possible my leather coral is ticking evrybody off with toxins??

YumaMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might leather coral toxins affect montipora? I am currently succeeding with stylophora, birdsnests, and easy acros, but a number of montis that did well in my smaller tank have slowly bleached and died. The back left corner of my 120g is my Monti Cemetery.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past 2 years my tank has become more and more softy dominated. I have a cabbage approaching dinner plate size, big sinularia, several toadstools that split every couple of months and kenya trees that produce up to 10 frags per week. I also have a few acros, other sps and lots of lps. While I have experienced slow growth in most sps they are indeed growing and maintaining colour just not at the pace I'd like. As for lps both meaty and encrusting I would say the leathers have 0 effect on them at all. Only sensitive corals appear to be inhibited at least from my experience, and some weird ones like birdsnest is growing very slow. I don't think the massive softy population has killed any corals other then stuff they have physically overgrown. Separated by inches is fine.

I would say only in extreme cases you have to worry about the toxins killing corals, moderate cases slowing down growth, and non sps mixed reef tanks not at all. I am starting to change my carbon more often as in the past I just ran it approximately once a month when I changed gfo. Now I'm changing it every 1-2 weeks however if you are in the 24/7 carbon camp you really need to be changing it every couple of days. Just because you are running it 24/7 doesn't mean anything once the carbon has been exhausted which usually happens very very fast. I may eventually get to the point where I change it every couple of days as an experiment but it will be a couple months before I get to that point as I'm not taking any chances shocking my system. This would also end up being very pricey as a permanent solution, especially if you are using high quality carbon such as rox .8.

coronarex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past 2 years my tank has become more and more softy dominated. I have a cabbage approaching dinner plate size, big sinularia, several toadstools that split every couple of months and kenya trees that produce up to 10 frags per week. I also have a few acros, other sps and lots of lps. While I have experienced slow growth in most sps they are indeed growing and maintaining colour just not at the pace I'd like. As for lps both meaty and encrusting I would say the leathers have 0 effect on them at all. Only sensitive corals appear to be inhibited at least from my experience, and some weird ones like birdsnest is growing very slow. I don't think the massive softy population has killed any corals other then stuff they have physically overgrown. Separated by inches is fine.

I would say only in extreme cases you have to worry about the toxins killing corals, moderate cases slowing down growth, and non sps mixed reef tanks not at all. I am starting to change my carbon more often as in the past I just ran it approximately once a month when I changed gfo. Now I'm changing it every 1-2 weeks however if you are in the 24/7 carbon camp you really need to be changing it every couple of days. Just because you are running it 24/7 doesn't mean anything once the carbon has been exhausted which usually happens very very fast. I may eventually get to the point where I change it every couple of days as an experiment but it will be a couple months before I get to that point as I'm not taking any chances shocking my system. This would also end up being very pricey as a permanent solution, especially if you are using high quality carbon such as rox .8.

Yea this is really cool. Great post Andrew. What kind of carbon are you using???

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea this is really cool. Great post Andrew. What kind of carbon are you using???

I just got a gallon of aquamax rox.8 I believe it's the same source as BRS who have been out of stock for a while. I'm just starting to use more as I mentioned so we'll see. Potentially you could use a lower cost one if you are changing every couple of days but I'd still stay away from the cheap stuff. One other thing I will mention is if I am fragging I will for sure switch the carbon then, however most of my softies actually self propagate so I just collect the frags. If you are cutting into leathers you should be more concerned then just on a day to day basis.

Here is a thread I started a couple weeks ago on the subject
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/can-i-increase-sps-growth-in-my-softy-dominated-system.425093/

Not much became of it, but there are some pictures of my tank and some highlighted corals that relate to possible toxins.

EHerbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixed reef featuring leathers and lps with just a couple of spa. All of which are in close proximity and have been doing well together for about three years. The sps are a recent addition. Toadstool toxins is news to me so I'm following as I have three of them.

20180715_140422.jpg

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixed reef featuring leathers and lps with just a couple of spa. All of which are in close proximity and have been doing well together for about three years. The sps are a recent addition. Toadstool toxins is news to me so I'm following as I have three of them.

20180715_140422.jpg

dang that is one packed tank! all under just one LED array? wow...

RobertN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the run carbon 24/7 camp. I personally would never keep leathers without running it. I keep a variety of softies and lps in my tank without issue. I did keep sps once upon a time, but my blennies destroyed it :(. I would try running a high-quality carbon for several weeks straight and see if anything changes.

Do you run it in a reactor or do you just have product that is already packaged in a bag? Also, how often do you change it? Thanks!

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run it in a reactor or do you just have product that is already packaged in a bag? Also, how often do you change it? Thanks!

I run rox .8 in a media bag in a “high flow” section of my sump. I change it out once a week. I’m not a huge fan of reactors for carbon. Largely unnecessary imo.

Dr.Xipoles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll give a little back story. I purchased a few coral at an LFS that included a red planet acro and a toadstool leather. This about a year ago. Since then the leather thrived and the red planet frag stayed brown and never grew. Not considering toxins, I ignored the red planet and figured one day it would blossom. In that time I purchased a acro frag pack online and all those frags except for one myagi tort stn'd and died. The tort held on to 3 small polyps.

After pulling my hair out and going through parameters, coral toxin was my last resort. After some research, it was suggested that leathers can inhibit growth in some sps. So, I went ahead and removed it. Within a week my myagi tort started recovering and my red planet grew a couple centimeters and started turning green then red. Over all, I believe this was a good decision.

Now, I will say some SPS and acros were not affected by the leather. My stylos, montis, and a tri color valida showed no inhibited growth.
Hmm, i never knew that could happen.

I have a very large finger leather, bigger than 2 hands, and quite a few sps frags, red planet and miyagi included, and they are doing fine. But i do run carbon so i guess that helps.

Dr.Xipoles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon system and I have not been able to move into LPS. I have finger leather, bulb anemone, discosoma mushrooms and Zoas. All LPS I put in the tank die. I am now running carbon full time to see if that will help. All my parms are good ranges. I keep on top of the testing and I have tested them multiple times with different local stores. One softie that has not done well in the tank is Paly. They curl up. I am now sending my water to a ICP Analysis to see if they see anything.
Do you think its a nutrient problem? I also have a mixed frag tank and the palys only do well when i feed heavy and the water is dirty, i mean brown dirty when doing a WC.

The parameters need to be good and the light needs to be specific cause my purple deaths change from purple to green to brown of the lighting or food is not perfect. They take months to color back to purple.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to a talk recently by my friend Bob Fenner , the corals lose thier ability to produce toxins the farther away from the original wild coral that was imported. So a third gen leather will produce less toxins than a wild import. It’s diet. Same as poison dart frogs.

Similar toxin reports are also common with gorgonians as well as leathers.

That’s likely why some folks have no problems and some do with the same coral.

For allepothy issues he reccomends chemipure over carbons. Keep in mind carbon in a reactor is more effective than a bag in the sump or hob.

Back