Poll: Stability - Which is most important?

Stability - Which is most important?

• Temperature

Votes: 93 15.2%
  • Salinity

Votes: 131 21.5%
  • pH

Votes: 24 3.9%
  • Alkalinity

Votes: 349 57.2%
  • Calcium

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • Magnesium

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Other

Votes: 7 1.1%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We started the week discussing stability and how we define it. We then went through the big three with week - Alkalinity, Calcium and Magnesium. We've discussed others in the past. Let's end this week with what people feel is the most important parameter to maintain stability in a mature reef.

Now, I realize stability is of vital importance and keeping all parameters stable is the goal. But if you had to pick one to call the "most" important, what would it be. Feel free to discuss your reasoning's for your choice.

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thought was alk since I keep mostly SPS, but my alk won't matter much if my tank temperature is 40 degrees and I don't add salt to the water. There are a lot of corals that can be kept healthy by just monitoring temperature and salinity. I went with salinity since this is a saltwater aquarium forum.

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it varies by how big the swings are. In large swings they alk, ph, temp and salinity are all important!
I went with Alk assuming we are talking about day to day reefing where salinity and temp are easy parameters to control without much monitoring

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, without proper temp and salinity, nothing will survive so I guess I would have to go that route. Traditionally when you think of stability in a reef tank, you are thinking ALK.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very subjective question, as all pramameters should be stable with in acceptable ranges. Keeping them there is the "husbandry", sense we have as reef keepers. Testing and monitoring is a foundation, corner stone, basics to success.

Of course there are variables and conditions that can cause "swings" and instability, some fast, some slow overtime.

So with that said, I can't honestly just pick one from the poll. They are all equally important to "me".

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...Now, I realize stability is of vital importance and keeping all parameters stable is the goal. But if you had to pick one to call the "most" important, what would it be. Feel free to discuss your reasoning's for your choice.

Very subjective question, as all paramameters should be stable with in acceptable ranges. Keeping them there is the "husbandry", sense we have as reef keepers. Testing and monitoring is a foundation, corner stone, basics to success.

Of course there are variables and conditions that can cause "swings" and instability, some fast, some slow overtime.

So with that said, I can't honestly just pick one from the poll. They are all equally important to "me".

Excellent point @Flippers4pups and that's why I made the comment I did in the OP! This is simply an exercise in if you "had" to pick one, what would it be. For me, I chose Alkalinity.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent point @Flippers4pups and that's why I made the comment I did in the OP! This is simply an exercise in if you "had" to pick one, what would it be. For me, I chose Alkalinity.

Me, hard coral tank........ Alkalinity.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to choose Salinity, since without salt, well you know!

This is "which came first the chicken or the egg", numbs my brain.;Bored

If I had to choose one it would be Alkalinity, as it plays a significant role in pH. But you will not have a stable alk without a normal mag value...Dang you..;Shifty :D

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like @Flippers4pups said all parameters are important. However, salinity stability should really never be much of an obstacle. The only time I've ever had to worry much about salinity was when my tank was mature and I had multiple large colonies of stoney coral and I was dosing large quantities of 2 part. My salinity would tend to rise.

Temp is very important but by using two or more smaller heaters and a controller that's really not to hard to achieve either.

Alkalinity is the one parameter that I have to monitor frequently. With SPS alkalinity swings can result in rapid destruction....don't ask me how I know. :D. So maybe not "more" important just harder to achieve?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to choose Salinity, since without salt, well you know!

This is "which came first the chicken or the egg", numbs my brain.;Bored

If I had to choose one it would be Alkalinity, as it plays a significant role in pH. But you will not have a stable alk without a normal mag value...Dang you..;Shifty :D

Lol, I know that feeling! ;Woot

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like seriously impossible for me to pick between salinity and temp! My fingers will not allow me to choose! HA!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I still haven't voted and I want to soooo bad!! It does so much for me t click those little boxes but today it's just savage!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still haven't voted and I want to soooo bad!! It does so much for me t click those little boxes but today it's just savage!

David,

amani-al-khatahtbeh-there-can-be-only-one2.jpg

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like seriously impossible for me to pick between salinity and temp! My fingers will not allow me to choose! HA!

Every system is different, but I've had temp swings with no noticeable effects, with one exception. Temp hit 89 due to Irma a few months ago - not good! On the other hand, I've had alk swings (primarily when I get lazy) with disastrous consequences!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 160 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.5%
Back