Possibility of a mobile app?

Would a app be more convenient?

• Total voters

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like a mobile app and I am pretty sure this forum is big enough to make one... Would anyone else like an app? Yes you can open your browser and open R2R but it isn't super easy to navigate imo and not as easy as an app. Just a thought...

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I read somewhere semi recently that there is development on one already, not sure if that is accurate or not so maybe #MODS can shed some light on it.
Oh really? I guess because I don't have an app to send me updates like that I wouldn't know :p

JK Mods ;)

(would be nice though :))

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been in IT a long time, worked for some of the largest software companies, backbone providers, mercenary shops and plenty of other outfits, so I’ve seen some things.

development, maintenance, updates and the like all cost money, and unless you are doing it in house with a dedicated team (if the project is large enough) or one that splits it’s time amongst different projects, it can cost A LOT of money.

where does that money come from? There are typically 3 options: 1. Users pay for the service or app. This used to be one time purchases of a license however most places have gotten greedy and gone with the subscription model. 2. From advertisers. 3. From collecting and selling user data. Honestly, 2 & 3 are fairly close in relation but 2 (usually) provides data to target individuals whereas 3 typically sells its wholesale.

“If you aren’t paying for the product, you are the product.”

The point I am making is that this could be done and done well but as a community it’s up to us to decide how we want to cover those costs.

Personally I would prefer a small one time purchase compared to the other options. If the product provides real value that shouldn’t be a hard sell.

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been in IT a long time, worked for some of the largest software companies, backbone providers, mercenary shops and plenty of other outfits, so I’ve seen some things.

development, maintenance, updates and the like all cost money, and unless you are doing it in house with a dedicated team (if the project is large enough) or one that splits it’s time amongst different projects, it can cost A LOT of money.

where does that money come from? There are typically 3 options: 1. Users pay for the service or app. This used to be one time purchases of a license however most places have gotten greedy and gone with the subscription model. 2. From advertisers. 3. From collecting and selling user data. Honestly, 2 & 3 are fairly close in relation but 2 (usually) provides data to target individuals whereas 3 typically sells its wholesale.

“If you aren’t paying for the product, you are the product.”

The point I am making is that this could be done and done well but as a community it’s up to us to decide how we want to cover those costs.

Personally I would prefer a small one time purchase compared to the other options. If the product provides real value that shouldn’t be a hard sell.
I would honestly pay for an app but I think R2R "makes" enought money through sponsors and members paying for whatever it is they call their subscription that they could afford one but I don't know the first thing about how R2R is run and how much it actually cost to run and maintain an app so I might be wrong idk

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like a mobile app and I am pretty sure this forum is big enough to make one... Would anyone else like an app? Yes you can open your browser and open R2R but it isn't super easy to navigate imo and not as easy as an app. Just a thought...
There is an app in the works. ETA is still to be determined. There was an app through Taptalk a while back but the site owner discontinued it after he was informed that Taptalk was taking users info and selling it.

Angelwolf21203

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a shortcut to my home page on my phone's home screen. Only problem with that, is that every time I use it, it opens up a new chrome tab. Before too long, I have 40-50 tabs open and things start to slow down. An app would be great! And yes, it is something I would be willing to purchase.

reefshawn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this thread to see if there are any updates.

The website text editor for new posts is not a fun experience on iOS. An app would be lovely. I’m already a paying member and wouldn’t mind paying more for this.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back