Possible problem, maybe not...still asking for help with my clownfish

reefing is my hobby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, yesterday I received from ORA a bonded pair of clownfish. They are very friendly and come to the front of the tank when I approach. Today I have noticed that they swim at a slight angle approximately 60% of the time to their left side (only to left or straight up and down never to the right) at maybe a 30deg angle is this normal? The only real behavior pattern I see differently today than yesterday is they hover over the bottom of the tank more today than yesterday.
They look physically healthy and eat. They are housed in a quarantine tank. I plan to do a TTM quarantine method with them. I have fed them Reef Nutrition (TDO chroma boost (small)) soaked with Vita Chem from Boyd Enterprise and laced with API General cure in their food. I also have in their tank a full packet of API General cure in their tank. the tank is a 20-gallon tank slightly filled more than halfway.
I have cycled a sponge filter (along with 2 extra ditting in main tank ready for future steps of quarantine ) with my main tank fishless over the last 3 weeks in prep for this and I also added a fresh bottle of Dr. Tims to the quarantine tank the day prior to arrival. I am not seeing any ammonia in the tank.
I wonder is my salinity off using a Hanna Salinity meter I measured the water from ORA at 25.1ppt and my salinity in the tank is 25.5ppt. I also had an Ink bird temperature controller set at 78deg F but would only get to 76.5deg F found out my thermostat was set to low. To even further the problem the Hana checker said the temperature was 24.3deg C (75.7 deg F) So I am slowly raising the temperature as I write this.
Below you will see poor quality pictures but it clearly shows them swimming at an angle to the left

clown anle1.jpg clown angle 2.jpg

Last edited:

Omakoshark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are eating fine and still active then they are probably fine. Are there any more fish in the qt tank?

OP
OP
reefing is my hobby

reefing is my hobby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Omakoshark No other fish, these two clowns are going to be my very first two fish. In the main system once they get through quarantine. I just want to make sure I do them justice by being as responsible of a fish keeper as possible

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Big G yes there is a small powerhead in the tank for oxidation
You may already be doing this, but if you aim the powerhead up towards the surface to where it is actively rippling the water's surface, you'll get optimum O2 exchange, and give the clowns a bit of a break from current pushing them around a bit.

OP
OP
reefing is my hobby

reefing is my hobby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may already be doing this, but if you aim the powerhead up towards the surface to where it is actively rippling the water's surface, you'll get optimum O2 exchange, and give the clowns a bit of a break from current pushing them around a bit.
@Big G yes I must say you have helped in the past. I really enjoy your input. I do have the powerhead aimed at the surface and getting a very good ripple effect. But your comment about powerhead makes a lot of sense because of the way they lean only to the left, it's in the same direction as the intake of the powerhead. Thank you

OP
OP
reefing is my hobby

reefing is my hobby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JoshO you are probably correct. I am using the air stone for a few reasons one the air stone came with the pump and another reason is for the noise the air pump runs quieter with both ports being used. Also, I have not at all been physically financially responsible at all with this hobby I have no corals and just these two fish and I have over 10K sunk into the hobby already yeek.
I mentally had to decide and convince myself on four things before I would allow myself to go into this hobby, one I would invest money, I would invest time researching, I would invest time maintaining, and fourth I would swallow any self-pride and lay myself bare and be humble and seek advice from my peers. I would not try to be the smart guy in the room lol.

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JoshO you are probably correct. I am using the air stone for a few reasons one the air stone came with the pump and another reason is for the noise the air pump runs quieter with both ports being used. Also, I have not at all been physically financially responsible at all with this hobby I have no corals and just these two fish and I have over 10K sunk into the hobby already yeek.
I mentally had to decide and convince myself on four things before I would allow myself to go into this hobby, one I would invest money, I would invest time researching, I would invest time maintaining, and fourth I would swallow any self-pride and lay myself bare and be humble and seek advice from my peers. I would not try to be the smart guy in the room lol.
10k! Wow! I know it's an expensive hobby but! The researching thing I can't agree more with however. I'm about 6 years down the line from when I first started doing my research and I'm only just getting my arms salty this year!

OP
OP
reefing is my hobby

reefing is my hobby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update....unfortunately, the male clownfish has died today. He was being well taken care of not so much by me but bye my female clownfish over the last week. She persisted in nudging him over the last few days as he slowly perished away. It was quite sad to watch him perish and even sadder to watch her continue to just perk him up, knowing that she trying to save him herself. I tried everything I could he barely would eat the last few days. I thought maybe he would survive at first when I introduced vitamin-enriched brine shrimp but he gave that up after the maybe bye day 4. I scrambled and went out and bought several foods in hopes that if just keep him well nourished maybe he would pull through. she herself eats well, I tried my best but I just wasn't successful sorry to say. If I did wrong in any way I don't know and that in its self is frustrating because if I did I can learn to improve on my animal husbandry.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have an ammonia alert badge, I would get one. I also wouldn't worry about too much current but instead add something like PVC elbows of different sizes for the fish to hide in and/or orient behind to get out of the current. Since you are medicating, some medications (including the Praziquantel in your General Cure) reduce oxygen so you need all of the surface agitation you can get.

OP
OP
reefing is my hobby

reefing is my hobby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have an ammonia alert badge and Salifert ammonia and nitrate test kits. I have no ammonia or nitrates. I also do have PVC elbows for their piece of mind. Since I am doing ttm method I only had medicine in for the first 4 days initially. I also had a power head and an air stone as with a sponge filter

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back