Poll: What is Your Preferred Salt Brand?

What is Your Preferred Salt Brand?

• Aquaforest

Votes: 63 6.5%
  • Red Sea

Votes: 253 26.1%
  • Instant Ocean

Votes: 313 32.3%
  • ESV

Votes: 12 1.2%
  • Brightwell

Votes: 11 1.1%
  • HW Marinemix

Votes: 47 4.9%
  • Tropic Marin

Votes: 67 6.9%
  • Fritz

Votes: 109 11.3%
  • I use natural sea/ocean water

Votes: 17 1.8%
  • Other

Votes: 76 7.9%

• Total voters

Whyteboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use fritz.. but is it my preferred? I don't think so. If I do too many water changes my Mag will get up to 1600 maybe it is just this batch. I'm not sure. When this box is finished I may just go to the OG Instant ocean reef crystals it seems like many people have success with it.

Checkitout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just made the switch from Fritz, I was fine with it until I started getting really high mag levels, to mixing Red Sea Pro and Red Sea blue bucket together.

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use regular Instant Ocean, but i'm lazy on water changes [now doing Triton] and still have around 60 gallons worth of the original box I bought. After that runs out i'll likely buy Triton's recommended salt for water changes just to have around "in case"

Tucker64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HW Reef, use to use Red Sea pro but the alk spikes made me change

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
inserting a shout out to all the nano and pico reefers who are salt parameter independents. Doesn't matter what salt we use, since we do weekly water changes they all work out, literally all of them. My own 12 yr pico just went from 7+yrs straight Kent, to Oceanic with a 100% water change, then to Fritz the next week with 100% water change, and back to Kent now. I don't mix my own water, and the LFS I used closed and the other startups around town were sustaining me.

We wont see much salt preference issues in the smaller tanks, cuz it doesn't matter. same sps loading too as the large tanks.

the smaller the system, the less the salt mix matters.

Whyteboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
inserting a shout out to all the nano and pico reefers who are salt parameter independents. Doesn't matter what salt we use, since we do weekly water changes they all work out, literally all of them. My own 12 yr pico just went from 7+yrs straight Kent, to Oceanic with a 100% water change, then to Fritz the next week with 100% water change, and back to Kent now. I don't mix my own water, and the LFS I used closed and the other startups around town were sustaining me.

We wont see much salt preference issues in the smaller tanks, cuz it doesn't matter. same sps loading too as the large tanks.

the smaller the system, the less the salt mix matters.
You would think that salt would be very important in a Pico/Nano. If you are mixing up salts that vary in dkh causing big swings

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sea blue bucket. For most of the past 5 years
Alk level works well for my tank, and the small buckets are easy for me to store and move.
The lfs near my work always has it in stock, and I get a discount there for my local club membership.

Last edited:

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used virtually every brand over the years and most have worked fine. Currently using Instant Ocean. Once SPS growth takes off, I will use Reef Crystals for the KH boost. I like IO and RC for their price and I can get them locally conveniently. If money was no object I would use Tropic Marin Bio-Actif. With Bio-Actif, I've observed greatly improved water clarity along with intense coral coloration and polyp extension.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Instant ocean since my first Fish only system 20 years ago. My current system is my first SPS system and I've noticed issues when doing 15-25% waterchange - so I barely did them.. After a waterchange alk would rise anywhere from .3-.7DkH and I'd spend a day or so bringing it down - which would stunt growth and perhaps killed a few early frags. I had an issue where I suspected a chemical issue in the tank and couldn't even do a few 30% waterchange which really was annoying. Reading only problems of people who switch salts I reluctantly got some FRITZ and tested the water prior to waterchange and was happy with the values.
with Fritz and my ALK only increased by .1 DKH - MG and CA remained the same. I feel confident I can do few 30% waterchange and only improve the overall health of the tank without shocking them. Select a salt dependent on your tank sensitivity to ALK and size of water changes - once you find it you'll be very happy!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WB

Agreed

That it is neutral makes that parameter fact among ten ironies that one wouldn't expect from small systems. Another is salinity stability from a one gallon beating any tank on this whole board. Several more

-such a claim should at least provide references. best ref for it is the pico reef forum at nano-reef.com

Sps in IO salt, or any other, all weekly easy changes. As nanos get larger and no one wants to do weekly large changes, we do see branching off into mixes that support what they're using.

For pico reefs we literally do not care what any param is beyond temp and salt. It's feeding that matters. Mines packed.

We fear only elbows and nerf balls

Large tankers are required to chase params. Agreed some specialty sps might not like changes but the typical strains don't mind and are well featured in those picos. Maritza, Natalia are the standouts online see their YouTube

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a Aquavitro Salinity user for the past year or so, outside of it being a little low on alk for me (8.5 when I run closer to 10) its been great.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RS Coral Pro following Red Sea's "Mixed Reef Recipe" the last 4 months, corals are growing quickly and more colorful that ever.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried out Reef Crystals & Aquavitro Salinity before and after many research and discussions, I've made the choice to stick to regular Instant Ocean which is just as good as any other supposedly pricey and magic hocus pocus better salt out there. If a reputable lfs uses Instant Ocean and it works so why won't it work on our system right?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back