Possible grafted valida tricolor pics

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i was able to snap some pics for you guys. No need to argue the true definition of grafting as im well aware. Anyone seen something like this in a tricolor? It seems to be the same as ny other grafted acropora or what we call grafted acropora. What y'all think?

20190125_000135.jpg

20190125_000140.jpg

20190125_000207.jpg

20190125_000241.jpg

20190125_000247.jpg

20190125_000253.jpg

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not post these photos in your other thread where the main discussion was happening?

OP
OP
W

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because people couldn't keep it on topic and after 30 replies i didn't want pictures of what I'm trying to figure out getting lost behind a bunch of irrelevant posts.

OP
OP
W

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok posted them in that thread too just hoping they're seen even though they're way down in the discussion in the other thread.

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though they are way down in the discussion thread, every single one of us gets a notification saying that you made a new post, and you could also edit your first post to include the picture. I’m just giving you pointers. im Sure all of those people would like to see what you were explaining.

OP
OP
W

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. How can i edit first post i made to include pics? What do you think about the tricolor? Do you think it's what we would refer to as a "graft"?

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because people couldn't keep it on topic and after 30 replies i didn't want pictures of what I'm trying to figure out getting lost behind a bunch of irrelevant posts.

I totally get your point, and I hope I’m not coming off rude, because that’s not what I intend, but you’re going to get the same debate here if you put grafted in your title. Maybe avoid the word grafted, if you don’t want people to discuss the definition. Again, I hope this isn’t coming off rude, But the same debate will occur.

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. How can i edit first post i made to include pics? What do you think about the tricolor? Do you think it's what we would refer to as a "graft"?

If you go into advanced settings, you can change everything. Also, I don’t think you want me to answer that last part of your question, because that’s going to start the same debate that you just said you want to avoid.

OP
OP
W

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not coming off as rude. Simply going by what we refer to as grafted sps...grafted simplex acropora, grafted monti cap, grafted setosa, battlecorals grafted hungs etc. Do you think I'm getting the same thing here with my valida? Basically picking up up green florescent protein from something else in my tank or just a mutation from lights parameters ect?

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think it’s more of a color shift based upon your lights. Possibly the addition of UV from your LEDs? It’s hard to say, but different colors really pop with that coral, depending on different spectrums. I have kept that Coral under metal halide’s, and it looks completely different than when it’s under LEDs.

OP
OP
W

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its totally possible but it has been grown under the same spectrum and light setup for 2 years. It's been in this tank for a year this month but i have the exact same light setup running the same bulbs schedule leds ect on both tanks. So would it take that long to change?

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, this is a common color for this coral to have. The original Tri-color from ORA had yellowish/green tips. I would point towards lighting, but of course there are other factors. Nutrients, coral maturity.. lots of corals need time, maybe a few years to show their full color potential.

OP
OP
W

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And of course it isn't the tips. It goes 2" down into the branches so far and if you look at the pics its swirrled almost like tie dye. It looks like every other grafted acro out there.

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I don't believe this is grafting from flouro protein transfer. It is possible though.

The ORA tricolor will get those green tips. I agree yours looks odd/different, but I think it is a result of some condition/parameter that makes the green tip color "bleed" more into the body tissue color.

As to "grafting" as a term, I work in the horticulture industry and I have always taken "grafting" in the sense of coral aquaculture to be a totally different concept as grafting in the hort industry.

Grafted trees are generally a cut shoot fused onto a different rootstock. This is done for cold-hardiness of citrus trees and many other applications.

Grafting of corals is introducing zooxanthellae from one coral into the tissue of another. We can't simply graft one coral "onto" the other like with trees because the symbiotic dinos that are the zoox are intermixing and interacting/competing until they stabilize within the cytoplasm of the corals' tissue. Thus we end up with spots, swirls, strange markings, etc. where the foreign zoox has stabilized within the host tissue. I've had this happen in my tank with orange Monti. cap. when Seriatopora polyp bailout caused green spots in the orange tissue.

I hold the position that yours is not "grafted" because it does not appear to be foreign zoox affecting the host tissue, but rather the host zoox performing in an unusual manner.

Just my thoughts and opinions....hope this helps!

-Ed

OP
OP
W

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Ed. Best answer so far. I guess time will tell. It's not like it's going anywhere. I'm thinking about cutting a frag and putting it in a friends tank to see if it shifts back or what happens.

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This frag picked up some green swirls and that bleeding look in the base. IMO it has something to do with blue LEDs, or maybe a bluer spectrum in general.
IMG_1357.JPG
This is the OG Tri-color from ORA.
image.php 2.jpeg

OP
OP
W

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes yours isn't quite like mine but i do see similarities. Mine is the og tricolor.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back