Population boom copepod

Lady of Babylon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had set up a 20 gallon to raise macro algae, phytoplankton, and breed various ornamental shrimp and feeder species... I kinda forgot about it for a few months while my main tank was in trouble. Now that the big tank has been pretty steady for over a month I got some macro algae to pick up where I left off. The water was super cloudy a few days after I put in all of my macro algae. No oder, but you definitely couldn’t see past 3” it was so cloudy. Some hermits and a starfish seemed to be doing just fine in the water. Perimeters were good. So I did a 50% water change thinking something had gone sideways that I couldn’t test for... after refilling the tank I figured out what made it so cloudy.... it appears the the cloudiness is a copepod population boom! Should I do anything about this? Or will they boom and bust without messing with the tanks parameters?
B0A46CC3-5300-41BE-BEE1-F49FBF554799.jpeg
5D02930F-C83E-4153-8343-5D8E2629C472.jpeg

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s most likely a bacterial bloom. It should clear up on its own in a few days if that’s what it is. You could temporarily try to increase oxygenation as the bacteria will deplete it more than normal.

OP
OP
Lady of Babylon

Lady of Babylon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was a bacterial boom too... but all those little white dots and clouds... those are moving! I wish the videos showed up. I forget how to do the really backwards trick to see videos. Here is a closeup.
72709092-3E86-4A4E-851C-98B6E4886FE9.jpeg

It’s most likely a bacterial bloom. It should clear up on its own in a few days if that’s what it is. You could temporarily try to increase oxygenation as the bacteria will deplete it more than normal.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was a bacterial boom too... but all those little white dots and clouds... those are moving! I wish the videos showed up. I forget how to do the really backwards trick to see videos.
If there are that many, harvest some and add them to your dt.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 40.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back