Poll: How do you plan for power outages?

Do You Have a Power outage plan?

• Battery air pumps

Votes: 181 19.2%
  • Power inverter

Votes: 78 8.3%
  • UPS (tell us what's hooked to it in the thread)

Votes: 110 11.7%
  • Manufacturer Back Ups (ie: Ecotech)

Votes: 125 13.2%
  • Portable generator

Votes: 348 36.9%
  • Whole house generator

Votes: 87 9.2%
  • Other (discuss in thread)

Votes: 26 2.8%
  • I do not have a power outage plan

Votes: 238 25.2%

• Total voters

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
battery backup and a 10.5kw portable propane generator

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankfully I have access to a generator in the event of a power outage. My dad has an almost brand new generator that I can use whenever needed.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have a 8750watt generator that is wired into my house with a gentran.
I have about 3/4 of the house wired in.
Works great, just used it yesterday with a 3 hour outage.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5500 Watt generator. I can backfeed thru the dryer but I need to put a dedicated backfeed in. I hate that I dont have that now.

those that are doing this. PLEASE PLEASE flip your main before starting the genny. otherwise you can backfeed the system and potentially kill someone.

PiscesPower

People protect what they love. - J. Cousteau
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My switchover if there is a power outage is manual at this time. I have only one GFCI cord with a triple head and my RKL power bars are plugged into that. I work a mile from home so currently if power goes off everything gets power until I pare it down to a heater in the DT and powerheads. I have 2 battery operated air pumps. I turn the heater to 75, and with that I can get about 3 hours out of 1 UPS, we have 2 others in the house that I can switch to if needed. Thus far, living in the city, I have not had a prolonged outage. I have had to come home from work. My BF works from home but knows nothing about the system. I plan to tag 2 cords with Red tape so he can just plug those in to limit consumption from the UPS.

Mark Derail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good generators are at least 1k$ and require frequent oil changes. Usually they are not meant for 24/7 use, need X hours on, Y hours off, or else it won't last long.

I propose three methods - that are way better / is the best - method on the planet. Hands down, and low cost. Plus, I have a hatred of generators, ever since 1998, when we had no power for over two weeks during the winter.

(See below the video for more detailed notes on the 3 methods)
(Also, I use a computer 1500w UPS, lasts maybe 15-20 minutes for the tank, but cannot power the two 100w heaters - it's only the wavemaker on it)

If you have a hybrid car - by preference a Toyota or Lexus - then Method 1 or Method 2.
Method 3 is using multiple car batteries in parallel, charge them all with a home car battery charger you plug in the wall, and car booster cables.

Disclaimer: The Toyota hybrids are by design, portable generators. It can be left "ON" for days, without moving, the Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) is self-lubricating. Planetary gear system for power from ICE to two different electric motors - one of which generates power.
I haven't researched the Volt or the Hyundai hybrids, the Honda hybrids are not recommended. Lexus == Toyota, so any Lexus hybrid is perfect too.
From what I know of the Volt, the ICE is a standard config, so probably not self-lubricating when idling (wheels not moving).

A Generation 2 Prius (2005-2006) - used they sell in the 1k$ to 3k$ range, meaning, the same price as a high-end generator. Generators are a PITA to maintain over long periods of time. If you are lucky, you can find one way under 1k$ that has a defective traction battery. Who cares, you just want a generator.
A new traction battery refurbished some kits are cheap.
See what this guy did:

Method 1 - just enough power for your tank - using a Prius and a low power DC-AC Inverter -
Any inverter from 500w to 1200w (or 4 amps to 10 amps), up to 10 amps draw on the 12V battery, located to the right in the hatchback section. You connect direct to the battery, leave the car on. With 11 gallons of gas (one full tank) you have multiple days of constant power.
The car will start the engine every now & then automatically. Don't worry !!

A regular car could be used like this, but, depending on car type & model, the ICE might not be self-lubricating (most newer models are). However, it will be very polluting, and your 30 gal gas tank will last 90% less time than the Prius 11 gal.
The Prius pollutes LESS than a generator, LESS than a lawnmower, because it uses the Atkinson cycle, and reburns the exhaust 2X, and the exhaust is fancy pants.

How long with no interruptions? Easily 2 full months, when you should do an oil change.
A full tank lasts about a week in this config. Depends on your power draw.​

Method 2 - high power 20 to 30 amps entire home - using a Prius, http://www.priups.com/,
You have to connect to the 220DCV traction battery located under the back seats. What the engineer that made PriUPS did. A lot more work, but you can power an entire home non-stop for months !!! Just add fuel. Oil change maybe once a month or two if it was running 24/7.
The car will start the engine every now & then automatically. Nothing to worry about.
If the car is in your garage, send the exhaust outside with approriate car-grade tubing designed for that (see your local UAP-NAPA store).

So basically you generate 120 ACV at the car, use a 50 or 100 foot extension cable (get the heavy duty 12 gage or 10 gage), and power your entire tank. With a 1000w or 1200w inverter, you should be OK for heaters, pumps, wave makers, and your fridge + lights at night.

How long with no interruptions? Easily 2 full months, when you should do an oil change.
A full tank lasts about 2 days in this config. Depends on your power draw.​

Method 3 - No hybrid car required - medium power

(I sold my G3 Prius a few years back, had lost my job. Sniff...loved it...So had to improvise a 3rd solution w/o a Prius)

I was able to get a 2500W inverter that is rated 15 amps 120ACV continuous on sale at Canadian Tire for 129$ (down from 199$). I daisy-chain in parallel old car batteries that are charged with a 29$ Canadian Tire car battery charger. In the basement.

The plug-in-the-wall car battery charger is connected to the first (old) car battery. At room temperature they have lots of life left. You hook them up in parallel to each other using car booster cables. Connect all the reds to each other, all the blacks to each other. If this confuses you, find someone to help you please.
I'm sure there's a youtube video tutorial out there.

When there is a power failure for more than 1 hour, I bring the old (charged) car batteries to the living room, and connect the power inverter.
I can draw 15 amps per hour no problem.

So I can power the tank, the fridge, and the propane gas fireplace with a small fan. We all move into the living room and camp there.
Ice storms / winter power failures in Canada (Quebec / Montreal) can easily last a few days.

How long with no interruptions? Easily 1 full DAY.
To recharge when no power, I take one battery with the car-made battery charger (using the lighter plug), put it in the car trunk, and take a 1hr drive to somewhere. Go get groceries.​

Last edited:

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really need to start planning for power outage. I think I am going to go the UPS route with heater and backup PH hooked up to the UPS directly. Also add couple of these in the DT when I am out of state to hold me for few days.

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Texas our power outages are normally during the winter if we have one. I have a Generator just for the fish tank that I use. I have had to use it twice and it will run everything on my tank. If I cant log into my apex because its offline then I know the power at home is out. That's when I head home to check on everything. Luckily I live close to work but the last two times its gone out I've been home.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in CT, with lots of trees and power lines on utility poles. While the utility has done a pretty good job of hardening the system (we had four 5 day plus power outages between 2010 and 2014, none since), it remains potentially problematic. My power loss plan is a combination of ETM battery backups (two of them) for my vortech pumps and a 6,500 watt portable generator through a manual transfer switch. My tank will run on about 3,000 watts. Maintaining the generator is really important, as I discovered to my chagrin the first time we had a long power outage. Run it regularly (I do it monthly), make sure you use gas stabilizer and use a battery tender (if its an electric start). I also rotate 25 gallons of gasoline on hand. This past weekend, when the temps were around zero, having a fully charged battery is a real blessing. Using a pull coil when it's that cold is backbreaking.

So, my power-loss-plan works really well if I am home. If travelling, I'm screwed.

Flatlandreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think backups in case of power failure is one of the most overlooked aspect of this hobby. I have a 25 gallon nano and run an mp10 so I use the ecotech backup. This has worked very well for me during a couple hours long power interruptions. I can't really justify a generator for this size of tank but if I had a bigger tank I think I would have a whole house generator that somebody could easily turn on if there was a power interruption when I was gone, my biggest fear. I wish there was some sort of manufactured backup for heaters that would maintain a lower temp, maybe like 70 deg, in case of a power interruption.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Power inverter hooked up to deep cycle battery. I also made a switch using a DPDT relay. When the power is on, the relay is energized, and the tank's power comes from the wall. When the power fails, the relay closes, and the tank's power comes from the power inverter. When the power comes back on, the tank starts drawing from the wall again.

For me, any effective power redundancy solution has to be automatic. If I'm not home for a few hours and the power fails, the tank needs to fail over to battery power without any intervention from me.

reefer4816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a solar power generator. Basically just 2 golf cart batteries, 1 solar panel, and inverter.

I use it in my shed, and for my pop up camper also

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gyre is connected to the ice cap battery backup for short power outages. And I have a portable house generator for long outages.

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a UPS connected to a single Tunze 6105. It's low power but high flow. When the power goes out it should operate for about 24 hours.

Whiskey

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a generator, and a battery powered air pump, if the power isn't going to be off for long.

Note: I had to run a tank on a generator for 2 weeks, after an ice storm a decade or so back. Burned up a good set of electronic halide ballasts on it. Generator power can be detrimental to sensitive electronics!

Since my heat is all electric, and power is more likely to fail during the winter... heat is my biggest concern in an outage. I have a pellet stove. The electric portion is low wattage, and it'll run on the generator just fine. Keeps it nice and toasty in the living room, where the tank is. A bit cool in the back bedrooms, but well above freezing, anyway.

If you're counting on a generator, make sure you've got sufficient fuel stored, and that the fuel isn't allowed to get old. Most fuel sold in the US today has alcohol in it... it doesn't keep very well. See if you can find some alcohol free... in many places you can still buy it at the premium pump. A little Sta-Bil treatment can help it last a while longer.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good generators are at least 1k$ and require frequent oil changes. Usually they are not meant for 24/7 use, need X hours on, Y hours off, or else it won't last long.

I propose three methods - that are way better / is the best - method on the planet. Hands down, and low cost. Plus, I have a hatred of generators, ever since 1998, when we had no power for over two weeks during the winter.

(See below the video for more detailed notes on the 3 methods)
(Also, I use a computer 1500w UPS, lasts maybe 15-20 minutes for the tank, but cannot power the two 100w heaters - it's only the wavemaker on it)

If you have a hybrid car - by preference a Toyota or Lexus - then Method 1 or Method 2.
Method 3 is using multiple car batteries in parallel, charge them all with a home car battery charger you plug in the wall, and car booster cables.

Disclaimer: The Toyota hybrids are by design, portable generators. It can be left "ON" for days, without moving, the Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) is self-lubricating. Planetary gear system for power from ICE to two different electric motors - one of which generates power.
I haven't researched the Volt or the Hyundai hybrids, the Honda hybrids are not recommended. Lexus == Toyota, so any Lexus hybrid is perfect too.
From what I know of the Volt, the ICE is a standard config, so probably not self-lubricating when idling (wheels not moving).

A Generation 2 Prius (2005-2006) - used they sell in the 1k$ to 3k$ range, meaning, the same price as a high-end generator. Generators are a PITA to maintain over long periods of time. If you are lucky, you can find one way under 1k$ that has a defective traction battery. Who cares, you just want a generator.
A new traction battery refurbished some kits are cheap.
See what this guy did:

Method 1 - just enough power for your tank - using a Prius and a low power DC-AC Inverter -
Any inverter from 500w to 1200w (or 4 amps to 10 amps), up to 10 amps draw on the 12V battery, located to the right in the hatchback section. You connect direct to the battery, leave the car on. With 11 gallons of gas (one full tank) you have multiple days of constant power.
The car will start the engine every now & then automatically. Don't worry !!

A regular car could be used like this, but, depending on car type & model, the ICE might not be self-lubricating (most newer models are). However, it will be very polluting, and your 30 gal gas tank will last 90% less time than the Prius 11 gal.
The Prius pollutes LESS than a generator, LESS than a lawnmower, because it uses the Atkinson cycle, and reburns the exhaust 2X, and the exhaust is fancy pants.

A full tank lasts about a week in this config. Depends on your power draw.​

Method 2 - high power 20 to 30 amps entire home - using a Prius, http://www.priups.com/,
You have to connect to the 220DCV traction battery located under the back seats. What the engineer that made PriUPS did. A lot more work, but you can power an entire home non-stop for months !!! Just add fuel. Oil change maybe once a month or two if it was running 24/7.
The car will start the engine every now & then automatically. Nothing to worry about.
If the car is in your garage, send the exhaust outside with approriate car-grade tubing designed for that (see your local UAP-NAPA store).

So basically you generate 120 ACV at the car, use a 50 or 100 foot extension cable (get the heavy duty 12 gage or 10 gage), and power your entire tank. With a 1000w or 1200w inverter, you should be OK for heaters, pumps, wave makers, and your fridge + lights at night.

A full tank lasts about 2 days in this config. Depends on your power draw.​

Method 3 - No hybrid car required - medium power

(I sold my G3 Prius a few years back, had lost my job. Sniff...loved it...So had to improvise a 3rd solution w/o a Prius)

I was able to get a 2500W inverter that is rated 15 amps 120ACV continuous on sale at Canadian Tire for 129$ (down from 199$). I daisy-chain in parallel old car batteries that are charged with a 29$ Canadian Tire car battery charger. In the basement.

The plug-in-the-wall car battery charger is connected to the first (old) car battery. At room temperature they have lots of life left. You hook them up in parallel to each other using car booster cables. Connect all the reds to each other, all the blacks to each other. If this confuses you, find someone to help you please.
I'm sure there's a youtube video tutorial out there.

When there is a power failure for more than 1 hour, I bring the old (charged) car batteries to the living room, and connect the power inverter.
I can draw 15 amps per hour no problem.

So I can power the tank, the fridge, and the propane gas fireplace with a small fan. We all move into the living room and camp there.
Ice storms / winter power failures in Canada (Quebec / Montreal) can easily last a few days.

How long with no interruptions? Easily 1 full DAY.
To recharge when no power, I take one battery with the car-made battery charger (using the lighter plug), put it in the car trunk, and take a 1hr drive to somewhere. Go get groceries.​

If you do not get the Nobel Prize for innovative thinking – I do not how should get it :)

Sincerely Lasse

burtbollinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
power inverter for the car + full tank of gas.....and an Ecotech battery backup connected to an MP10

35g tank then has the main return pump, heater and an MP10 running. Could also support the LED fixture in a pinch.

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My home alarm system lets me know when the power is out for more than a few minutes so I can go home and turn on the whole house generator. I didn't want the auto switch because our area has a lot of power flickers due to new construction in the area so the auto start would get burnt out. It's a propane generator with enough gas to run the entire house for two weeks.

I had a dedicated GFCI circuit put in for the main DT. Then I connected a power conditioner to the GFCI. Then a UPS is connected to the conditioner and the power strips for the equipment are plugged into the UPS. That way when the power goes out and I'm on the generator (or utility power for that matter) it won't fry the electronics with noisy power. The battery side of the UPS only runs a power head.

Each of the other tanks (2 QT, and a small DT) has it's own UPS rated to run only the appropriate power head(s) for about 1-2 hours max. Each UPS also has a rather basic power conditioner in it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back