Porites - share your knowledge and photos

Hellsinki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
por.JPG
This is a coral that doesn't seem to get much attention.

I picked this piece up a week, or so ago and it wasn't looking to hot at the LFS. Now it has a more uniform pale green color and has shown significantly better polyp extension. I have it in a relatively high flow and light position in the tank.

I'd like to see some Porites action here.

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this one for many years, originated at my LFS. In my experience, it will do well with normal SPS parameters. It prefers lower light, but can be acclimated to higher light. It does well way up high against the back as in this picture , or just as well partially shaded.

Poritesc7-26-14Large_zps30b400b3.jpg

Porites7-26-14Large_zpsb5b92f8b.jpg

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this one for many years, originated at my LFS. In my experience, it will do well with normal SPS parameters. It prefers lower light, but can be acclimated to higher light. It does well way up high against the back as in this picture , or just as well partially shaded.

Slow growing for me. Mine is set up pretty high in lots of light but it's placed "sideways" and encrusting on a branching rock growing vertically. The picture is a close up that is shot through the front glass of the tank. As a side note, I just fragged the tip of this darth maul porite ( after the picture was taken) and placed it on a rock just above the sand, curious to see color and growth with less light.

I assume porites aren't seen much because of the slow growth rate and in terms of encrusting corals, the colorful and fast growing option of montis may be preferable for many. I don't know anything about how porites do in combat against acros in turf warfare.

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've had a heck of a time with this one too. I know Zack/Nanofins/TDF did great with it, but I can't seem to match his color or growth rate for the life of me.

Slow growing for me. Mine is set up pretty high in lots of light but it's placed "sideways" and encrusting on a branching rock growing vertically. The picture is a close up that is shot through the front glass of the tank. As a side note, I just fragged the tip of this darth maul porite ( after the picture was taken) and placed it on a rock just above the sand, curious to see color and growth with less light.

I assume porites aren't seen much because of the slow growth rate and in terms of encrusting corals, the colorful and fast growing option of montis may be preferable for many. I don't know anything about how porites do in combat against acros in turf warfare.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tim, they hate high light..........even medium levels bleach them. When I was keeping Dan's frag I had to put it under my frag rack so it was shaded.

When I was at Dan's his colony looked awesome and the par level he had it at was under 100.

Like watchguy's piece, I would definitely mount it so it sits sideways to the light

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the day there used to be a debate wether or not sunset montipora was a porites. To my knowledge it's still up in the air. (Useless but important information)

IMG_1965_zpsab9ybqes.jpg

Last edited:

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 13.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 47 46.1%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back