Votes: 89 11.5%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday we discussed when to permanently place coral. One thing often mentioned is dipping of corals for pest control/eradication. I realize this can be a debated topic, but let's look at your preferred coral dip. I am of the belief that coral should be dipped to help prevent the introduction of nasty's in your tank. I actually use Bayer which I also realize is another debated topic, but it's what I've always used.

So let's see what your go-to dip is. I may have missed one on the list so feel free to let us know what you're using.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 dips.
Chose other

Seachem reef dip and bayer.

Iodine for bacterial and viral, bayer for the larger pests.

Have had sea spiders and a gall crab live through this.

Sea spiders were removed through siphon.
Gall crab i didnt actually see for a month after my pavona was added. Killed that mannually after seeing some tissue death.

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hefty bayer dip. Don't have any pests and plan on keeping it that way. Cheap, and gentle on the corals. I've had corals open in the dip before. Most of the time they'll open right after, but sometimes they'll sulk for a bit.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer bayer only in its simplicity to get. There is a hardware store literally two blocks from my home. I walk down there, grab a bottle and i'm back home in 10 minutes. The closest LFS to me that carries any kind of coral dip is over 50 miles away.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use CoralRx AND Bayer. I selected "Other" in your poll b/c I could not choose both.

Updated to poll to allow multiple choices.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a couple of dips based on what I can see.

-Dr. G's Coral Dip
-Salifert Flatworm Exit
-Furan 2

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Bayer for it's cost effectiveness and ease of use. I just pour some in a bucket of tank water until it looks like milk and dip away. I also strongly suggest a close visual inspection to look for eggs and other nasties that might not be taken care of with the dip.

Chris Wells

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I use.

20180724_111004[1].jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning to use Bayer, but I can no longer get it around me. It has been banned in many places in the US. I tried to order it next from an online retailer, but they would not ship it. Worst part is when I started my build nine months ago, I confirmed my local hardware store had it. I figured I would pick some up when I was closer to adding corals. It was banned recently. One bottle would have lasted me a long time.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Polyp Lab's Reef Primer for dipping. Kills AEFW quickly. I don't know what else it kills, but I did see some various copepods that seemed unaffected, while others seemed to quickly die.
It's very gentle on the corals though if you don't exceed the time limit.
I know that Battle Corals is using Reef Primer too, that's why I decided to give it a try

Adele

I don't sing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting Caveman I didn't see any at the HD . I wonder if it's banned in Florida
It was not available at my HD either (here in AR). I ordered it on Amazon as Bayer and the bottle that came looked exactly the same except it didn't say "bayer" I don't have it in front of me so I cannot elaborate on what it said, but seemed to be the same chemical formula. I have not used it yet. Still using Coral Rx

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting Caveman I didn't see any at the HD . I wonder if it's banned in Florida

https://www.motherjones.com/food/2016/01/epa-finds-major-pesticide-toxic-bees/

Florida is often the state many pollinating bee keepers house their bees to rehab their bees after the effects of transporting and single source pollen.

NY is attempting to win back pollinators for its apple crops. Colonies used to pollinate NY apples have some of the worst survival rates in the industry.

Sorry for very off topic post lol

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was not available at my HD either (here in AR). I ordered it on Amazon as Bayer and the bottle that came looked exactly the same except it didn't say "bayer" I don't have it in front of me so I cannot elaborate on what it said, but seemed to be the same chemical formula. I have not used it yet. Still using Coral Rx

You can also get it at lowes. HD doesnt seem to carry it or I just can never find it.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 81 48.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back