Polyclad Flatworm :(

erinmegan85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before going to bed last night I happened to notice a moving blob inside my biocube that had the lights off. It didn't look like any other blob I had seen moving in the dark in the tank yet. I quickly turned on the lights and saw this thing that looked like an alien in the corner of my tank. It clearly didn't like the light and began to retreat toward the rock, so instead of doing the right thing and catching it I took a video instead. :rolleyes: Took a look at Renee's hitchhiker guide, and figured out it's a polyclad flatworm. Thanks @Lionfish Lair !

Read on to find that they eat snails, which explains why I only have like a cerith, an astrea, and stomatella snails left in the tank. I thought the others had just died off, but it turns out they were probably eaten by this guy. Going to start setting a trap to try to catch this one and whatever other ones may be in there. Anyone want it once I get it?

Here's the video of the blob (excuse my glass that needs to be cleaned):

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That thing is awesome. I would so want it if it wasn't so ridiculously difficult to keep it out of parts of your system. But the size of it. And how fast it moves. Amazing.

OP
OP
erinmegan85

erinmegan85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not just snails. I also had one that ate a small rock flower anemone before I realized it was in the tank and got it out.

Thanks for this info because I do have rock flowers in my tank. They're a pretty decent size, but so is that worm.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catching them is not fun, you wouldn't think they move fast but the do! They also have a taste for clams!!:confused: Get rid of asap!!!

OP
OP
erinmegan85

erinmegan85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you try to net it when you saw it?

Nope. I didn't know what it was and wanted to try to look it up. I honestly wasn't even thinking, but I'm glad I didn't try to grab it when I saw it because it would've split and I would have two.

Hopefully it's a loner.

I'm hoping so too. This thing is huge and that tank is only 14 gallons. I'm pretty sure that it must of come in with the live rock when I set up the tank, which was back in the beginning of February. I'm only now seeing it, so me thinks it's going to take me a while to catch it. I haven't had any luck yet, but I've been setting a trap. Might have to move from clams to a sacrificial snail.

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro will melt them. They may release some nasty stuff when they die so 15 minutes after rising prazi you need to get carbon in water. 15-20 minutes of prazi will melt them.

You will need to dose at least twice because one that size will be laying eggs.

Almost impossible to manually remove because a little piece left behind will grow. Bayer won't kill it will just stun.

I tried prazi on a frag in a friends recommendation.

If you want to go that route. I'm downsizing and starting fresh because I had them in my 125g and don't want to dose entire thing.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 76 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 10 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back