Poorly 24k ultra gold Chalice!

BradUK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I've just got on from work and my 24k ultra good chalice Seema to be bleaching?

It's on the bottom most edge in this picture, it's actually a lot paler than the photo looks.

It's been in the tank for about two weeks on the sandbed front and center, I've just now moved it to one of the corners on the basis itight be getting too much light?

The tank is a red sea reefer 425XL and the lighting is a pai of red sea ReefLed 90's

Water test at the weekend showed nothing out of the norm. Calcium @ 430. Mag @ 1300 nitrate at 2ppm and phos @ 0.03

Any pointers on what to do please?

Many thanks

20211116_171032.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BradUK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've moved it up about another six inches and a tad more lined up below one of the lights.

Hopefully I'll see an improvement and apologies for the typo riddled initial post, a mixture of worry and turbo typing

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seemed to be fine, I've just noticed that I forgot to put my skimmer back to its normal setting after a bit of maintenance. It was running at 25% capacity for two days.

Do they like a bit more light typically?
Chalice corals typically like lower light

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my chalices hate both light and flow, i would start there. I would put it under an overhanging rock where there is little flow or light, corals be finicky sometimes though so just guessing

OP
OP
B

BradUK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your help guys, I've moved to a more secluded corner of the tank.

Although it was originally on the sandbed, it was bang center of the tank and very exposed to flow across the width of the tank - I have three large pillars of rock but they are pushed towards the back so as to create more swim space for my tangs. I guess the light spread would also converge there too.

The new spot, although still on the sand bed is now between two of the pillars and more towards the back of the tank so hopefully less light and flow will help it!

I noticed yesterday the slightest of white lines across one edge of it and although the picture doesn't do it justice, that bottom "nib" is almost completely white.

OP
OP
B

BradUK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank shot for reference. It's now on the sand between the middle and right pillar where the finger coral used to be - this pic is a three weeks old but you can see the formations

Attachments

• IMG-20211102-WA0019.jpg
    IMG-20211102-WA0019.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 38

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
perfect spot for it, low flow is just what they like so that was probably it. Hope it recovers well, remember to target feed it a bit as well if its tentacles are out and happy reefing

OP
OP
B

BradUK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
perfect spot for it, low flow is just what they like so that was probably it. Hope it recovers well, remember to target feed it a bit as well if its tentacles are out and happy reefing
Thanks again for your help, I'll monitor it over the coming days. I love the coral, hopefully it'll be fine!

Back