possible my leather coral is ticking evrybody off with toxins??

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have large toadstool that's 7 , 71/2 inches across . It's back in a corner out of trouble . this tank is 75 gallons total about 90. Before it was stinging other corals & I was running out of room to place it. So into timeout corner it went . Now it's tight back there , rubbing up against a rock & 1/3 is closed up most of the time, it's rubbing up against a rock . The other corals are just there living or growing very slowly. I consider my parameters stable & all. I can easily post these numbers if You would like . Just trying to eliminate any other factors that are holding these animals back. Thanks
here's a pic . it 's a lot bigger than it seems
HPIM9225.JPG

Last edited:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been Hearing more about this. I have a big leather need to find out more too

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll give a little back story. I purchased a few coral at an LFS that included a red planet acro and a toadstool leather. This about a year ago. Since then the leather thrived and the red planet frag stayed brown and never grew. Not considering toxins, I ignored the red planet and figured one day it would blossom. In that time I purchased a acro frag pack online and all those frags except for one myagi tort stn'd and died. The tort held on to 3 small polyps.

After pulling my hair out and going through parameters, coral toxin was my last resort. After some research, it was suggested that leathers can inhibit growth in some sps. So, I went ahead and removed it. Within a week my myagi tort started recovering and my red planet grew a couple centimeters and started turning green then red. Over all, I believe this was a good decision.

Now, I will say some SPS and acros were not affected by the leather. My stylos, montis, and a tri color valida showed no inhibited growth.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool ! Thank You, I have a 180 with fish only I want to put this toadstool in . However The alk is vastly different > I know it wouldn't kill the coral but it would not be happy at all .

William Norman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon system and I have not been able to move into LPS. I have finger leather, bulb anemone, discosoma mushrooms and Zoas. All LPS I put in the tank die. I am now running carbon full time to see if that will help. All my parms are good ranges. I keep on top of the testing and I have tested them multiple times with different local stores. One softie that has not done well in the tank is Paly. They curl up. I am now sending my water to a ICP Analysis to see if they see anything.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the run carbon 24/7 camp. I personally would never keep leathers without running it. I keep a variety of softies and lps in my tank without issue. I did keep sps once upon a time, but my blennies destroyed it :(. I would try running a high-quality carbon for several weeks straight and see if anything changes.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool ! Thank You, I have a 180 with fish only I want to put this toadstool in . However The alk is vastly different > I know it wouldn't kill the coral but it would not be happy at all .

Leathers are pretty tough. It might pout for a couple weeks but I bet it would get over it (as long as the alk is within reason for corals of course) and in a 180 it would have room to get big and beautiful.

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very interesting!
I purchased a toadstool about 6 weeks ago and had everything in my 50gl going fine.

Before I went on vacation 2 weeks ago, I noticed my clownfish trying to hoast the toadstool (paid no mind) and checked params before leaving.

12 days later, I returned home to 5 of 7 acan frags bleaching at random and dkh up .4 and CA -.10 from the last day I checked (before vaca). I also noticed a couple free floating toadstool green things free floating around the coral itself.

Birds nest, ultra blasto, flamethrower blasto, reg blasto, mummy eye, jack o lantern and hammers looking perfect.

I've been stumped as to what's going on and I believe this is the culprit!!

I just changed gfo and carbon rn, if acans start to come back, toadstool will be FS!

20180806_205723.jpg

20180806_205742.jpg

Last edited:

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 28.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 38 21.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 21 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 62 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back