Poll: Stable #'s and water changes

Do you adjust water change water to match display water?

• No - I mix and go

Votes: 470 59.8%
  • No - I found a salt that is close enough

Votes: 258 32.8%
  • Yes - I adjust to match Alk

Votes: 64 8.1%
  • Yes - I adjust to match Cal

Votes: 17 2.2%
  • Yes - I adjust to match Mag

Votes: 13 1.7%
  • Yes - I adjust to match pH

Votes: 12 1.5%

• Total voters

Dawn Milton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so new at this after a year of having a 45 g. I have a lot of question about the chem.? Water exchanges and regular water changes.
I was sailing along fine until my shop changed product to Red Sea. I have all of them to help the numbers of my tank. I had a steady incline so nitrates and after more water changes and dosing..... I lost my fish and soft corals. Finally the owner of shop called Red Sea directly and said to do 50% water change. So I did......still lost mor fish and mushroom leather....that was about four weeks ago. I don't understand the dosing of these products. I also mix my own salts and it is also Red Sea .Can you help me understand the adding of this concentrated brand?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so new at this after a year of having a 45 g. I have a lot of question about the chem.? Water exchanges and regular water changes.
I was sailing along fine until my shop changed product to Red Sea. I have all of them to help the numbers of my tank. I had a steady incline so nitrates and after more water changes and dosing..... I lost my fish and soft corals. Finally the owner of shop called Red Sea directly and said to do 50% water change. So I did......still lost mor fish and mushroom leather....that was about four weeks ago. I don't understand the dosing of these products. I also mix my own salts and it is also Red Sea .Can you help me understand the adding of this concentrated brand?

We can try to help. Generally, it's better to start a new thread, and I'll start it for you.
go here:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/problem-with-fish-dying-that-may-be-product-related.369156/

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back