Pom Pom Crab in 5g with goby/pistol pair

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's say I was very disappointed from my last shipment from them also. I tried a few times, and never been happy. so sorry you got a bum deal. Hopefully your little crab friends will do fine. Maybe the emerald will grow back legs after a molt. If you get him that far.

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's say I was very disappointed from my last shipment from them also. I tried a few times, and never been happy. so sorry you got a bum deal. Hopefully your little crab friends will do fine. Maybe the emerald will grow back legs after a molt. If you get him that far.
Everything smelled like rotting sea creatures. I wouldn't even bother trying him again with overnight shipping. Keeping my fingers crossed for the emerald and pom, but not holding my breath. :(

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s so sad! Hope you get a refund. :(

Will the poor crabs Pom poms grow back?
No, they get these tiny anemones in the wild. If they lose both poms in the wild they just grab more. If they lose just one (either in the wild or in a tank) they can split the remaining one to give them two again. I don't think people keep these tiny anemones in their tanks so the seller can't even ship a couple of them which is why it's so not cool they shipped one of these guys without any poms!!

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted in the reply above -- it was reefcleaners.org. :( I actually found out about them reading someone else's post on here (can't remember the user, but I think they have Che Guevara as their profile pic). I don't have a decent LFS near me (I'm in Utah), so I get nearly everything online. I am so disappointed in this order and pretty much threw $110 in the garbage. I would gladly pay twice the cost to get healthy creatures. Ugh.
I consider myself lucky to have a few saltwater shops near me but I know a lot of people don't (including you) that have to reply online. I'm surprised you said it was Reef Cleaners because it sounds like they have a pretty solid reputation on here but obviously things can change. I'm sure everyone who has done online for livestock have some sad stories but the quality of the store is how they deal with DOA. They seem quite random in how they deal with DOAs. If you check out post #19 in the flowing thread the member mentions Reef Cleaners offered a refund or replacement so what's up that they're asking you to return them!! https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reef-cleaners-experiences.759778/

Also, if the creature was still alive (even if barely) I wouldn't have the heart to return it because that would spell certain death for the creature! I would try to save it like you did! This is awful!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had a couple DOAs in otherwise healthy shipments from RC, and always had them promptly refunded. Odd they've not done that for you. I guess since the pom-pom isn't dead?

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a couple DOAs in otherwise healthy shipments from RC, and always had them promptly refunded. Odd they've not done that for you. I guess since the pom-pom isn't dead?
You're probably right... They're using the "get out of jail free" card because it isn't dead. That's nasty. It's like they sent only part of the order. Like another member mentioned a pom pom crab without pom poms is just a crab! If they want to keep a good reputation they should replace her order because the other part of her order was dead and near dead.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing and you're spot on about master landscaper and the foreman. Haha. My pistol has almost completely buried a rock I recently put in. I didn't realize I had that much sand in the tank!! Haha.

Thanks for posting the pics of your floating scape! That is awesome looking! I've been wanting to do something exactly like this so I can get more real estate in my tank. So is that a real rock or a faux rock? If it's real I'm surprised the magnets were able to hold it up!
Real rock, and remember that it weighs less while in the water - I have made several of these for mine and my son's tanks. Save your magnets from Power heads and Tunze ATOs that you don't use, check amazon etc and it should not be hard
And in this case the GSP have added its our support

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw, I've been using ReefCleaners for years and have never had any issue getting DOA's refunded by John. I cannot speak to some of the recent poor experiences with ReefCleaners I've read about lately on the forum though.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Real rock, and remember that it weighs less while in the water - I have made several of these for mine and my son's tanks. Save your magnets from Power heads and Tunze ATOs that you don't use, check amazon etc and it should not be hard
And in this case the GSP have added its our support
Awesome. Thank you! I'm excited to try this. :)

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Thank you! I'm excited to try this. :)
Another on in a 90 mangrove/lagoon that was on the back attached through the ATO reservoir but on the side for maintenance. A good way to keep your GSP isolated and add some color

Quite easy to do - i lay the tank side magnet down on wax paper and build the platform around it with mortar and or gel super glue
97493A80-8642-49F5-9CCE-D76121E1311D.jpeg
41130E79-744D-4A92-84E6-96F20ADD1DF0.jpeg

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another on in a 90 mangrove/lagoon that was on the back attached through the ATO reservoir but on the side for maintenance. A good way to keep your GSP isolated and add some color

Quite easy to do - i lay the tank side magnet down on wax paper and build the platform around it with mortar and or gel super glue
97493A80-8642-49F5-9CCE-D76121E1311D.jpeg
41130E79-744D-4A92-84E6-96F20ADD1DF0.jpeg
Very nice! This is perfect for my setup so I'm glad you mentioned it! It not only gives me more room for corals but it will allow me to keep corals like gsp without the fear of it over running my tank! :)

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have a tiger pistol ive heard some things about them getting agro, but it seems to be rare. regardless put a few bits of shells in your tank for your pistol to put in its burrow.
Hello fellow saltines,

I've been trying to find out whether a goby/pistol pair that I currently have in my tank will be compatible with a pom pom crab? I know they are compatible in general I just wasn't sure if a 5g might be too small to house them together. What I'm concerned about is the pom pom running into either the goby or shrimp and he stings them with his anemones. Has anyone kept these guys in a pick? I have two large rocks in the tank and the goby/shrimp mainly stick to their rock.

I don't have any cuc in the tank and would like to get something to clean up leftover food. I love the poms but maybe I should just get some snails for safety?a

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have a tiger pistol ive heard some things about them getting agro, but it seems to be rare. regardless put a few bits of shells in your tank for your pistol to put in its burrow.
Thanks for this! I didn't think of the shells. Good idea! There were a few tense days in the beginning. My pistol would do stealth attacks against my pom. He never directly attacked my pom but would sneak up and start snapping his claws. After a few days my pom turned the tables and would hang out over one of the burrow entrances and punch my pistol in the head when he came out. Haha. That seemed to ease the situation. Now they seem to co-exist just fine (fingers crossed). I thought this hobby was suppose to ease our stress, not heighten it. LOL

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after not having laid eyes on this little critter for at least three weeks, he was creeping through the algae
as he crept back into hiding he came on a Emerald 2x his mass and waved the emerald scrambling away
81D43594-7A13-4F0F-976B-25F073FEA61F.jpeg
AC80280E-37E5-4CE9-9282-5C2C0A3FE8C5.jpeg

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after not having laid eyes on this little critter for at least three weeks, he was creeping through the algae
as he crept back into hiding he came on a Emerald 2x his mass and waved the emerald scrambling away
81D43594-7A13-4F0F-976B-25F073FEA61F.jpeg
Wow!! That is amazing and he looks so healthy for having disappeared for 3 weeks. What size is your tank? I become really stressed when I don't see my guy for a day. Haha. Usually I see just his poms waving around from in between a crack in the rock someplace or on the underside of it. I read their anemones are the most venemous type in the ocean. If this is true then I'm not surprised the Emerald high tailed it as fast as he could away from pommy. Haha. Those are great pics by the way! :)

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!! That is amazing and he looks so healthy for having disappeared for 3 weeks. What size is your tank? I become really stressed when I don't see my guy for a day. Haha. Usually I see just his poms waving around from in between a crack in the rock someplace or on the underside of it. I read their anemones are the most venemous type in the ocean. If this is true then I'm not surprised the Emerald high tailed it as fast as he could away from pommy. Haha. Those are great pics by the way! :)
It is a WB 15 Peninsula “with so many places she can hide”.

Has a large magnet supported overhead aqua scape with loads of nooks and crannies and a fair amount of macro algae she likes to crawl through.

I have it as my office tank and if i am not sitting on the proper side i may never see HER (was gravid when i acquired her)

Tank is a heavy crustacean populated tank -one scarlet, one cleaner and one pistol, one porcelain, one Halloween, 2 emerald and 2 scarlet hermit crabs.
But indeed I was really happy to see her again in all her glory

My 4 year grand niece was able to see her and become smitten, so we will be looking for her more

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a WB 15 Peninsula “with so many places she can hide”.

Has a large magnet supported overhead aqua scape with loads of nooks and crannies and a fair amount of macro algae she likes to crawl through.

I have it as my office tank and if i am not sitting on the proper side i may never see HER (was gravid when i acquired her)

Tank is a heavy crustacean populated tank -one scarlet, one cleaner and one pistol, one porcelain, one Halloween, 2 emerald and 2 scarlet hermit crabs.
But indeed I was really happy to see her again in all her glory

My 4 year grand niece was able to see her and become smitten, so we will be looking for her more
That's awesome! If I can lose sight of mine in a 5g with just two rocks then I can't imagine a 15g with all of the hidey holes your tank has! LOL. It's like playing "Where's Waldo". Haha.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back