Possible Divorce Frag Build

Current State:

In process of tearing down all tanks and putting things in tanks in the house.

One tank down and one to go.

IMG_7678.JPG

Last edited:

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I'm that 2 finger typer F level guy that has thrown a lap top and phone or 2 in the dirt and ran over a cpl times.
If you build an excel sheet I can play.
Wifes pretty good at building excel sheets and computers in general.
I'm still trying to figure out a way to fit them in the round peg in my old school toddler wood set hahahaha

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Steve I remember talking to you about ph and was curious exactly how your running your fuge lighting?
I'm running around 8.2 daytime but its dipping down to 7.9 at night.
I have my small ats with red lamp running on reverse light cycle. I'm wondering if I should put my sump1 ats and lamp on reverse light cycle as well.
Not sure how detrimental that kind of PH swing really is considering its pretty inline with nsw ph swings I guess.
Whats your thoughts on it?

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Steve I remember talking to you about ph and was curious exactly how your running your fuge lighting?
I'm running around 8.2 daytime but its dipping down to 7.9 at night.
I have my small ats with red lamp running on reverse light cycle. I'm wondering if I should put my sump1 ats and lamp on reverse light cycle as well.
Not sure how detrimental that kind of PH swing really is considering its pretty inline with nsw ph swings I guess.
Whats your thoughts on it?
I run my tank 12 hours and then the fuge 11 hours. 30 minutes rest in between the cycles. The ph only changes by about .1 or so from day to night. The macro tank is the same way. Top part is day and all of the fern and grape caulerpa in the sump get lit up overnight. Ph varies by about .3 in that tank, but it is all macro, so no issues.

Also, 8.2 to 7.9 isn’t bad.l at all. Doing a reverse light cycle may reduce it some and it is worth a shot.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my tank 12 hours and then the fuge 11 hours. 30 minutes rest in between the cycles. The ph only changes by about .1 or so from day to night. The macro tank is the same way. Top part is day and all of the fern and grape caulerpa in the sump get lit up overnight. Ph varies by about .3 in that tank, but it is all macro, so no issues.

Also, 8.2 to 7.9 isn’t bad.l at all. Doing a reverse light cycle may reduce it some and it is worth a shot.
10 4 I didn't think it was too bad. I think I will run reverse cycle on sump1 lamp and see what it does. I guess I really should start checking alk while I'm at it.
Think I read a paper of Randy's that said Ph of 8.0-8.2 is optimal. But there was alot of stuff about calcification issues at lower ph and im not sure if my shrooms are really using calcium.
It will be interesting to see what coraline does I suppose.
Hows your magnesium and calcium levels in your nem tanks and where are you finding your macros like it?

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 4 I didn't think it was too bad. I think I will run reverse cycle on sump1 lamp and see what it does. I guess I really should start checking alk while I'm at it.
Think I read a paper of Randy's that said Ph of 8.0-8.2 is optimal. But there was alot of stuff about calcification issues at lower ph and im not sure if my shrooms are really using calcium.
It will be interesting to see what coraline does I suppose.
Hows your magnesium and calcium levels in your nem tanks and where are you finding your macros like it?
I keep my mag at about 1350-1400 and calcium at 450 in non macro tanks. Those are dosed, as it is consumed quickly.

The macro tank gets IO base numbers when mixed to 1.026. So 1250-1300 mag and 420-430 calcium. The coraline eats that and up slowly, but I do water changes on the macro tank to replenish some trace elements. Other elements come from CheatoGro. Still tweaking the dosing on that. I also dose pure ammonia and no3. As well a little skimmate here and there.

I try to keep nutrients around 10 and .1 in my mixed reefs and then around 5 and .03 in the macro tank. If numbers stay there for the macro tank, almost no gha grows.

All tanks stay at 9 for alk and besides nutrients are very close everywhere else for parameters.

Never know when an issue will occur and you have to move everything to another tank in a hurry. Thanks merten that decided to push a guard off the gyre lol.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my mag at about 1350-1400 and calcium at 450 in non macro tanks. Those are dosed, as it is consumed quickly.

The macro tank gets IO base numbers when mixed to 1.026. So 1250-1300 mag and 420-430 calcium. The coraline eats that and up slowly, but I do water changes on the macro tank to replenish some trace elements. Other elements come from CheatoGro. Still tweaking the dosing on that. I also dose pure ammonia and no3. As well a little skimmate here and there.

I try to keep nutrients around 10 and .1 in my mixed reefs and then around 5 and .03 in the macro tank. If numbers stay there for the macro tank, almost no gha grows.

All tanks stay at 9 for alk and besides nutrients are very close everywhere else for parameters.

Never know when an issue will occur and you have to move everything to another tank in a hurry. Thanks merten that decided to push a guard off the gyre lol.
Thanks man! Have to do some clean up and water change today. I'm going to check everything. Ive had ats set up for awhile now. I really should see what things are doing nowadays and be on top of it when I throw some macro in.

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I'm that 2 finger typer F level guy that has thrown a lap top and phone or 2 in the dirt and ran over a cpl times.
If you build an excel sheet I can play.
Wifes pretty good at building excel sheets and computers in general.
I'm still trying to figure out a way to fit them in the round peg in my old school toddler wood set hahahaha
I so identify with this! Technology and I are NOT friends! ;Hilarious

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I so identify with this! Technology and I are NOT friends! ;Hilarious
Lol my old sr vp would literally video call me while he 2 finger typed out emails for guidance. Picture 2 cavemen trying to start fire with wet matches haha. It took us half hour to get through emails because he would delete the whole thing when he spelled something wrong he would be bright red with usually spit and druel by the end of them. Funny stuff

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, got the lights finished, hung up, programmed the frag tank lights via some jury rigging an old WiFi light driver to both of them, macro are on timers and dimmers since the internal timers on them were shot, got the mini cheato reactor built and going, got an old black box light that only the blue work over the sump and rocks and all that’s left is some rearranging/cleanup. Well, have to make the T5 setup still, but that is not for tonight.

Mini cheato reactor is there so I can feed a little more. Will just set the light cycle to match wait I need in reduction.

Blue light over sump is to hopefully get coralline all over the rocks lol.

Getting there though.
CD2FB18F-7F8D-4407-8EAE-2ABC0EC75D6D.jpeg

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be, but i have had spawns nowhere near a full moon, so no clue lol. I am almost to the point of just letting things be and stop noting it lol. Tons of notes and the only thing left to do is a board with notes and strings like in those movies with people obsessed with something. Wife would think I am crazy then. Well more crazy than usual.
Always Sunny Fx GIF

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. What's that piece of kit to the left of your inkbird controller on the bottom pic?

And what size simplicity pump are you running? I just bought the 1600 and I think I have less flow through my something now at full nuts.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. What's that piece of kit to the left of your inkbird controller on the bottom pic?

And what size simplicity pump are you running? I just bought the 1600 and I think I have less flow through my something now at full nuts.
To the left of the inkbird is a jebao doser with bubble magnus heads and drivers. Took 2 and made one lol.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the left of the inkbird is a jebao doser with bubble magnus heads and drivers. Took 2 and made one lol.
Oops lol. The simplicity is a 3200. I have another one on the macro tank. It is a 3200 as well.

The frag is at 10%
The macro is at 50%

I do have a 1600 I may put on the frag, as the 3200 is a beast with only 4 feet of head pressure.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops lol. The simplicity is a 3200. I have another one on the macro tank. It is a 3200 as well.

The frag is at 10%
The macro is at 50%

I do have a 1600 I may put on the frag, as the 3200 is a beast with only 4 feet of head pressure.
Weird. I'm thinking there may be something wrong with the my 1600. At full tilt and 4.5' head, I barely feel any flow coming from my returns and flow through the sump is really, REALLY slow.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird. I'm thinking there may be something wrong with the my 1600. At full tilt and 4.5' head, I barely feel any flow coming from my returns and flow through the sump is really, REALLY slow.
Have you taken it apart and cleaned it? Also check for a leak at the gasket where the return line connects to the pump. If it has the slightest tear or isn’t seated correctly they won’t flow for crap.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you taken it apart and cleaned it? Also check for a leak at the gasket where the return line connects to the pump. If it has the slightest tear or isn’t seated correctly they won’t flow for crap.
I bought and installed it bit over a week ago. I did a good inspection of it before getting it wet. I suppose I need to take it apart to ensure the gasket is seated properly.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back