Poof - he is gone? Yellow Headed Sleeper Golby

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Five days ago, I impulse bought a Yellow Headed Sleeper Goby at my LFS. He was very active and they fed him. The first day in my tank he hid back in the corner next to a snail. I thought - ok, lets give him a few days. The next day at feeding time, he swam out and at some flake food in the morning and some frozen Mysis shrimp in the evening. The third day - he is no where to be found. My tank has a net top but I checked the floor, the tank overflows...nope.

Is he gone or just hiding in the sand/under the rock? Suggestions ?

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have first hand experience with our female blue star leopard wrasse disappearing for what seemed like 30 days when first introduced to one of my tanks.

Thought she was a goner, and "lo and behold" showed up for a feeding one day. She has been fat and happy for probably close to a year now. Swimming about actively and always curiously searching crevices for any potential meals.

It is possible it could be hiding out, but only time will tell. Hoping for the best. :)

OP
OP
GuppyHJD

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have first hand experience with our female blue star leopard wrasse disappearing for what seemed like 30 days when first introduced to one of my tanks.

Thought she was a goner, and "lo and behold" showed up for a feeding one day. She has been fat and happy for probably close to a year now. Swimming about actively and always curiously searching crevices for any potential meals.

It is possible it could be hiding out, but only time will tell. Hoping for the best. :)
sure hope so...we shall see

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If had fish like that disappear for so long (after I've checked the carpet, check the overflow, the plumbing, etc.) that I would literally forget about them. Must have been in the sand, because 2 or more months later, bam, swimming around with the rest of the tankmates! ;Wideyed

BlenniesAndTangs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My female sleeper goby had been hiding for 3 days, and after we checked the area they lived at, (their burrow) she was buried in the corpse dead. Most likely died from starvation. Had the same problem like that, so it seems like you would have the same ending like me. Clearly I was too late on checking the rock because she was just a corpse, beginning to rot.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s hit and miss. Whenever one of my fish disappears for even a day (or skips an important feeding) I immediately start looking for a corpse. I truly wish that some of the fish that have disappeared would make a sudden reappearance, bit sadly that doesn’t seem to be the case for me.

Back