Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Anybody know if 16 gauge 1" Square steel tubing is enough strength? I was planning on a Box frame with diagonals to prevent racking.

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up the tank last night! WOOT it is gorgeous!!! Pictures to come later, it is still in the Jeep. :( It is however, neat to see a 36x24 without a center brace, it looks VERY open.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, looking forward to pics.

Sorry I'm kinda late on the subject but as far as steel thickness goes I reccomended 1/8" which is about 11 gauge. HTH

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let's go man! Pics!

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, flip flop alert... I realized that MOST of the brushed Aluminum that we had in our living room, is gone. Now, I have mostly khaki leather and wood. I think the wood will finish up really nice and match what I have.

Just back from the lumber yard, I decided to go DIY on the stand. I bought 70 feet of Cedar 1x4 lumber. I plan on doubling up so it it will be in effect 2x4 when I am done with it.

Now, if the rain would stop.

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.... 32" or 36" tall on the stand?

The tank is 22" tall, so the top rim would either be at 54" or at 58". Even though I am 6' 2" I am leaning towards 32" tall stand. What do you think?

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you do most of your viewing from a sitting or standing position?

32 for sitting
36 for standing

I went 36 cause my skimmer is huge but I think I would have gone shorter otherwise.

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank will only be about 8' away to my left while seated on the couch. There is a 50B reptile cage in that spot right now, and it is about 30" tall stand, I know I want a little taller then it is.

The skimmer will be in the basement, so that doesn't really matter. :D

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your viewing from the sofa go 32 for sure. 36 looks taller than you think by the time its all set up.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer will be in the basement, so that doesn't really matter. :D

AZ=no basements, I always forget about that. Im jelious too. LOL

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
32 it is! I am going thru the pictures I took now, will load them up and post them post haste!

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here they are....

I only have ONE Picture of the actual tank, it is still in the Jeep. To be honest that is as good as any place until I have a spot to put it.

The Starphire panel is the one farthest away in this picture.

Okay, on to the stand construction!

70 Feet of 1x4 Cedar. My circular saw is also in the picture, but I didn't use it at all during construction.

Same 70 feet in the basement, darn rain wouldn't quit. I had to spend an hour or so cleaning the basement before I was able to get started. The kids had taken over the space that used to be mine, was theirs, and is now mine again! :D You can also see the 12" Compound Mitre saw, that beast made it like butter!

You can see the "rough" side of the Cedar here, when I saw this in the lumber shop, I thought immediately how STRONG the glue joint would be if I put the rough sides together with glue and screws. In effect I was able to create my own 2x4's with this Cedar.

These are 2 rails, front and back, top and bottom, all the same. These rails are the only pieces that both pieces are the same length. I had them glued, screwed, and clamped at this point to allow the glue to dry for a while.

A close up of how I planned to put all the pieces together. All the rails rest on wood, which extends to the floor. There are no joints that are supported by screws only.

Here are all the pieces, ready for final assembly. Kinda like a jigsaw puzzle.

One of the corners. At this point, they are NOT attached. The stand is not complete even now, as I need some longer screws. (I'll get them tomorrow) In this picture and the next, the stand is sitting as it will when it is finished, but there are no screws or glue holding it together! :D

Final picture of the night, rough completion of the stand, again not attached, just all the pieces placed together.

Now on to the important question, STAIN IT, or PAINT IT?

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mike you're making quick work of the stand! Is it too late to suggest 36"? LOL!

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike you're making quick work of the stand! Is it too late to suggest 36"? LOL!

Thanks Rev!

Ya, just a bit late on the 36. That would have made the top rim of the tank level with my arm pit.... I wanted a bit more room to work/reach, without having to get a stool.

At this point, for lighting, I am bouncing back and forth between a single Radion from Eco-tech or a 24" DIY fixture. I know the Radion will not cover the entire footprint, but it will let me put aquascape for SPS under the light, and then have lots of room for chalices around the outside edge.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 14.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 41 43.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back