Poll: how long to cycle my QT tank

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, folks, it has been awhile since i have cycled a new tank so i thought it might be fun for people to post how long they think it will take.

its a 40G breeder, fresh saltwater. i added tims ammonia and it should be around 5ppm of ammonia.

i also added two vials of probidio biodigest bactetia and a chunk of live rock from my refugium. I will consider it cycled enough with zero ammonia and detectable nitrates.

Care to guess? With the probidio i am going to guess 5 days.

anyone else care to guess?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, folks, it has been awhile since i have cycled a new tank so i thought it might be fun for people to post how long they think it will take.

its a 40G breeder, fresh saltwater. i added tims ammonia and it should be around 5ppm of ammonia.

i also added two vials of probidio biodigest bactetia and a chunk of live rock from my refugium. I will consider it cycled enough with zero ammonia and detectable nitrates.

Care to guess? With the probidio i am going to guess 5 days.

anyone else care to guess?
3 days if the live rock is 5 pounds or larger. If it is just a rubble piece, I'm going with 2 weeks.

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have tested the tank sooner. Tested the tank last night, zero ammonia and man oh man, there was a TON of nitrates. I didn't bother doing the red sea high range test but the low range turned dark purple almost instantly.

I added the fresh water and ammonia and probidio on sunday night, I added the chunk of live rock on monday. Tuesday.. Cycled..or to be more accurate, cycled enough to QT some new fish. Pretty impressive really. I thought for sure it would take at least three days.

Call it 1.5 days?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have tested the tank sooner. Tested the tank last night, zero ammonia and man oh man, there was a TON of nitrates. I didn't bother doing the red sea high range test but the low range turned dark purple almost instantly.

I added the fresh water and ammonia and probidio on sunday night, I added the chunk of live rock on monday. Tuesday.. Cycled..or to be more accurate, cycled enough to QT some new fish. Pretty impressive really. I thought for sure it would take at least three days.

Call it 1.5 days?
That's a nice chunk of live rock that you added!

The Probidio normally takes a little longer based on the anecdotal evidence I have seen.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back