Popeye in Blotched Anthias - Help!

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a trio blotched anthias in my QT. I had them for almost 2 months and actually just about done with my Q process and was going to move into my display tank over the weekend. I just noticed that one of the anthias has a really bad popeye! I immediately removed to separate from the others and moved to another 10 gal QT tank. I have read about MELAFIX and Fish Recover M to treat bacterial infections. I ran out today and picked up Fish Recover M from my LFS as the guy there highly recommended. Anyway, just curious if for (1) is popeye contagious - should I treat the other fish, and (2) what is the success rate of treating popeye?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Attila

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a picture taken under white light? Melafix won't really help, Fish Recover is a botanical tonic, and I would not expect it to help with this. There are two main causes of popeye - internal bacterial infection and trauma. Avoid catching the fish up in a net as that only adds to possible trauma. For internal bacterial infections, you can try Maracyn 1 (Erythromycin) in a treatment tank.

Here is a link to an article I wrote about eye diseases in fish:

Jay

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, thanks so much for the response and also sharing this article. It is very good! I will try to take some picks of the fish, but as the article also recommends not to handle so will see how good of a pic I can take - right now the fish is somewhat laying on top of water surface under the hang on power filter... it is breathing, and pretty normal (not heavy breathing). Perhaps it did get damaged by perhaps rubbing into a plastic decor I have in my QT. I have 3 blotched anthias and once in a while they chase each other - so very likely it did somehow damage it that way. The 3 fish were perfect and it's unfortunate as I am almost done with the copper treatment of 6 weeks. I will say that I try not to net fish if at all possible!

I will look up the Maracyn option, but also worried about continious medication now that I started the fish recover M. I feel that it may stress fish out even more but perhaps I can stop the fish recover M as I just started yesterday and pick up Maracyn.

Thanks!

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, just had a chance to take a pic of the anthias. Somewhat difficult to see, but did circle the eye with the problem. The fish has been this way for a few days but still alive. Please let me know your thoughts. not eating either.

Attachments

• 20210213_182748.jpg
    20210213_182748.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 106

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to see, but that does look very severe. The fish not feeding also points to that...many times, these anthias will still feed, even with one eye affected. Maracyn 1 is the only suggestion I have, and then, it may well be that these issues either resolve on their own, or they don't despite any treatment I might suggest.

Barotrauma (eyes and or swim bladder issues) are just so common in deep water anthias....

Jay

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay, checked on fish this morning and moving around a bit more ... so that is some good news, but will take your advise and pick up Maracyn. I do need some clarification as I called my LFS and they only have Maracyn Oxy?? is this the same as Maracyn 1 as you recommend? even when I search for Maracyn, I get hits on Oxy and 2. Let me know as I will pick up today to start treating ASAP.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maracyn Oxy is a different drug, Maracyn 1 is the antibiotic Erythromycin, that is what you need. API EM is also Erythromycin.

Jay

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Jay. I was able to pick up Maracyn today. The decision I need to make now is do I finish treating with fish recover M for the next 3 days or do a 20% water change and start medicating with Maracyn. Any thoughts? I don't know if I should be mixing the two meds. I also think I see the fish eating a bit, which just started so perhaps fish recover is working or maybe just getting better on it's own. I will be so dang happy if I save this fish! for one it's an expensive fish and it was doing so good before getting this popeye.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I can't advise you about the Fish Recover, as Brightwell does not disclose the ingredients. My assumption it is one of the botanical extracts, tea tree or melaleuca. Personally, I won't add anything to my tank that doesn't list the ingredients. Please understand that all dosing of antibiotics in aquariums is simply a guess - none of us can do antibiotic sensitivity studies prior to treatment. The Erythromycin just seems to have a good track record in cases like this.
One other thing - monitor your ammonia level when dosing with antibiotics, in case the beneficial bacteria are impacted.

Jay

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maracyn Oxy is a different drug, Maracyn 1 is the antibiotic Erythromycin, that is what you need. API EM is also Erythromycin.

Jay
I know that this is unorthodox, but is there a therapeutic dose of chemiclean for this type of treatment? None of my fish are afflicted, but if one of them comes down with it, I'll be unable to get any type of medicine here.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That product is apparently erythromycin, but I don't think they disclose the dose. I've used erythromycin bulk powder at 12.5 mg/gallon, but I don't know how that would convert....

Jay

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, I wanted to post an update on my blotched anthias. I am happy to say that from the looks of it, it's nearly 90% recovered. I have to thank you for turning me onto Maracyn as I think that really helped here ... I did complete the treatment of the fish recover as recommended, then I did a 25% water change, added carbon and started the Maracyn for the full 5 day treatment. I am just curious if I should do another 5 day treatment as it has a very little popeye, but difficult to describe as it is different looking then before. Initially before any treatment the eye was huge and cloudy, now it is nearly as big and it's almost like a clear bubble over the eye. I just wonder if I should wait and maybe it will eventually go back down. Let me know your thoughts. I did attach a picture so you can see what I am talking about. Ohh ... one more thing to add, it is coming out now and eating good - it was not doing that at all before any treatment. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210222_214732.jpg
    20210222_214732.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 92

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not extend the treatment unless the cloudiness comes back, what you are seeing here is a gas bubble, it doesn’t look infected now. Hopefully the bubble will absorb, but just to forewarn you, they sometimes get worse.
Jay

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Jay. I guess I shouldn't get too excited yet :) so, just so I understand the gas bubble may get worse but it will eventually go down? or is there something else I should consider doing - maybe another type of med? I think it is getting maybe a bit worse, but fish seems to come out way more then it did before and eating too.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Jay. I guess I shouldn't get too excited yet :) so, just so I understand the gas bubble may get worse but it will eventually go down? or is there something else I should consider doing - maybe another type of med? I think it is getting maybe a bit worse, but fish seems to come out way more then it did before and eating too.
The gas bubbles, in the absence of any redness or cloudiness, are usually caused by mechanical trauma, and therefore there isn't any medication to use on them. Years ago, I built a pressure chamber and I would take the fish to 28 psi. The bubbles would go away, but when I bled off the pressure, they would just return.

Jay

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, so the fish will always have it and will be fine?

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stupid question, but perhaps lancing the eye is an option? the bubble getting worse - no doubt, but fish eating. I am wondering as I have the trio and other 2 almost done in QT that I should now put all 3 into the DT. Asking this as I can tell you that it would be impossible to catch fish once in DT. Maybe not impossible but a pain in the butt :). one of my most hated part in this hobby is catching fish. lol

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stupid question, but perhaps lancing the eye is an option? the bubble getting worse - no doubt, but fish eating. I am wondering as I have the trio and other 2 almost done in QT that I should now put all 3 into the DT. Asking this as I can tell you that it would be impossible to catch fish once in DT. Maybe not impossible but a pain in the butt :). one of my most hated part in this hobby is catching fish. lol
I know, I have been down that road so many times! The bubbles look so "popable". Every time I have done that, (over 40 years) the eye looks fine, but then the issue returns the next day. The extra handling just increases the chances of more damage. Enucleation works - removing the entire eye (under anesthesia) but then, you have a one-eyed fish.
Leaving it along may not work either, but I have seen fish recover when left alone, I have never had one recover when I lanced the bubbles and tried to draw the gas off with a syringe....

Jay

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay, so far you have been right on with everything :). including that even though the cloudy eyes are cured, it will still remain with a bubble and get bigger - which it did for sure. If I knew how to give anesthesia, perhaps I would try removing the eye and play doctor, but think I will leave it alone for now. I don't mind a one eyes fish, I already have a dog with one eye. lol

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back