Poll: Internal Flow Rate?

What internal flow (Power Heads, etc.) rate do you try to achieve?

• 5-10x tank size per hour

Votes: 62 11.3%
  • 10-20x tank size per hour

Votes: 79 14.4%
  • 20-25x tank size per hour

Votes: 45 8.2%
  • 25-30x tank size per hour

Votes: 33 6.0%
  • 30-35x tank size per hour

Votes: 30 5.5%
  • 35-40x tank size per hour

Votes: 20 3.7%
  • >40x tank size per hour

Votes: 71 13.0%
  • I do not shoot for any particular rate

Votes: 207 37.8%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An often discussed topic is flow and rightfully so. What flow should our return pumps provide? What should be be shooting for with power heads/gyres/closed loops/etc.

We did a poll a while ago regarding return pump flow and the results indicated the majority shoot for 5-6 times turnover from the return, with 9-10 times turnover running a close second.

We also did a poll regarding what "type" of internal flow people sought and turbulent flow was the overwhelming desired flow. But we haven't done a poll on what internal flow rate we strive for, so let's look at internal flow today. I realize it can vary greatly based on your inhabitants and coral selections, but in general, what internal flow rate do you try to obtain. Discuss your reasons/reasoning below.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have my answer available.

I don't even consider it. In my opinion, total internal flow is an almost worthless measurement when using pump flow data.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My answer isn’t available on the poll either. I was shooting for 3x, as I wanted some dwell time in the sump. I’m currently moving 3.5x.

Dave
I believe the poll is total flow inside the DT, not flow through the sump.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My answer isn’t available on the poll either. I was shooting for 3x, as I wanted some dwell time in the sump. I’m currently moving 3.5x.

I believe the poll is total flow inside the DT, not flow through the sump.

Yes, this poll is looking at internal flow via power heads/gyres/closed loops/etc.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have my answer available. I don't even consider it. In my opinion, total internal flow is an almost worthless measurement when using pump flow data.

I don't aim for any number for internal flow. I adjust direction and intensity based on what I see. always tuning that as I add more to the tank.

I've added another option so you guys can go and vote now in the poll. :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've added another option so you guys can go and vote now in the poll. :)
Thanks!

And just to clarify my reasoning is that all flows are not created equal. As an example, you can have 2 MP40's running and putting out 1500gph of flow for a total of 3000gph. That will be less total flow in your tank than if you have a gyre running at 2000gph. But, it will be higher flow in some localized areas.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

And just to clarify my reasoning is that all flows are not created equal. As an example, you can have 2 MP40's running and putting out 1500gph of flow for a total of 3000gph. That will be less total flow in your tank than if you have a gyre running at 2000gph. But, it will be higher flow in some localized areas.
Thanks!

That is my thinking on the internal flow as well. I just found a program that I liked for my MP40s to create some different flow patterns and called it a day. Everything is fine and I couldn't even tell you how many GPH it is actually producing. Don't even know how I would even go about trying to measure it either and honestly do not even care truthfully. I am always doing something with my aquarium and measuring the flow rate of my powerheads definitely isn't one on the list of stuff.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I guess I'm weird. I have an MP10 and Jebao PP-4 both on random flow up to 100%. The Jebao goes up to 1,000GPH, the MP10 goes up to 1,500GPH for a total of 2,500GPH of flow. They're not running at 100% all the time, but still, there are times that they likely are. In my 20g long, that's 125x :eek:

If I had to choose a number, I would probably aim for about 100x max turnover on a random flow mode. With static flow, I'm not so sure. I'd probably have to play around with the tank and see how it looked with different levels of flow. Maybe start at 20x and see how it looks?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 450 (400 actual gallons of water before displacement), I run two MP60, three WAV, one Jebao PP-15 and one Vectra M1 on a closed loop. They all vary flow throughout the day, so the median flow across all devices is nominally 16,000 gph - so 40X. At a high it's probably 60X.

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to agree with most of you. I don't aim for any set turnover rate. I have two MP-40s in my 75G tank and they're each on reef crest at about 80% max. Chose this setting after just watching the tank to see what looked good for flow and made everything happy.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I shoot for as much flow as the tank handles without turning in to a sand storm!

My achilles and other tangs enjoy it!

Last edited:

Reefin Dude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as much flow is necessary to get detritus into the sump for easy removal. on the current 300. 8K of flow behind the LR structure using CLS's. 2 WAV pumps for circulation. 2 eductors on the return pump, about another 4K. plus a couple of Tunze 6025 for spot cleaning areas.

G~

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My filtration is 15 *tank volume per hour and powerheads no clue. As long as lps are moving in the current open and fluffy and not being blown to apart we are good

KMSReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really aim for a specific flow level but I cast my vote as 40+ due to my current setup. I have a standard 29 with:
-2 x mp10 at about 80% on reef crest
-2 x 1050 gph wave pumps set to pulse at 100%
-1 x 660 gph wave pump at 100%
-return flow of 200gph

All of my pumps total at a max of 5960gph in the display so even if you assume only 20% due to the waves and losses, my flow tops 40x.

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my new build ill have a 126 gallon (48x30x20h) and it will be running 1 RO various 6 on 2 outputs, and 4 mp40s. I figure the varios will run about 11-1300gph at 100% after headloss and 90s in the plumbing. Im not shooting for a turnover rate but instead shooting for quality flow in all parts of the tank

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shoot for at least 100x for SPS tanks so 40x is waaay down there as the highest option. Of course use common sense with no coral getting tissue blasted off it, but that is my personal rule of thumb.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, the amount of flow depends on what you keep. Different corals like different flow rates. The limit, i think, for corals is when your water has so much turbulence that it looks like soda (even then, convict and yellow tang will be perfectly happy, at least for several hours)

The kind of flow matters too. Some deeper corals almost certainly evolved in conditions of fairly constant flow. Others may like strong, but relatively consistent ups and downs (eg vortechs lagoon mode). Other reef crest species deifinitely like lots of strong, random surges - to include apparently many acroporae.

That being said, even a wild inshore or lagoon area probably gets more flow than many people give their tanks. I am
running about 30x, and the flow is nothing like, and not even as strong, as the lagoon zone (hanauma bay, hawaii) i snorkeled last week. To say nothing of the actual inner and outer reef.

Another lagoonal area i recently snorkeled also had much more flow than my tank, and rampant montipora growth (plates everywhere, some nearly 6 feet in diameter).

So, i am looking to up my flow, and probably change its nature (waves going up and down over the course of hours)

shaggydoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like most, I don't think a certain number is key, but as a general rule, more is better. I just went from under 20x internal turnover with a simple koralia to 35x turnover by adding a controllable gyre on top of that. Every coral is so much happier (all LPS), but it has taken some adjusting. Have to be careful and monitor polyp extension when changing up flow, especially with LPS.

Overall, I was not prepared for how much better all corals (50 different LPS) in all areas of my tank looked after adding the gyre (I don't say all lightly). I think more importantly than XXX amount of turnover, it is important to have a varied/turbulent flow. Get controllable pumps that can move a lot of water but in different ways to keep the corals moving in all directions. To me, laminar flow is a problem whether that be 2x or 200x turnover.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 150 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back