Poll: What Would You Say Your Average Running Costs Are A Month

Average Running/Operating Costs A Month? (Not Equipment)

• Total voters

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't really added it up before:eek:. Just for food and things such as acropower, 8.4 etc it came out to around 130$ a month. We buy salt every few months that is about 83$ (rscp) 200g bag. We have a 75g reef. I'm sure I'm missing a few things but I don't want to add anymore to the list lol.

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As many are pointing out the issue of variables, this is something to consider. However, if reefers were able to calculate actual cost of running/maintaining there tanks this could be very useful. With enough accurate data a median range would be observed. That range would correspond to a range of gallons as well. Yes outliers, yes variables, but potential to be useful.

The key here is accurate data and a lot of it.

OP
OP
Daltrey

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s all in fun. Not really wanting to break it down in how many seconds in each month, ha. I plan on going to a red sea reefer 175 XXL next year. Picked up my current 155 gallon bowfront used and bought most of the equipment used in new condition for almost half price. There never seems to be a shortage of people getting out of the hobby.

I understand it is an almost impossible question to answer though. Kind of like how much does it cost to raise my 2 year old and two teenagers, ha. Anyway there have been some great responses and as my tank gets more established I guess I will find out in the long run.

Thanks everyone for checking out the thread. Happy Reefing!

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say. I have a 600g tank. Id say im around 100$ a month. My electric is around 200$ a month but thats a big house and a barn with tools being used all the time by my brother. Rods food i get for next to nothing. Otherwise i dont dose anything. I do a water change every 2 months usually. KAlk costs next to nothing. Im on a well so water is free. Filters maybe i go through a change every couple mohtns. Lights, radions and MH. So they MH i change once a year. Thats 4x60. 240$ a year. Yea, id say im around 100$ lol.

indyjaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably $15-25 on electric for my 120G with LED and quality pumps

Consumables: $25/month (Food, salt, DI Resin, Filters)

Deaths: $40 (Coral/fish)

dcraigj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think you should add a response "don't keep track".

I have a 120 gallon and don't monitor my expenses. I just replace food, salt, dosing, or misc when I notice it getting low.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines about $15/month on average, including food, 3-part, lighting, etc etc.

My heater has been kicking on for the first time in like 4 months so maybe it'll be $20 this month :D

the good thing about smaller tanks is products that must be replenished last MONTHS.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 300 gallon system I am guessing under $40 a month. Don't do water changes if I did 10 percent a week that would add $50 a month in salt and more frequent di resin and filter changes. Use a calcium reactor and media last quite a while. most of my expense is electricity then food.

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have solar panels and I sized them to include a much larger reef system. I use electricity with reckless abandon when it comes to the tank. I spend the saved money on good live food for the fish and gas to drive all over to lfss. I have stopped doing water changes which is a large savings.

My expenses are:
Food - $35 a month
Triton additives - $5
Testing - $10
Bulb replacement - $5

Divorce lawyer fees because I spend more time playing with the tank then my wife .....

John Lohsr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what it cost per month, I have a 90 gal that I am adding or upgrading something every month. Last month new powerhead, this month auto doser, plus salt, gfo carbon, dosing chemicals. So I spend around $200. A month

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minimum cost per month to maintain my IM40 and IM10? Probably $10-15. Now, do I need to accrue for the things that I don't need to replace every month? That would be ~$7 per month to accrue for replacement T5 bulbs, $5 to replace my Chemipure every 3 months, so on and so on.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I cant believe the over $100 is not more. my electric alone is more then that. I guess it all depends on the size of the tank, I would assume tanks that are 150 gallons or more and are keeping SPS are all $100 or more a month.

Kinggeorge818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shudder to think about my monthly costs...I’ve got a 675 gallon display with the whole system being 1,200 gallons and my bills scare me! But I love the hobby so I can’t complain

OP
OP
Daltrey

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant believe the over $100 is not more. my electric alone is more then that. I guess it all depends on the size of the tank, I would assume tanks that are 150 gallons or more and are keeping SPS are all $100 or more a month.

My electric is only .07 a kilowatt. My 155 gallon tank probably adds $10 a month to my electric bill. I plan on hooking up my kill a watt meter soon and checking.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait. This is really my wife posting this in disguise trying to trick me, right? I can talk in circles on this topic all day without answering any questions.

$50 bucks seems awful cheep to me, even water and electricity. I'd bet more are closer to $100 then you realize if you really kept track.

FlyinBryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My electric bill went from $85 to $210 for my 400g. And my water bill is a lot.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back