Polyps missing from Pink Lemonade

jasonandsarah

Sticks, sticks and more STICKS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over feeding brings me to another question relating to skimmers.

Once I have my skimmer broken in, would it be safe to say that a skimmer pulling a lot of nasty out could signify over feeding? I've never seen anything that states how much is too much. As of now, I have zero algae in the tank. I've got cleanish biofilm that forms on the glass every few days.

One nice observation is that my strawberry shortcake frag and green slimer frag are showing great PE since putting that coral food in the water. Just wish the PL would respond the same. :-(

I'll just focus on keeping things stable for now. Thanks for all the help!
It's not really a good way to judge over feeding with a skimmer imo. If I was you I would feed my fish twice a day and only feed them what they eat no more. Also like I said before, using a good frozen food will work wonders imo. Also I'm a firm believer in Algae turf scrubbers.
Test test test and test some more

OP
OP
Mattrg02

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not really a good way to judge over feeding with a skimmer imo. If I was you I would feed my fish twice a day and only feed them what they eat no more. Also like I said before, using a good frozen food will work wonders imo. Also I'm a firm believer in Algae turf scrubbers.
Test test test and test some more

I've been feeding frozen mysis and pellets. My sixline only eats the mysis, my clown eats anything.

They'll eat an amazing amount! That's why I used to feed once every 2 days. Lately, I've been feeding every day. The clown also does it's best to eat all the filter feeder food as well. Such a hungry pig.

Still zero nitrates. I'll pick up a Hanna phosphate meter this week and make sure I'm not getting out of whack.

jasonandsarah

Sticks, sticks and more STICKS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you easily get Larry's reef frenzy or Roggers reef food?
Is that all you have for fish?

OP
OP
Mattrg02

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you easily get Larry's reef frenzy or Roggers reef food?
Is that all you have for fish?
I could find it. I wish reefcleaners still had this stuff for sale so I could remember what was in it. It was highly recommended but I chickened out since I didn't have a skimmer.

Yes those are my two fish. There's some hermits in there and a snail somewhere. I'm considering one final fish. I've been waiting for something truly interesting.

OP
OP
Mattrg02

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm confused again lol I forgot you only have a 17g tank

Yup. I'm living in an apartment right now and they don't like anything over 20g.

I'm only considering a third fish since I'm getting a Tunze 9001 skimmer this week.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monitor........... test.............. observe................test.................. enjoy and relax!!
Your tank belongs IMO to the 10% healthy tanks.
You don't have # that are out of whack, no Algae outbreak of any kind, no dying fish or diseases, no dying corals.
Your PL just doesn't feel home yet.
If your skimmer arrives I wouldn't set it up yet, I don't see a reason why.
You will pull even more nutrients out the water column and you observed today that feeding is helping on your hand, just do it in moderate portions.
As I always say "if you think you go slow, slow down even more. Only bad things happens fast in this hobby"
Don't make this tank your White Whale!

OP
OP
Mattrg02

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monitor........... test.............. observe................test.................. enjoy and relax!!
Your tank belongs IMO to the 10% healthy tanks.
You don't have # that are out of whack, no Algae outbreak of any kind, no dying fish or diseases, no dying corals.
Your PL just doesn't feel home yet.
If your skimmer arrives I wouldn't set it up yet, I don't see a reason why.
You will pull even more nutrients out the water column and you observed today that feeding is helping on your hand, just do it in moderate portions.
As I always say "if you think you go slow, slow down even more. Only bad things happens fast in this hobby"
Don't make this tank your White Whale!

The PL is becoming my white whale.
:)

I'll focus more on keeping things stable and slowly allowing the nutrients to increase via feeding.

Matt

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The PL is becoming my white whale.
:)

I'll focus more on keeping things stable and slowly allowing the nutrients to increase via feeding.

Matt
That sounds like a decent plan. You should observe every coral to get a feel for what is going on in your tank, but very rarely should you change things in your tank off the observations of one coral. Especially a new frag.

BTW small tanks can be a challenge so congrats on keeping sps in a 17 gallon!

OP
OP
Mattrg02

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a decent plan. You should observe every coral to get a feel for what is going on in your tank, but very rarely should you change things in your tank off the observations of one coral. Especially a new frag.

BTW small tanks can be a challenge so congrats on keeping sps in a 17 gallon!

I actually downsized from a 20g acrylic that had been beat up badly by scratches. :)

Having such a small tank is nerve wracking but so far so good. Seems fine as long as you keep an eye on what you put in it. I've got reliable hardware now, just have to keep a close eye on the nutrients and salt parameters.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 191 71.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back