Poll on Future Articles

What Types of Articles Would You Like to See on the Article Page?

• Equipment

Votes: 92 38.8%
  • Testing and Comparing and Reviewing Equipment

Votes: 136 57.4%
  • News in Marine Biology

Votes: 63 26.6%
  • Husbandry and Best Practices

Votes: 122 51.5%
  • Profiles of Researchers or Research in Marine Biology

Votes: 24 10.1%
  • Profiles of Reef Aquarists

Votes: 57 24.1%
  • Interactive Things Like Puzzles and Caption Contests

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • Tutorials

Votes: 95 40.1%
  • DIY

Votes: 93 39.2%
  • Personal Experiences Like the Beachcomber Article

Votes: 26 11.0%
  • Research-Heavy Science Pieces

Votes: 54 22.8%
  • Humor

Votes: 27 11.4%
  • Something Else--leave in comment

Votes: 9 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted! It would be nice to have some articles specific to certain types of reefkeeping -- SPS coral, leathers, FOWR tanks, and the like. Lots of experts here that focus on various items like that, for coral that's definitely NOT me. I am guessing that falls in to the husbandry and best practices selection above as well.

In fairness, there may already be a lot of that content, I just don't search for it or pay much attention since it's not my strong-suit or my primary interest :)

RobZilla04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best practices and comparing testing equipment.

I think most of us have ended up buying several different branded testing methods searching for what works best. Sure would be nice to have solid reviews of each to help noobs IMO.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn’t sure which one to pick. I’m most interested in things that enterprising and clever reefers have done that is different, but not silly (like scrubbing bubbles). For example, there are a couple of larger reef tanks lit with solar tubes - completely cool!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its so hard to choose, All selections have a place. I would enjoy a magazine or News format that I could browse and select what interest me at that moment. :rolleyes: BTW Real Hard News on this industry is hard to come by.

Foothill Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a "tank of the month" write up. You could include the equipment, livestock, feeding and what the owner does to maintain it. That other site used to do this. It was very interesting and informative to have the back stage tour so to speak of different successful tanks.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also would like to see articles on specific species or family of fish care. I know many are done, but updated ones and those where people have kept them over years, not months. Include what other fish they are kept with, corals, inverts, etc. Really help people to research on some fish.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not so much of a topic request...but I would like to request a separate forum for "giveaway" promotions from vendors. The giveaway promotions are great, but probably not best placed in the "articles" section where people are trying to search for specific articles on specific topics.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 specific fish (most of the standards) with their ages and especially interactions with other fish.

2 "best" test kit for each parameter.
Lol, I know when the tank parameters are horribly high in things like nitrate and phosphate it is a waste to use an expensive kit when API will be a better use of your money, but which kit should you switch to when "zero" really isn't zero.

3 TOTM feature.

4 Different types of systems;
No skimmer, no sump, refugium vs ATS vs best way to grow cheato.
what will still do well in these systems. (Probably not SPS)
NPS systems.

Great poll!

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed votes for Husbandry and Profiles. As a reefer with a JBJ Nano Cube 28g and 2.5 years experience, I may not fit the profile of your primary audience, but it would be nice to know of other reefers using All In One (AIO) tanks and how they are addressing issues specific to these tanks, such as limited space for skimmers and refugiums, cost effective approaches to implementing a control system, DIY LED lighting for systems with a hood, etc. With regards to Best Practices, how to control algae and cyano without a refugium, implementing Triton Other Methods in an AIO, best critters for cleaning detritus and various types of algae in a small tank. Thanks!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with the above post. It would be nice to have articles broken down by each AIO.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most of the posts here at R2R have to do with husbandry, equipment, diy and best practices. So I don't see a big need for articles about these subjects. All you need to do is a simple search and you'll have lots of opinions rather than just the one of the person who writes an article.

I'd like to see the articles do something that isn't already covered to death in the forums. News about the hobby, reefs, marine biology and research. And although we all 'talk' to each other regularly in the forums, we don't know each other hardly at all. So reefer profiles and other interests that reefers are involved in would be a great new area to cover.

Just rehashing the stuff you can find on the forum everyday isn't what I want. Well, maybe once just to cover a specific subject. But I would like to see the articles take R2R into different and uncharted waters (so to speak).

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like articles on a specific fish, or maybe a few specific fish are good. However, I think they need a bit of personal experience in them. I own like 15 books on reef fish, so I can go look up the generic paragraph about how this damsel grows to 42 feet and eats whales, but if someone actually kept one and has some real anecdotes about that damsel, that would be pretty useful in my decision. (hopefully they would include some details on where to get feeder whales)

What I find myself doing over and over is needing a specific bit of knowledge. For example, I want to set up a calcium reactor. I need to know what kind of needle valve to buy, what bubble counter, where do I get CO2 refilled, what kind of different pumps can/should be used to feed the device? Is there a magic formula for figuring out calcium drip rate or do I wing it?

I want a sump. Who makes sumps? What different kinds of sumps are there? Do people make custom sumps? Who are those people? I could spend 12 hours on google looking up sumps, or maybe read an article that says "these are 12 common manufacturers of sumps, 4 of them are R2R supporters, so they are extra cool, and these two will make custom ones"

Product reviews would be huge. I want to buy the bubble annihilator 7000 skimmer. Sure, I can go on BRS, and read the short "I have this skimmer and it annihilated bubbles, 4 stars", but I kinda want to read something a bit in-depth. Some pictures, some data like "it's been running for 9 months and is still annihilating bubbles", or "the supplied laser isn't strong enough to annihilate larger bubbles".

These days alot of people make video reviews of things. Maybe if they submit them, you just post those? Maybe at the end of a review article we could add "I also found these 5 video reviews of the device, embed,embed,embed"

There is indeed a ton of information on these forums, but it's often difficult to hunt it all down. When I built my carlson surge, I dug around on this and the other forum, found maybe 10-20 posts, each having a tiny bit of data, and had to spend a few hours cobbling it all together from the anecdotes and jumbled mess. What makes an article wonderful, is that ideally it's all in one place. I can just read the article on how to build a carlson, and go start building. Even if it only helps a few people, at least those few people don't have to scour the internet, or worse give up because they can't find the data.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back