Popbloom RS90 wifi upgrade

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Oliver

I recently joined the Popbloom family and purchased on EBay 2x RS 90 lights and brackets with controller, but when I ordered I didn’t realise you had a WI-FI version coming out, is it possible I can upgrade mine to the Wi-Fi version?
So far very happy with the lights, but having the Wi-Fi connectivity would make it much more user friendly

many thanks
Matt
Welcom to Reef2Reef.

Yes, Only replace a boards.

Please there are wifi module listing in ebay or contact the sales. it is very easy.

Would please may it possible you share some pictures for us to admire your tank. :)

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcom to Reef2Reef.

Yes, Only replace a boards.

Please there are wifi module listing in ebay or contact the sales. it is very easy.

Would please may it possible you share some pictures for us to admire your tank. :)

for your reference

Djmac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im having trouble with one of mine. After a power cycle today one of the units stays on full power (white), and doesnt connect to wifi.

What troubleshooting steps should I take? I've tried power cycling it a few times, same behaviour. The working light fires up at full power but then resumes program (I have them at 55% power, mostly blue).

Its not really something you want reliability problems with, I'm a bit worried its going to cook my corals if I have an unexpected power outage.

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im having trouble with one of mine. After a power cycle today one of the units stays on full power (white), and doesnt connect to wifi.

What troubleshooting steps should I take? I've tried power cycling it a few times, same behaviour. The working light fires up at full power but then resumes program (I have them at 55% power, mostly blue).

Its not really something you want reliability problems with, I'm a bit worried its going to cook my corals if I have an unexpected power outage.
first, check the WiFi Signal strength and is it get the IP from the router.

attached video show how to do it

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is a internal timer in light, technically speak, when no signal, the light will run cycle of the last set.

So , I do not want to focus on WiFi signal.

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest reset the connection by scan the following QR code in Tuya app.

Attachments

• 连接配网二维码.png
    连接配网二维码.png
    626 bytes · Views: 32

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
---After a power cycle today

Please what happened when power cycle? are you open the light and remove the wifi module. maybe it is WiFi module loss the connetion.

Djmac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s wasn’t connecting to wifi at all. I’m guessing the module failed to boot correctly.

I power cycled a number of times while I had the cover off (I reseated the wifi module in attempt to get it working). During this it entered pairing mode (flashing blue) and I re-added it to tuya app.

after powering off to reassemble it, it again turned on white only. i powered on and off two or three times and it started working again.

Im hesitant to power cycle it again in case I can’t get it going.

also, I checked router (and tuya app) while it was in “white” full power mode and it wasn’t connected to wifi.

im wondering if this module is faulty?

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
--I power cycled a number of times... During this it entered pairing mode (flashing blue)... I re-added it to tuya app
from this part, I think module is working.

--after powering off to reassemble it, it again turned on white only.
please try to power off and on after "I re-added it to tuya app" and before "reassemle it )

if yes, loose physical connection ( I think 90% ability)
if no, re-added again, and try to run any function in Tuya many times (please near the router).
if connect not OK, I think the internal flash is breken during power off ( 1%)
if OK, let us focus on the different between "cover on and off"

Djmac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
--I power cycled a number of times... During this it entered pairing mode (flashing blue)... I re-added it to tuya app
from this part, I think module is working.

--after powering off to reassemble it, it again turned on white only.
please try to power off and on after "I re-added it to tuya app" and before "reassemle it )

if yes, loose physical connection ( I think 90% ability)
if no, re-added again, and try to run any function in Tuya many times (please near the router).
if connect not OK, I think the internal flash is breken during power off ( 1%)
if OK, let us focus on the different between "cover on and off"
Hi Oliver,

There was an unplanned power outage today at my house and I woke up to find the light at 100% power again. The other unit I had was fine.

I've reseated the module within the light already so I dont think its the physical connection.

If I repeat power off/power on I can get it to return to normal operation (it takes a few power cycles to do this, probably 10 times this morning).

I'm lucky I caught it today (it was for about an hour running at 100%), I usually run these at 50%-60% max blue channel so any longer would have been a big issue.

Are you able to replace the faulty module?

Dave

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I will arrange a new board for you today.
Please during the shipping, let us focus on this problem

Now, I see
1, after cover off, the module can be set and manual dimming correcttly.
2, some time it is 100% when you think it should be 50%-60%.

Would please may it possible you take a short video to show what display on phone screen when 100%.
if the curve and value on screen show 100%, I would like focus on setting. for example, "turn off acclimation"

Please your version is Beta test version. no matter it is software bug or setting problem. find out the answer may much help all of us. :) ,

I am very happy to support you do any test, but , yes, I know you have done too much . please forget it if do more test or show video are difficult for you, I am very thank you for your information and kindly support.

Djmac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Oliver,

Thanks for reaching out and appreciate board replacement.

The issue appears to be a POST issue, the board when powering on doesn't resume cycle properly, and doesnt appear in TUYA app. It will randomly power-on properly and resume cycle.

Im not sure if anyone notices but when these wifi lights power on, they initially are 100% on (ie white) for a brief moment, then they resume their programmed settings. The faulty module stays at 100% white and doesnt resume. (At least thats what it looks like to me).

I will post a video of it shortly.

Cheers

Djmac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its really hard to catch on video because the auto-white balance. I only managed to capture it when the problem occurs.

The two lights are in a device group in Tuya, the one of left is having the issue, the one on right is working ok. They are set to 52% blue channel (white is 18%).

After power cycle one on left runs full power, one on right is at correct brightness.

It takes a number of power cycles for faulty one to come good. It will either return to running programmed settings, or it will see all the power cycles and enter pairing mode.

Last edited:

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
--The issue appears to be a POST issue
Do you mean after install the new WiFi module. the problem is same as the old one?

let me repeat what information I got from your old txt message.
1, the right lamp lost wifi signal some times.
2, after you open the cover, it is good. (connection & setting)
3, then you install the cover, it is some times lost wifi again
4, so I SUGGEST exchange the place of the 2 lamp or test the lamp near the WiFi router
5, you think it is WiFi module problem
6, after install the NEW WiFi module (replacement), the problem is same.

from your video, I see , after power on the right lamp is more white than left lamp.

Yes, after power on, the lamp will try to connect to the server through your wifi router.
if the signal is week or network is not good, the connection is long time.
I mean, there is impossible to ensure SAME TIME when 2 or more lamp connection to server after power on.
also, I think the old and new wifi module are ALL GOOD.

Please as you know, the network issue is more complex (WiFi router signal, Assigning IP addresses, distance, server busy or not, app setting), It is really difficult for me to make right conclusion from the up information):)

what is your advice or suggestion?

Djmac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Oliver,

i received the replacement wifi board yesterday, I haven’t had a chance to install it yet.

In my post above its a video of the original problem with the original faulty board. The white correction of my phone doesn’t do it justice, it is a lot brighter in person.

By POST I mean power on issue (ie not booting correctly). It does not appear to be a wifi issue. the issue happens regardless of whether cover is on or off.

Also regarding the connection to Wifi, when wifi is down I would expect the board to resume program when it powers on anyway. It would be a serious flaw if the lights didn’t return to last program if my wifi/internet was off.

ill let you know how I go with new board. Many thanks for sending a replacement.

Djmac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Oliver,

Sorry for the delay, got the replacement board in today. Ive been having problems with my tank, lost a few corals due to high alk/low nutrients (I think) so I havent had the opportunity until now to do it.

Replacement part is working great. Starts up successfully each time (I've pulled the power twice). Thanks again for replacing it for me.

A couple of things:
Just to make it easier to explain:
- Left light - faulty board, replaced board
- Right light - working ok - untouched
Both lights in a group in tuya app.

I noticed that the new device (left) started in "acclimation" mode, even after I added it to the group to replace the other faulty board. It didnt appear to pick this setting up from the group so I manually turned off acclimation on the new unit. It may have eventually picked that setting up from the group if I had left it. I didnt leave it long. (I wanted it back at the normal preset straight away).

The same thing appears to have happened with the moon cycle. The new light and the group are out of sync. I will leave it for a day or two and see if it corrects itself. ie new replacement "left" board is at day 1 of cycle "2%" and the group/"right" light is at day 14 "93%".

One other thing, I created a custom preset because the lights were way too powerful at 100% for my tank (better than having a light too small :)). Anyway, it would be great if there was a way to export custom presets out of the app so that we can share them more easily.

I also found creating a custom preset quite hard. The out of the box ones that you edit and save have a lot of individual data points in them, and I only wanted something simple (ramp up, peak, ramp down). It took a really long time deleting all the individual program data points to get it to something a bit easier to edit.

Some suggestions:
- is it possible to create a new preset from scratch? (ie not edit an existing one)
- could there be a simple/basic preset that we could use for writing our own (ie only 4 data points)
- it might be a good idea to add presets like "Tropical Spring @ 50% power", "Tropical Spring @ 75% power"?

The LPS and Soft Coral preset, with channel 3 at 100% seems way too powerful, but it may just be my tank is too small (AquaOne Minireef 215). I'm running Ch1 15%, Ch3 55%, and Ch4 25% and getting 100-150 PAR in the bottom to mid area of tank. (measured with a Seneye reef).

Cheers
Dave

Wolf8895

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize if this has been covered already, but is the RL90 Wifi version the same as the RS90 just with the new board already installed in it? I am thinking about replacing my existing light with one of these.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back