POLL: Have YOU ever had to return a FISH?

Have you ever had to return a fish?

• Total voters

optimisticdingo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes, you only notice it when you spend hours with it. It was like the clownfish. They both looked peaceful and no aggressions but whaddaya know
Luckily I noticed it as I was acclimating it. In the store it was hiding because it was the only fish in the tank. When I had it alone in the bag I easily saw the sores. Luckily, it didn't get introduced to my tank

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily I noticed it as I was acclimating it. In the store it was hiding because it was the only fish in the tank. When I had it alone in the bag I easily saw the sores. Luckily, it didn't get introduced to my tank
That’s fortunate
Didn't return anything, set up a biocube for a clown and damsel that teamed up to fight anything else.
thats how my clowns were which would prevent me from getting any other fish really

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried giving away, rehoming to friends with larger tanks etc. No one was interested, figured maybe if they were apart it would help. In the end, figured I bought them and they are mine, so a biocube it was.

JayA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to return a flametail blenny and a solarensis wrasse because neither would let anyone else in the tank after them, and they were 2 of my first 3 fish stocking a 20 gallon tank.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I ordered Tilapia at Applebee's once and had the Waitress return it to the Kitchen bc it had a sour taste to it"

- Michael Scott

Shocked Season 4 GIF by The Office

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly this thing was just bonkers. From the second I put him in the tank until I ran into the LFS and threw him in the system to keep him alive he was trying to kill everything in his path. I know we all find aggressive fish from time to time but this was genuinely another level. My girlfriend refused to get out the car as she looked like she had wet herself. Shopping trip to Glasgow cancelled!

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never have but am considering taking back a Carpenter Wrasse. I guess for now I get the be the lone 'considering' which I'm sure was there for the memes.
This fish is absolutely terrified of me and was going into the overflow repeatedly. I stuck him back in qt and the other 2 have formed quite the bond in the mt so now I am worried that throwing this young male in could break up a good thing.
On the other hand this is pretty par for the course for flashers. They are skittish as can be, cling together like saran wrap, and eventually all turn Male anyways. So what am I worried about. I guess this thinking is what has made it so I've never returned a fish in all these years.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is making me realize there’s a lot more people than I realized that returned fish. I didn’t think it would ever happen to me, but that’s with all the things in this hobby, good and bad

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figure buyer beware. Unless extreme circumstance shouldn’t return a fish for refund. Only time I kinda did was my kid picked out one of 2 fairy wrasses in a store. I didn’t get a good look at it. When we got home it sank to the bottom on its side an died within an hour. I saw in the bag it seemed sick. I was too dumb back then to know not to even put it in my tank. Was a few weeks into having fish. But I had a decent relationship with the guy who owned the fish store. I called him and told him so he just told me to take the other fairy wrasse. He said he never looked closely at it either. I never go there anymore. The store I go to now cares if they sell sick fish. He was an idiot who only wanted to make a buck and gave me tons of bad advice.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't returned fish to a LFS because they don't take returns but I have sold off some fish to new homes. A mean Kole Tang (tried a second one, but he is also a jerk and will be sold soon), and some wrasses (coris, timor, and longfin) so I could add some other more timid ones.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, a starry blenny. Didn’t expect him to go after my mandarin, but he was relentless. I’d had the mandarin for a year, and he was eating frozen, so the new blenny had to go back. Got 1/3 credit.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't returned fish to a LFS because they don't take returns but I have sold off some fish to new homes. A mean Kole Tang (tried a second one, but he is also a jerk and will be sold soon), and some wrasses (coris, timor, and longfin) so I could add some other more timid ones.
I would have done the same but I don’t know a lot of reefers near me personally
Yup, a starry blenny. Didn’t expect him to go after my mandarin, but he was relentless. I’d had the mandarin for a year, and he was eating frozen, so the new blenny had to go back. Got 1/3 credit.
Yeah I would have done the same especially if it was picking on that fish. Credit is still credit too

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few fish yes .
Blue velvet damsel that was 6” long
Squirrel fish , and a spotted grouper I inherited from a friend closing his tank

also a extremely aggressive potters angelfish

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One African cichlid because the rest had died and I wanted to go in a different direction with the tank.
3 leporinus and 3 pacu because they were getting too big and ate everything else.
Not a fish but I my elegance coral. One of the best looking corals I have ever seen but the paranoia of ECS was too much at the time. Maybe again one day. I swapped it for a wall hammer/brown jelly dispenser...

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a Picaso Trigger (Huma huma?) once. Allways love them but man that thing was a total terror! Got it out of there the next day. I had Niger Triggers in the past and they were perfect citizens.

Back