Porcupine Puffer cloudy eyes

JDapper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a porcupine puffer on Monday so about 4 days ago and as I was acclimating him my heater over heated the water for some reason and still don’t know why and the container he was in got up to 84 degrees so I slowly brought the temp back down to what my tank temp is and then added him in because he was acclimating for a good 2 hours or more. The next day I noticed his eyes were cloudy and sitting at the bottom in a cave and wouldn’t move much and he has been moving a little bit the last couple days but today he is out swimming around and eyes are still cloudy. What can I do to help him and hopefully keep him alive and get him better?

“I don’t have room to quarantine at the moment but once I move I will be setting up a quarantine tank.”

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a porcupine puffer on Monday so about 4 days ago and as I was acclimating him my heater over heated the water for some reason and still don’t know why and the container he was in got up to 84 degrees so I slowly brought the temp back down to what my tank temp is and then added him in because he was acclimating for a good 2 hours or more. The next day I noticed his eyes were cloudy and sitting at the bottom in a cave and wouldn’t move much and he has been moving a little bit the last couple days but today he is out swimming around and eyes are still cloudy. What can I do to help him and hopefully keep him alive and get him better?

“I don’t have room to quarantine at the moment but once I move I will be setting up a quarantine tank.”

84 degrees F won't harm this species at all. Even a rise and drop won't be a huge issue. I think you need to look towards other causes.

Porcupine fish do have natural eye sheen that some people confuse with cloudiness. Can you post a video under white lights?

If both of the fish's eyes are white/opaque cloudy, that can be a result of bacterial disease, ich or even flukes.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back