Pom Pom Crab is a thief

coralnoob22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Pom Pom crab that lost its anemone in transport has picked up my condy anemone and is using it as its own Pom Pom anemone, is there any way to stop this?

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Pom Pom crab that lost its anemone in transport has picked up my condy anemone and is using it as its own Pom Pom anemone, is there any way to stop this?
not sure. Funny though. You could maybe take a plastic piece or a card and scrape the anemone off.

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk how thats physically possible tbh.

May we see photos? Are you sure its a condy anemone the crab picked up?

Even aiptasia is too big for them let alone any condy I've seen.

EDIT: I wanted to research before I said it, but yeah pom pom crabs are only known for picking up Triactis producta in hawaii, and in the indo-pacific been recorded with Bunodeopsis anemones alongside Triactis. It shouldn't even view condylactus as a viable anemone. There was even a study with a group of 50 of them and 48 of them all had the same anemone... the other 2 just were noted missing one or more anemones.

If you can provide a photo maybe something else is going on or this isn't really a condy anemone we're talking about.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

coralnoob22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk how thats physically possible tbh.

May we see photos? Are you sure its a condy anemone the crab picked up?

Even aiptasia is too big for them let alone any condy I've seen.

EDIT: I wanted to research before I said it, but yeah pom pom crabs are only known for picking up Triactis producta in hawaii, and in the indo-pacific been recorded with Bunodeopsis anemones alongside Triactis. It shouldn't even view condylactus as a viable anemone. There was even a study with a group of 50 of them and 48 of them all had the same anemone... the other 2 just were noted missing one or more anemones.

If you can provide a photo maybe something else is going on or this isn't really a condy anemone we're talking about.
I can snap a picture the next time I see her. The anemone on it has the purple tips on it just like the condy I had that shriveled up.

formallydehyde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a pom pom crab with an Alicia anemone (on its claws and growing freely) from this paper: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jembe.2013.07.011
Any chance it looked like that?
I wouldn't be surprised if a pom pom crab got desperate and took a non-preferred anemone if they completely lost both though, their claws are nearly useless without an anemone.

Attachments

• 1-s2.0-S0022098113002827-gr1_lrg.jpg
    1-s2.0-S0022098113002827-gr1_lrg.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 54

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back