Polyps coral covered with white stuff

EugeneKwok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new Polyps coral is covered with some white stuff, and it smell like something rotten, the rotten part of the coral are in brown color under the white stuff, anyone know how can I do for it?
B568B55F-CE78-45FC-9A88-01B0AE7E4368.jpeg
4E2A2BF7-DA63-4281-B1D1-14CD9CC2FFAE.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where did you get it? How long in shipping?
Is the white stuff anywhere else? Other stuff in tank?
I would tend to put it in a bucket of clean saltwater - and vigorously rinse/shake it - such that most of the presumably dead 'stuff' came out. You could also try a coral dip.

GSP tends to be very forgiving - so any more information you could give - as to what might have happened would help. The good news is that even after months they can come back. I'd be worried about putting something (that seems to be big) - thats perhaps dying/rotting - back in my tank.

Depending on the answers to the questions - I would tend to brea off the healthy portions - and discard the bad pieces..

PS - other params in your tank would be helpful.

OP
OP
E

EugeneKwok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get it? How long in shipping?
Is the white stuff anywhere else? Other stuff in tank?
I would tend to put it in a bucket of clean saltwater - and vigorously rinse/shake it - such that most of the presumably dead 'stuff' came out. You could also try a coral dip.

GSP tends to be very forgiving - so any more information you could give - as to what might have happened would help. The good news is that even after months they can come back. I'd be worried about putting something (that seems to be big) - thats perhaps dying/rotting - back in my tank.

Depending on the answers to the questions - I would tend to brea off the healthy portions - and discard the bad pieces..

PS - other params in your tank would be helpful.
Hi there, thanks for replying. Actually we got this in a aquarium store in Vancouver, and we went home right away after the purchase. There are just few small white area on it. Our tank is just settled up for more than a week, and we didn’t put any fish inside, there are just two bom bo crab, one Cypraeidae snail. The other corals are all right. We had cleaned up the white stuff and cut the rotten stuff underneath, and rinsed the sick areas by saltwater. We had put it back to the tank. But the sick areas are not coming out so far. Not sure if we did the right procedures, but that what we have done for the situation.

OP
OP
E

EugeneKwok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like either a sponge or some bacteria, just blow it off with a turkey baster.
Yah, we took off the white stuff and cleaned the rotten part underneath, we put it back to the tank last night, and still keep observing it, the sick parts are not opening by far.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yah, we took off the white stuff and cleaned the rotten part underneath, we put it back to the tank last night, and still keep observing it, the sick parts are not opening by far.
Ok - my experience is that with GSP - they can not open (and this is true) - for 3 months after a stress. On the other hand - my experience is strongly - if something smells 'dead' - get rid of it. I.e get rid of those parts of that GSP. Do you have tests for ammonia, etc - for your tank? My guess is something is affecting/infecting the GSP. BUT - they are extremely resilient . Again - in my tank - anything that smells 'dead' - goes. Because leaving it has never ended up working well. BTW - I dont mean throwing the whole piece - But - The dying parts. perhaps

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back