POLL: How much do you spend on your frozen fish food?

What do you spend on frozen food each year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spend a lot more just feeding the seahorses mysis. I use the mysis, LRS, Rods, Cyclops and frozen oyster eggs for the other tanks. I made an error and bought the Hikari jumbo mysis and use these to feed the Duncans, Hammer, Frogspawn and the big Brittle Star.

Whasmack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 180g Reef - I usually go through 1x sheet of Rods Food, 2x cube packs of Hikari Spirulina Brine Shrimp, and probably 1/3 large sheet of PE Mysis. Roughly $50 a month.
I also only feed frozen food; besides some seaweed.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy clams. I eat most of them myself and whatever is left over, I freeze for the fish. If I didn't like clams so much, the fish would get more. I also feed live worms every day but I don't like how they taste, so the fish get all of them :eek:
I also use some LRS food but I don't think I spend fifty bucks a year on frozen food

Reefiness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my own food about 8 months ago and have only used about 1/5 of it (I hope fish like stale food). My feed contained cod, squid, scallop, salmon, nori, pellet, mysis flake, lemon juice, selcon, and garlic. Cost me about $30 when i made it, so I think i need a cheaper category. I also dont feed frozen every day, I alternate pellet and frozen. Pellets in auto feeder when on vacation

OP
OP
Arnout96

Arnout96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to hear all stories! Lots of inspiration for different types of (frozen) food for the fish!

Now I was wondering, would you also use an autofeeder for the frozen food (if it existed), and if so... would you be willing spend more on frozen food then? I would anyways :p

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Approximately, $216/year. Feeding 1-120gal reef, and 2- 29 gal reefs. The 120 has 6 fish, 3 being large tangs. The 29 biocube has 4 fish, and the other 29 gal has 3 fish. I feed 2 cubes of regular mysis and 1 of the piscene mysis daily.

OP
OP
Arnout96

Arnout96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With 54 fish in 6 tanks I spend around $100 month just on fish food. This includes live black worms, white worms, PE mysis, Hikari mysis, krill, Nutramar Ova, LRS fish eggs, SF brand reef plankton, Oysters, clams, salmon, and squid for blender mush. Plus Julian Sprungs green, purple, and red dried algae. It sound like a lot, but it is not really when you add up the cost of the fish plus equipment. It was 5 years ago last month, the last time I lost a fish to disease. I attribute that to the diet they are fed.

You really have 6 tanks!? Thats must be a pretty hard job keeping them clean! Though your fish are very healthy since you don't lose any, great job man:cool:

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix this up it lasts me a month cost $30 ish.

16 oz flat pack Hikari Myis shrimp
2 cans Can O' Cyclops
20 drop Aqua Forest Garlic Oil
30 drops Aqua Forest Fish Vitamin
6oz Reef nutrition Live Oyster Feast
50ml Red Sea Reef Energy A
50ml Red Sea Reef Energy B
Small tin of peas strained and smashed

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spend about $7 pre pack of frozen cubes, that pack will last me about 2 months. But i don't feed the frozen every day. I use pellets 4 days a week. My fish like the pellets.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PE mysis cost me about 15-20$ for a large flat pack that lasts about 3-4 weeks. I use Hikari Marine A, S, & Seaweed extreme about every 2-3 months. Also a 500ml of NLS pellets every 6 months. Bottle of coral foods a month usually Reef chills but I'll buy something on sale or discount. I buy Nori from the local grocery store for about 2-3$ every month. My fish are fatties and seem well.

laga77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really have 6 tanks!? Thats must be a pretty hard job keeping them clean! Though your fish are very healthy since you don't lose any, great job man:cool:
Actually it is seven if you count the fresh water tank with guppies and ghost shrimp that I set up about 6 months ago when I bought an Anglerfish. Unfortunately, he only lasted 10 days and got hit with a bad case of velvet in the QT tank. There is also a 5G tank for a pod culture and a 5G for when I buy live BS. I hatch BBS every day, but some reason I cannot grow them into adults. So really there are 8 tanks with SW, 1 freshwater, a blackworm culture tray and a small refrigerator with the white worm cultures. So yea, it keeps me busy. Retirement has its advantages. 50G reef, 120G reef FOWLR, observation tank, Seahorse tank, pods and BS

50.jpg

120qq.jpg

fo.jpg

qt.jpg

sht.jpg

pods.jpg

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back