Votes: 14 2.2%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought it might be interesting to see how everyone is measuring your light strength/output in your systems. What are you using to determine you have the right amount of light? Are you doing anything to measure it? So let's see what everyone is doing.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted PAR meter. I purchased a Seneye when I moved. The club I belonged to had PAR meters that we could check out. I don't have a club around here and felt it was important enough to have one.

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tapatalk needs to be able to show polls it never does. Can't see the pole but vote par meter

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here my tiny local club disbanded so I bought my own. It's a nice tool for salt keepers. the intensity of all the different color lights can be deceiving.

corey01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Seneye. really should get around to seeing about the monitoring abilities it claims to have.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Eyeball it by gauging the corals previous placement in its previous home.

Using charts and par numbers others have posted online...

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is how I mounted the sensor . any others like this?
HPIM9048.JPG

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is how I mounted the sensor . any others like this?
HPIM9048.JPG

Don't have a picture but I made something very similar out of some scrap acrylic I had laying around.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Seneye to measure my lights. Its not a proper couple thousand dollar meter, but after BRS did their testing on it, it comes close enough for my liking :)

BillyP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought it might be interesting to see how everyone is measuring your light strength/output in your systems. What are you using to determine you have the right amount of light? Are you doing anything to measure it? So let's see what everyone is doing.

I use a seneye meter.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised by these results. They suggest that one out of three reefers measure with a PAR meter (if a representative sample of reefers voted in the poll). Just a few years ago, you were incredibly lucky if a local reef club or fellow reefer had a PAR meter to lend.

I'm also surprised that almost two out of three reefers choose to have no quantitative method of measuring light intensity at all. Especially when lux meters are $10 - $15 on Ebay/Amazon.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a PAR meter is really helpful when moving corals and acclimating. Once you get an idea of your tanks PAR in different areas you don't really need to use the PAR meter that often. I've used my seneye few times in 1 year and the best example of it really coming in handy was when measuring PAR and acclimating sps on a frag rack. Unlike what people say "start at the bottom and work your way up, I had to do the opposite and start midway to the top right and work my way down where there was more PAR, which was 5" away from the sand. PAR meter won't save you from burning coral you still have to observe the corals color and take note if they can handle the PAR. Based on what i've seen its better to give you corals less PAR for longer then High par for shorter, in other words 150 PAR for 10 hrs is better than 300 PAR for 5hrs.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the BASE level/idea from the BRS videos on the lights PAR values at X intensity, and divide/multiple accordingly. According to BRS it's a +/- 5% accuracy which I can live with.

After that, I rely on coral health and coloration.

You can get by without anything but coral health and coloration, but I just like to know the numbers for reference. It's something I can do to log/replicate what I'm doing, if my setup ever changes/gets lost, or if I get a new tank, etc etc.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back