Porites a gonner?

  • Thread starter Thread starter cloggins
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

cloggins

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 16, 2016
Messages
156
Reaction score
137
Location
Dallas
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this thing done for? This coral hasn't had the best of luck. My QT tank had a nasty bloom. I was going to give up on the frag, but decided to move it to my DT. It looks like it's not doing much to me. I haven't seen polyps ever. But, nothing is growing on it (no cyano, algae, etc.). That makes me think it's still hanging on, and I just have to wait for it to acclimate to better conditions.

Thoughts?

(Sorry for the crappy pic.)

20200116_192506.jpg
 
def still alive. for me porites have been pretty bomb-proof surviving multiple tank crashs. the thing can bounce back from nothing and in a few weeks look like normal again.
 
def still alive. for me porites have been pretty bomb-proof surviving multiple tank crashs. the thing can bounce back from nothing and in a few weeks look like normal again.

Yea green branching porites have been the same way for me. I had a colony for 10 years and it was the only thing that lived through two bad periods. I nursed it back to health and sold it to my friend who has a shop last year. I went by there last week and it was still there, half dead and barely hanging on but still alive! They certainly didn’t treat it well... suprised no one grabbed it, but I guess it’s pretty common. Looks amazing in high light when the tips turn yellow.
 
Nitrates: 5ppm, Phosphates: .03ppm. Where it's at, it should be getting 220-250 par.
my porites seems to like a bit lower par. If its been acclimated it may be able to handle a bit more, but you could try giving it 150 and seeing how that effects polyp extension
 
Yea green branching porites have been the same way for me. I had a colony for 10 years and it was the only thing that lived through two bad periods. I nursed it back to health and sold it to my friend who has a shop last year. I went by there last week and it was still there, half dead and barely hanging on but still alive! They certainly didn’t treat it well... suprised no one grabbed it, but I guess it’s pretty common. Looks amazing in high light when the tips turn yellow.
Mine is an all yellow variety

image.jpg
 
Yea same thing I had, I think people call green or greenish yellow corals a yellow coral a lot easier than we used to.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.3%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new