Pool Filter Sand?

SRT80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use pool filter sand for saltwater aquariums? Reason I ask is, I was selling my 72 bowfront setup but I have decided to keep it since there is no interest. I had the tank setup with goldfish and was using pool filter sand for the substrate. Just picked up a reef capable led from the 225 part out sale and I really like the light. The color and shimmer is really nice. It's pretty bright to where I think mushrooms and star polyps would do fine. But no corals for this tank.

I have a extra bag of sand that I bought when I set the tank up and was wondering if I could use it? Not gonna be a reef tank. Just some live rock and I'll probably throw some artificial plants for movement.

Thoughts? Or should I just go ahead and by some dry aragonite?

Steve

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just silica sand? If so, it should be fine. I have silica sand in my tank. I actually like it better than aragonite. Of course if you put it in and there is some kind of weird contaminant in it and it nukes everything then don't blame me. :D

OP
OP
S

SRT80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to wait til I get home. I can't even remember where I got it. I'll look at the bag and get all the info it says.

Steve

scooterc268

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Save yourself the trouble and get yourself agronite sand. It's cheap enough where you won't break the bank. If not, your next post will be about diatom control.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silica sand does not cause diatoms! That is an old myth. Silica is not the same as silicates.

scooterc268

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silica sand does not cause diatoms! That is an old myth. Silica is not the same as silicates.

Silicon dioxide, also known as silica (from the Latin silex), is a chemical compound that is an oxide of silicon with the chemical formula SiO2. It has been known for its hardness since ancient times. Silica is most commonly found in nature as sand or quartz, as well as in the cell walls of diatoms.

Diatoms[1] are a major group of algae, and are one of the most common types of phytoplankton. Most diatoms are unicellular, although they can exist as colonies in the shape of filaments or ribbons (e.g. Fragilaria), fans (e.g. Meridion), zigzags (e.g. Tabellaria), or stellate colonies (e.g. Asterionella). Diatoms are producers within the food chain. A characteristic feature of diatom cells is that they are encased within a cell wall made of silica (hydrated silicon dioxide) called a frustule. These frustules show a wide diversity in form, but usually consist of two asymmetrical sides with a split between them, hence the group name. Fossil evidence suggests that they originated during, or before, the early Jurassic Period. Only male gametes of centric diatoms are capable of movement by means of flagella. Diatom communities are a popular tool for monitoring environmental conditions, past and present, and are commonly used in studies of water quality.

A silicate (SiO44-) is a compound containing a silicon bearing anion.[citation needed] The great majority of silicates are oxides, but hexafluorosilicate ([SiF6]2−) and other anions are also included. This article focuses mainly on the Si-O anions. Silicates comprise the majority of the earth's crust, as well as the other terrestrial planets, rocky moons, and asteroids. Sand, Portland cement, and thousands of minerals are examples of silicates.
Silicate compounds, including the minerals, consist of silicate anions whose charge is balanced by various cations. Myriad silicate anions can exist, and each can form compounds with many different cations. Hence this class of compounds is very large. Both minerals and synthetic materials fit in this class.

And http://minds.wisconsin.edu/bitstrea...licon.pdf;jsessionid=19hy31e505qnr?sequence=1

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think is one of the main ingredients in glass?

scooterc268

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think is one of the main ingredients in glass?

Hence the reason you will see diatoms grow on the glass also :) They are also able to use the available silicates in the glass. The hardest silicon that diatoms will have a difficult time using would be quartz. Quartz being one of the toughest silicon. However, "sand" is made up of other material that is silicon based that are easily dissolvable in the worlds most versatile solvent- water. If one is able to find just quartz sand, then that would be a better option.

But to side, diatoms need more than just silica/silicates/silicon to form or flourish. The others are nutrients and light. If one who uses whatever type of sand would keep low nutrients and proper lighting then the tank wouldn't be over ran with a diatom outbreak, just as with all nutrient/light loving based organism.

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the difference between silica sand and quartz sand? Isn't most silica broken down quartz?

Ignoring all the scientific data and going on real world experience, I have used silica sand in several tanks dating back nearly 20 years and I have never seen any difference in diatom levels in tanks that had aragonite and tanks that had silica. Has anyone seen a quartz tank that had diatom problems long term? I'm not talking about a few month old tank that inevitably will have some algae blooms. My current tank has had the same silica in it for years and it still looks pretty nice and I only have to run the mag float over it every 3 or 4 days.

I have actually grown to like silica more since I have had times over the years when I have not taken care of the tanks like I should due to raising kids or just loosing interest. Silica just doesn't seem to collect all the crap and clump together like aragonite can when neglected.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back