Possible dinoflagellates

Bp870

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys think i might be dealing with dino possible id and any input on clearing up is greatly appreciated

A766B6B8-936B-40C9-9F16-75E594A1AAC7.jpeg

OP
OP
B

Bp870

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrients were at .25ppm phosphate and 10ppm nitrate. Thats with a api test kit i dont have alot of confidence in at this point. There seems to be a strange smell with that stuff too. I was wondering if it could be some kind of cyano because it didn’t seem to break up when i put it in a container and shook it. Got most of it cleaned out i think and went lights out hopefully that will get it.

OP
OP
B

Bp870

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked nutrients got 0 phosphate and 0 nitrate. Does anyone know if dino or cyano put off an odor

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+3. Dino usually have those bubbles intermingled in it. Never really smelled straight from tank. The skimmer smells extra funky pulling out the extra junk.

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think im fighting them now... they are a pain in the as$

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe this is an emergency. By the looks of your rock the tank isn't very old.
Low nutrients are more than likely the culprit.

What livestock do you have?
How often an how much do you feed?
What equipment do you have?

honestly, this can be dealt with in a calm, reasonable manner rather quickly.

OP
OP
B

Bp870

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if i posted in the wrong place didnt really know where it should be. I have hermit crabs 2 tronchus snails 5 pacific nerites 5 Nassarius snails a red tuxedo urchin. Its been running since march the 28. Have an icecap k1 skimmer in sump roughly 3 gallon refugium in middle chamber of sump with cheato that looks terrible. Dont feed that much just frozen mysis for crabs. Started feeding a little more to get nutrients up to see if that helps.

OP
OP
B

Bp870

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open for any suggestions or input that may keep it from coming back. Thanks for any help

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the chaeto out. It’s stripping nutrients from your water trying to keep itself alive. Once you have a nutrient issue of being to high, then reintroduce it.

OP
OP
B

Bp870

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok it looks like its barely hanging on anyway and yesterday was the only day i tested 0 for nitrate and phosphate if that is any help. Always had low phosphate but nitrates have been around 5ppm. Could be my error with the test kit to though not to sure.

scubasteve020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dino’s looks like new tank. Did you already have your first diatom bloom ? When I had Dino’s they were more hair like string and did a three day lights out with water change and changed carbon in my media reactor. After three day lights out all Dino’s died off.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok it looks like its barely hanging on anyway and yesterday was the only day i tested 0 for nitrate and phosphate if that is any help. Always had low phosphate but nitrates have been around 5ppm. Could be my error with the test kit to though not to sure.
Cool. Do you have any fish in there? Adding a fish is the easiest way to add some nutrients to your water; I struggled with dinos months 2-4 in my 90gal. Adding a fish finally got them to go away and made my nitrate and phosphate above 10 and .03

OP
OP
B

Bp870

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fish right now hoping to get time to go get some in the next couple weeks what do you think about dosing phyto think it would be good or bad i do have a pink birdnest frag and 4 zoa polyps seem to be doing good.

OP
OP
B

Bp870

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dino’s looks like new tank. Did you already have your first diatom bloom ? When I had Dino’s they were more hair like string and did a three day lights out with water change and changed carbon in my media reactor. After three day lights out all Dino’s died off.
I did have a diatom bloom they cleared up and everything looked good. I decided to redo my sump thats when this stuff showed up thought it was diatoms again but maybe the big water changed got the nutrients to low.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 146 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back