. After all the time. Glove are a wait of time, to many cross contaminate wearing gloves.

anomeda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using gloves since day one because of fear for infections etc. I have a pair thick sholder long rubber gloves i use when i do wc, and for more simple work like changing floss i use dishwasher gloves.

blebs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
no washing of hands, unless I was just touching something bad (basically any chemicals, detergent, lawn care stuff wahtever).

I think soap is worse than my own body's oils.

I am actually surprised at the high number of people who do wash their hands. I guess i probably mess around with moving stuff around my tank TOO much, my corals probably agree with that haha.

I use long forceps as much as possible to avoid putting too much of my arm in the tank (my tank is 24" tall), but sometimes you just gotta get at it!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally wash my hands all the time. Germ paranoia? Perhaps, but I also have multiple allergies, so just a habit I got into when younger. For saltwater needs I will give a good tap rinse without soap and then wear gloves. If I have to wash with soap I will rinse a long time. I always wash my hands after.

I will add I often wear face and eye cover depending on the task. Perfect example, I was bleaching some dry rock recently in a 5 gallon bucket. After two weeks, I was removing the rock to rinse and I dropped a piece of rubble rock right into the milky, foul bleach water. The resultant splash, tiny as it was, shot straight up onto my protective eye wear. I had to laugh as I realized what I thought might be overkill was adequate.

SaltLifer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t usually wash before because I don’t want soap to run off into the tank. But always after. I have a 30” tank so half the time I have my whole arm in the tank and I worry about getting deodorant in the water.

Dom274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now “have” to wear surgical gloves to stick my hands in the tank. It took a few rounds of learning the hard way, but it turns out that over the past year, I have developed a nasty allergic reaction to bristle worms.

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always do, but water only. Dont wabt any soap residue getting in there. Then after, the same thing, just so my hands and arms arent sticky from dried saltwater.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back