What is your favorite coral in your tank that did not cost you a lot.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the hobby, there are a lot of different corals one can purchase for their tank. Corals ranging from cheap basic frags all the way to some that cost a pretty penny. I am wondering what is your favorite coral you have in your tank that didn't break the bank. Curious to see what everyone says!

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FREE Hammer! Given to me when it got to big for a friend's tank, and I've already fragged it multiple time.

20231108_132238.jpg

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's easy, my Efflo! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Cost me less than than an equivalent of $20, was light brown and full of spionid worms last year, yes all of this is what I got!
P_20220603_153026.jpg

But the last couple of months its undergone a tremendous transformation. :) Also I cut the whole base of the colony off and put it in another tank, since there was some self-shadowing going on.

ReefTemp2.jpg

EithelSirion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like this question is different if you're asking for corals we got for cheaper than what they would typically be worth (like a freebie or a sale) vs a coral that is normally cheap.

For corals that are normally cheap ($20 or under), I have a few favorites over the years.
For SPS, Green Slimer, Forest Fire Digitata, and red Montipora Setosa are great and always very cheap relative to other SPS. The Setosa never has grown as fast as the other two but all three are steady growth month over month.
IMG_8949.jpg

Green Slimer
IMG_9297.jpg

Forest Fire Digi. This was growth in 3 months from a freebie frag from Battlecorals
IMG_9158.jpg

Setosa with a Panamic Barnacle Blenny on it

For soft corals, I have a Purple Sea Whip (Antillogorgia elisabethae) that is the brightest purple in the tank under daylights and grows well year over year. I think I got it from Gulf Coast Ecosystems a few years ago for $12.
IMG_9380.jpg

Here it is behind the TCK Pikachu on the right. Note how much better colored it is in daylight than the TG Amber Sea Fan gorgonian in the background left.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tyree Lime in the Sky and Greg C Ultimate Stag are cheap and easy to grow acropora that are amazing once they get going. The contrast from interior to exterior are really good. They are also tolerant to a wide range of water and light conditions.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My amazing mushroom colony! Was free with the tank. Only dang coral I seem to be able to keep. Its very happy and Im proud if it! Its in the background. Excuse Nala, she loves to photo bomb me and be the center of attention :)

Attachments

• IMG_3033.jpeg
    IMG_3033.jpeg
    214 KB · Views: 61

Marine430

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally love all my $5 and $10 frags or the buy 3 get 1 free deal. For me getting a cheap frag and watching it grow is more satisfying then purchasing coral that is already grown. Plus if it dies im not out $50+

piscesgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like most good parents, I love them all equally ;):beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes::face-with-hand-over-mouth:
My fav is my hammer I bought from a reefer getting out of the hobby, for $25.
My clowns are hosting in it and so far, he doesn’t seem to mind.

IMG_4486.jpeg

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like most good parents, I love them all equally ;):beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes::face-with-hand-over-mouth:
My fav is my hammer I bought from a reefer getting out of the hobby, for $25.
My clowns are hosting in it and so far, he doesn’t seem to mind.

IMG_4486.jpeg
Nice looking hammer!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
aside from my og bounce and csb bta, most of my corals cost about the same. at this point i would be choosing my current favorite out the bunch..thinking it’s the vivids insanity. it’s been coloring up for me slowwwwwwly. perhaps once i recover the recent order from @SBB Corals i’ll have a new favorite! got two boogers and a nice speciosa

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back