Can I increase SPS growth in my Softy dominated system?

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not to the extent I want but I'm going to try a few ideas and welcome any suggestions. First my tank and most of the acros in there :

ftsedit.jpg

IMG_8519.JPG

IMG_8524.JPG

I do get good colouration and they definitely grow somewhere between painfully slow and at acceptable. The green acro started as a single branch that was well encrusted to a frag plug May 2017ish. The purple and green acro was a fresh cut cheapo frag September 2017. The lighter green acro has only been in since April 2018 and seems to be doing pretty well. Maricultured did not do well in the tank.

I get fast pocillopora growth (who doesn't), yet I get painfully slow birdsnest growth, and montiporas are hit and miss. My cap is the only coral that is not doing well in my tank hard or soft corals. I do have a setosa that is doing well though. You can check out my build thread for further details but overall my tank is doing great. I have probably way too many giant softies particularly leather corals that are no doubt inhibiting growth. I do run this system closer to an sps system then a softy system and get good colouration so maybe it's possible to increase growth. I have a few ideas which I will highlight below:

First system parameters :7.7 dkh ca 430 mg 1410 no3 2-5ppm po4 0.13 - this is close to the highest my phosphate tests at usually not lower than 0.05. All the other parameters are stable long term. I carbon dose (diy nopox) and dose acropower twice a week in addition to daily alk/cal with magnesium as needed typically monthly or so. Once a week all corals are target fed variety of foods.

Increased carbon usage - Since I only use a single chamber reactor I typically just run carbon about once a month in addition to high capacity gfo. I actually have a dual reactor somewhere which I will probably bring online. I don't have a big problem with yellow water so I don't think increased carbon will shock anything but I'll go slow. Every 2 weeks then every week, perhaps going even further then that. I bought 1 gallon of rox for the experiment. If I see any improvement I'll continue otherwise I'll go back to occasional water polishing. Increased flow, I actually only have 2 powerheads + return. I've been meaning to get some form of gyre but to be honest I'm pretty happy with my flow pattern. Since it's a bare bottom tank I see where everything settles and a good chunk of that is in the corner. Jeabo rw 15 - 3950gph I have this on the second highest setting so 3500+ gph and a tunze 6065 at 1700 gph + return. Given that I have a lot of soft corals there is a low of movement in the tank with flow. Increased lighting. I have 2 kessil a360s and 1 a350. A 4th kessil would be ideal but I also have a black box between 2 of the 360s where the acros are. Adding more light might overall help the tank but I don't think adding more would help the acros unless I was adding considerably more which isn't really on the table.

Removal of the worst offenders. Of course I don't know what this is so I'd have to guess. Are there certain soft corals that are considerably more toxic then the rest? This is perhaps the easiest answer but I still love my soft corals too! Removing a lot of them would leave the tank pretty bare.

Cabbage coral approaching plate size - this piece actually split into 2 so I'm thinking about removing one, it may be the ideal first candidate. Kenya tree - this one is a source of frustration for me. I bought it originally due to some blue in the coral which is pretty unique. It drops 3-10 frags a week and I have about 100 frags of it in my frag tank + I'm starting to add them to a nano reef. The big rock in the corner has a few dozen branches and I could replace that. The big neon green leather. I'm actually not sure if this is nepthia or sinularia. Probably sinularia. This coral is really outgrowing the tank but it's a nice centerpiece coral so tough choice there. Finally toadstools. There are 3 or 4 neon toadstools in the tank. I can never get these guys to be bigger than my first. They will split and I usually remove the frags although occasionally I let them attach to the rock work thus I have more then one.

It's a bit of a long post, maybe someone will have some other ideas. Maybe I should just wait for my next tank to have more sps.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soft coral toxin warfare might be more of a myth than a reality. This is probably not the reason for any of your problems. If you are skimming, then the organics can get removed. GAC can also remove any organic and is an easy solution.. I would look other places like lighting.

OP
OP
andrewkw

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soft coral toxin warfare might be more of a myth than a reality. This is probably not the reason for any of your problems. If you are skimming, then the organics can get removed. GAC can also remove any organic and is an easy solution.. I would look other places like lighting.

Let me guess T5? I don't really want to go that route but it's not off the table. I can understand the spread of leds is not the greatest but the 2 small acros pictured are between 2 kessils with a black box beteen them.

If I want to dig deeper I'll have to invest in a par meter.

Idaho-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would evaluate flow, SPS and strong alternating flow. Hard to tell but it looks like you just have one small power head?

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
41FCAAEB-1F59-4579-8501-BA3F09ECC687.jpeg
I agree with @jda that softie warfare often gets the blame when something else might actually be going on. I've had a mixed reef for almost 5 yrs. and all of my original softies cohabitate peacefully with my SPS. As you can see in the pic, my Monti Cap has grown all around one of my toadstool leathers. No warfare here. Like you, I also have a neon green sinularia. It gets stung by a neighboring anemone occasionally but still doesn't release any toxins that I've noticed. I don't run carbon but I do run my skimmer wet. So if you like your softies, you should keep them.
:)

OP
OP
andrewkw

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would evaluate flow, SPS and strong alternating flow. Hard to tell but it looks like you just have one small power head?

Increased flow, I actually only have 2 powerheads + return. I've been meaning to get some form of gyre but to be honest I'm pretty happy with my flow pattern. Since it's a bare bottom tank I see where everything settles and a good chunk of that is in the corner. Jeabo rw 15 - 3950gph I have this on the second highest setting so 3500+ gph and a tunze 6065 at 1700 gph + return. Given that I have a lot of soft corals there is a low of movement in the tank with flow.

ftsedit_LI (5).jpg

The white lines are an alternating wave 3500gph the grey lines are 1700gph constant on going across as well as the return pump angled where there was a bit of settling.

I already bought the carbon so I'm going to try that first. Second might be add more flow, 3rd might be add more lighting. Try things one at a time to see if there is a specific thing making a difference. To be clear sps are not dying in my tank, nor are they losing colour. I just feel like I'm not getting very good growth from many. I've had mixed reef tanks for over 10 years, however 2 years ago I lost all of my sps and most of my lps in a long distance move and the tank has since shifted from being lps dominated mixed reef to soft coral dominated mixed reef.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back