Population boom copepod

Lady of Babylon

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 27, 2021
Messages
99
Reaction score
112
Location
dublin/ east bay
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had set up a 20 gallon to raise macro algae, phytoplankton, and breed various ornamental shrimp and feeder species... I kinda forgot about it for a few months while my main tank was in trouble. Now that the big tank has been pretty steady for over a month I got some macro algae to pick up where I left off. The water was super cloudy a few days after I put in all of my macro algae. No oder, but you definitely couldn’t see past 3” it was so cloudy. Some hermits and a starfish seemed to be doing just fine in the water. Perimeters were good. So I did a 50% water change thinking something had gone sideways that I couldn’t test for... after refilling the tank I figured out what made it so cloudy.... it appears the the cloudiness is a copepod population boom! Should I do anything about this? Or will they boom and bust without messing with the tanks parameters?
B0A46CC3-5300-41BE-BEE1-F49FBF554799.jpeg
5D02930F-C83E-4153-8343-5D8E2629C472.jpeg
 
It’s most likely a bacterial bloom. It should clear up on its own in a few days if that’s what it is. You could temporarily try to increase oxygenation as the bacteria will deplete it more than normal.
 
I thought it was a bacterial boom too... but all those little white dots and clouds... those are moving! I wish the videos showed up. I forget how to do the really backwards trick to see videos. Here is a closeup.
72709092-3E86-4A4E-851C-98B6E4886FE9.jpeg


It’s most likely a bacterial bloom. It should clear up on its own in a few days if that’s what it is. You could temporarily try to increase oxygenation as the bacteria will deplete it more than normal.
 
I thought it was a bacterial boom too... but all those little white dots and clouds... those are moving! I wish the videos showed up. I forget how to do the really backwards trick to see videos.
If there are that many, harvest some and add them to your dt.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new