Poll: What Would You Say Your Average Running Costs Are A Month

Average Running/Operating Costs A Month? (Not Equipment)

• Total voters

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No clue what you mean. Including food? Electricity? Water? Carbon? GFO? Cost of owners time? Its a general question - what do you mean???

BTW - my electrical costs for my reef tank are 597/year.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I easily spend $350/month on my 2 tanks (75 and 32 gals) but probably $300 of that is on stuff I don't actually need [emoji6]

Analyze that :) and fix it lol:)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As many are pointing out the issue of variables, this is something to consider. However, if reefers were able to calculate actual cost of running/maintaining there tanks this could be very useful. With enough accurate data a median range would be observed. That range would correspond to a range of gallons as well. Yes outliers, yes variables, but potential to be useful.

The key here is accurate data and a lot of it.

And the other key is there is no way to get that data :). If reefer A uses supplement A and B uses B and C uses None, the costs are all different. Additionally reefer A may have a horrible tank, and Reefer B may have a tank of the month. Unless you know the quality of the tank - the spending makes no difference. As some posters say - they waste money every month - should that be included? It is really an interesting but impossible question. Unless you maybe want to ask a Zooligical garden.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My electric is only .07 a kilowatt. My 155 gallon tank probably adds $10 a month to my electric bill. I plan on hooking up my kill a watt meter soon and checking.

I bet its more:)

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the other key is there is no way to get that data :). If reefer A uses supplement A and B uses B and C uses None, the costs are all different. Additionally reefer A may have a horrible tank, and Reefer B may have a tank of the month. Unless you know the quality of the tank - the spending makes no difference. As some posters say - they waste money every month - should that be included? It is really an interesting but impossible question. Unless you maybe want to ask a Zooligical garden.

Not an impossible question, but I agree it's unlikely that most hobbies will give accurate info. Just knowing average cost of electricity and WCs would be helpful. Sub categorize for lighting type and tank size.

Local reef clubs could help each other collect data. With a team approach it would be easier to collect all info minus livestock. If 10 reefclubs each posted results for at least 10 member tanks there would begin to be enough data to to accurately reflect cost. The data can be aggregated to reflect supplements as well. This is very useful info. TOTM or not doesn't matter, but maybe a minimum time frame is needed. I know I spent way more money in the beginning than I do now.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not an impossible question, but I agree it's unlikely that most hobbies will give accurate info. Just knowing average cost of electricity and WCs would be helpful. Sub categorize for lighting type and tank size.

Local reef clubs could help each other collect data. With a team approach it would be easier to collect all info minus livestock. If 10 reefclubs each posted results for at least 10 member tanks there would begin to be enough data to to accurately reflect cost. The data can be aggregated to reflect supplements as well. This is very useful info. TOTM or not doesn't matter, but maybe a minimum time frame is needed. I know I spent way more money in the beginning than I do now.

What I meant is that unless you start by comparing tanks of equal quality, the data will be meaningless. A poorly kept reef tank with a poor quality light and a hang on the back filter will cost very little per month per gallon. An SPS tank using multiple supplements, test kits, good flow pumps good food will cost much more per gallon? And some of the 'gadgets' people may choose to use may in fact be 'useless'

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I understand your point, I just disagree. The data would show a median. The median would simply be a reference point for those interested in the hobby or for those upgrading to a larger tank.

A thriving reef tank has little to do with automataion, gadgets, and top of the line equipment.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh lawd........... If I add it all up, I might shut the tank down. Some things are better left unknown. I'd estimate over a hundred, though....

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sentiment exactly ..... the siren cry of the large tank owner LOL

PS - I'd imagine the electricity bill alone is well north of $100/month.

Rn1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 220 and really have no idea what I spend a month to run it. I love my tank and enjoy the hobby so I dont want to know because it is too expensive and I probably couldn't justify the expense.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 157 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back