Polyclad flatworm infestation

Reefrookey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all
I just wanted to share a photo that I shot through my microscope of a Polyclad flatworm with hopes that it helps someone else ID what the have. So my story goes like this; I kept noticing that my sand was turning brown during the lighting period and would recede at night. I had been dealing with Dinos over the past year and was upset that they had returned. Only upon closer examination did I determine that the brown coating on my gravel was actually millions of Polyclad flatworms. Seriously….. my sand bed was brown with them. I took a sample and was able to capture the video I have attached. Here is the good news. Flat worm exit has seamed to have exterminated them! I began a treatment of 1.5 times the initial starting dose and within a half hour to forty five minutes I could tell that they were not feeling as spry as they were. I must note that before I began teatime with FWE i vacuumed my gravel several times into a 3 micron filter sock. After I started to remove me treatment with carbon I vacuumed several more times. Today I could still see several worms that were very lethargic but still had the energy to crawl onto the lit side of the rocks so I did another full dose, but this time I left the treatment in the water. I have seen no ille effects on any fish or corals. Actually the poly extension on many of my corals has greatly improved. Thanks for reading this long post but I just want to pay all the help I have received over the years forward!

22EDFD87-CBC8-42ED-BED5-76B5F336BC49.jpeg 02D00533-4621-4B99-ABBF-C53629EDFFFF.jpeg B67FE600-8E27-4053-B645-166C03CE38C2.jpeg

Last edited:

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What do they look like without the microscope? Like this by chance?

Attachments

• 20221121_122835.jpg
    20221121_122835.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 20221121_122822.jpg
    20221121_122822.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 44

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting. Are you sure they're polyclads? Polyclad flatworms usually show up much larger, as singletons preying on snails. Never heard of a massive swam of teeny-tiny flatworms turning out to be polyclads.

OP
OP
R

Reefrookey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Are you sure they're polyclads? Polyclad flatworms usually show up much larger, as singletons preying on snails. Never heard of a massive swam of teeny-tiny flatworms turning out to be polyclads.
I submitted my photos and videos to some experts on the FB Dino page and they ID’d the as Polyclad. I had never seen a worm similar to what I had and didn’t receive an ID on R2R. So that’s all I have to go on. I will say that Flatworm Exit is knocking them back considerably but I don’t think I’m out of the woods yet. I am three treatments in , with the last being double strength. I plan to do another treatment in a few days to kill any hatching eggs. I am open to suggestions so please hit me with your ideas. My corals look 100% better with nearly everything opening fully.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many varieties of polyclad flatworms so maybe that's the difference, but I can say the euphyllia ones I have had don't even flinch in a dip of flatworm exit at 50x the in tank dose.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back